What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I didn't realise it was that many tsps. I weigh it and mix it into my kefir and flaxseeds if I have that for breakfast. I only added 20g to my pancake though because I thought it would make it too thick. I sometimes mix it into my Greek yogurt.

I did start slowly - just 5g a day in the beginning because it did make my digestive system very windy to start with. That did wear off in time

My husband thought my pancake looked really good this morning and he has asked if I would make him one for breakfast tomorrow - but topped with lemon juice and sugar. He stopped making pancakes, which we both loved, because he felt it wasn't fair to make them just for him.

I won't add the inulin though because he doesn't have transit problems. I just have to make sure that I don't give him the wrong one.
Ah, that makes sense. I use flaxseeds - unmilled- + chia seeds as salad topping for transit arrangements. I do use inulin in tea - 2 tsps per day usually and mixed into ground flaxseed as a base for cheesecake. Turns flaxseed into something very much like digestive biscuit. Flaxseed and inulin must really speed transit. Picking up on high % chocolate, I can easily manage Waitrose 1 90% - probably because it is from Waitrose (don't judge me)

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah, that makes sense. I use flaxseeds - unmilled- + chia seeds as salad topping for transit arrangements. I do use inulin in tea - 2 tsps per day usually and mixed into ground flaxseed as a base for cheesecake. Turns flaxseed into something very much like digestive biscuit. Flaxseed and inulin must really speed transit. Picking up on high % chocolate, I can easily manage Waitrose 1 90% - probably because it is from Waitrose (don't judge me)
Hadn't thought of mixing ground flaxseeds with inulin to make a cheesecake base. I could top it with mascarpone cheese and raspberries or blackberries. This week low carb had suddenly started to become much more interesting. Looking forward to my pancake for breakfast tomorrow.

I used to pop into Waitrose to buy their chocolate and other stuff that I couldn't get anywhere else. Then I would sit and relax in their cafe with my free coffee - but I had a hissy fit when they stopped us having our free coffee in the cafe and vowed I wouldn't shop there again. Which I haven't - even though I know I am being childish.

Reactions: HarryBeau

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hadn't thought of mixing ground flaxseeds with inulin to make a cheesecake base. I could top it with mascarpone cheese and raspberries or blackberries. This week low carb had suddenly started to become much more interesting. Looking forward to my pancake for breakfast tomorrow.

I used to pop into Waitrose to buy their chocolate and other stuff that I couldn't get anywhere else. Then I would sit and relax in their cafe with my free coffee - but I had a hissy fit when they stopped us having our free coffee in the cafe and vowed I wouldn't shop there again. Which I haven't - even though I know I am being childish.

Doesn't sound childish to me ... (( ))

Rockman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Nothing to be honest
Good morning all , I can't sleep very well every couple hours I'm up for p.... Check my sugar level it's to high 22.1 mmo/L
I do need to sort out this Diabetes type 2 .
IMG_20191230_031912.jpeg

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It’s another early o’clock and awake day in the dark and dangerous north.

The wonder wheel of early morning chastisement came in at 5.1 this a.m. following a steady climb from 3.9 at about 0245 when I first woke up to a high of 5.7 at around 0430.

Three of the grandchildren are being dropped off today to stay over until Saturday (the twins, Chaos & Mayhem and their sister, Little Miss Pamplemousse). They can help prepare for open house on New Years Day by doing a bit of cooking, drawing pictures and generally making a mess. I think the plan for tomorrow is for Mrs Miggins to take them out for the day while I get on with a curry and some other, as yet to be decided, hot dish in the slow cookers.

Have a great day if you can, Watch a production of The Pirates Of Penzance if you can’t - first performed this day in 1879 at the Royal Bijou Theatre, Paignton, Devon. It’s also Get Drunk Early for Hogmanay Day according to the Pastafarian calendar.

Last edited:

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I totally agree.
It is not childish.
A free tea or coffee is nothing to them, and brings in customers. It is very short sightedness on management/head office's part. I stick to a principle.

You brought this to mind. Not quite the same, but I stick to principles, even though you might think it's outmoded or I am being bl**dy minded.
I haven't visited Sainsbury's in 25 years because the security guard physically manhandled me out because I had my first hearing dog (with deaf visibility jacket and lead etc) without even talking to me first. Security guard made such a noisy scene in the process that the whole shop, customers and staff stared at me as though I was a criminal and had stolen something. Yes I kicked up a stink on site even though security guard badly traumatised me. Management not available etc. Later all head office said eventually was sorry security guard didn't know hearing dogs for deaf were allowed in the shop, and we'll send you a bunch of flowers, but the flowers never arrived. It might sound petty but the bunch flowers never arriving was the absolute last straw.

Social media was not around then, and I was badly traumatised. So much so, that even now if (for example) I set off security alarms (the assistant has forgotten to take a tag off and I cannot hear security alarms with being deaf, not even with cochlear implant), and if a security guard stops me now I am in defence/aggressive mode ready to blow my top verbally. It is instinct now. I have had a hand unexpectedly clamped on my shoulder from behind by a security guard before now (I couldn't hear him from behind, with being deaf). So if that happens, then be very very aware....

If I have a companion with me then because they can hear they they talk with the security guard before I realise what was happening.

Back to the free tea and coffee, I do recall one supermarket chain doing a mini breakfast deal of one egg, one sausage, one piece of bacon and a cuppa with it if you were there before 10am. It was a long while ago, maybe not that long because J was alive then, so over 10 years. It brought older people in early, and they did shop as well. But it got stopped. And the early morning shoppers stopped going.

Nothing is for shoppers' convenience any more. The supermarkets could still do a free cuppa, say before 10 am or something like that.

But my principles are my principles, even a couple of decades later...

End of rant from the bl**dy minded cantankerous old lady.

Last edited:
Reactions: HarryBeau and DJC3

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fbg 6.7

Have a good Monday.
The very best you possibly can.
Be nice (?!?) to all.
Give security guards your biggest beaming smile (that is guaranteed to make them suspicious...).
Above all...have fun.

Over and out from this cantankerous old lady....

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I totally agree.
It is not childish.
A free tea or coffee is nothing to them, and brings in customers. It is very short sightedness on management/head office's part. I stick to a principle.

You brought this to mind. Not quite the same, but I stick to principles, even though you might think it's outmoded or I am being bl**dy minded.
I haven't visited Sainsbury's in 25 years because the security guard physically manhandled me out because I had my first hearing dog (with deaf visibility jacket and lead etc) without even talking to me first. Security guard made such a noisy scene in the process that the whole shop, customers and staff stared at me as though I was a criminal and had stolen something. Yes I kicked up a stink on site even though security guard badly traumatised me. Management not available etc. Later all head office said eventually was sorry security guard didn't know hearing dogs for deaf were allowed in the shop, and we'll send you a bunch of flowers, but the flowers never arrived. It might sound petty but the bunch flowers never arriving was the absolute last straw.

Social media was not around then, and I was badly traumatised. So much so, that even now if (for example) I set off security alarms (the assistant has forgotten to take a tag off and I cannot hear security alarms with being deaf, not even with cochlear implant), and if a security guard stops me now I am in defence/aggressive mode ready to blow my top verbally. It is instinct now. I have had a hand unexpectedly clamped on my shoulder from behind by a security guard before now (I couldn't hear him from behind, with being deaf). So if that happens, then be very very aware....

If I have a companion with me then because they can hear they they talk with the security guard before I realise what was happening.

Back to the free tea and coffee, I do recall one supermarket chain doing a mini breakfast deal of one egg, one sausage, one piece of bacon and a cuppa with it if you were there before 10am. It was a long while ago, maybe not that long because J was alive then, so over 10 years. It brought older people in early, and they did shop as well. But it got stopped. And the early morning shoppers stopped going.

Nothing is for shoppers' convenience any more. The supermarkets could still do a free cuppa, say before 10 am or something like that.

You sound like me and I am not a bl**dy minded cantankerous old lady, I do try to be a lady but I also try to be a strong-minded woman and although I do have kid gloves, mine are scarlet-red.

I am afraid that if someone were to sneak up behind me and clamp a hand on my shoulder they might get a heel in their shin. Just a reflex -- I am after all a city girl.

I think I should go to bed now ...
with catlike tread ...
g61142.gif

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am afraid that if someone were to sneak up behind me and clamp a hand on my shoulder they might get a heel in their shin. Just a reflex -- I am after all a city girl.

I wholeheartedly agree @SaskiaKC

t31195.gif

Sweet dreams for you and KittenCat >^••^<

Last edited:

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good Morning and a 5.2 today.

I am definitely off for a long Muddy Bike Ride today been neglecting the heathland and woodland trails over the last few weeks with MIL situation.

Enjoy every bit of your day one and all.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Fbg of 6.4 . At least I tested. Feels like I have let Julie down this Decemebr. She made a big effort to acquire LC/keto treats and readings have been the worst of the 5 Christmases eating this way. A1c earlier has raised huge doubts. It doesn't help when I watch videos /talks like the Australian guy Debs posted - all so believable - (until I try.) Clear but unspoken feeling from J that such times are basically self harm (pretty much owned there). 89.99 yo MIL returned home yesterday pm after 5 days away but will be back Sunday for 90th celebration. @Muddy Cyclist great fbg. @dunelm your day of prep and time with grandchildren sounds perfect. @Krystyna23040 admire your stand and all that but I'm unlikely to shun Waitrose . Have a great day. Me? I happily see and trust the faith - fulfilment in Jonah + whale but not LCHF = T2 control. I keep hearing Bill Nighy saying "these are dark days Mr Potter. I don't know what you're planning but ...." Go figure.

Last edited:

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I totally agree.
It is not childish.

@gennepher that is absolutely dreadful and absolutely understandable that the trauma of the incident has stayed with you. Sainsbury's hasn't learnt anything in the 25 years since your incident. Just before I read your post I read the following in the online Metro:

'A mother says she was left humiliated when a supermarket worker shouted at her and told her to leave for bringing her dog into the shop. Bex Clifton, 36, went to Sainsbury’s in Basingstoke, Hampshire, with emotional support dog Maxxy where she was challenged after 25 minutes of shopping. She said the member of staff said her nine-year-old Jack Russell collie cross was not a real service dog and had to be removed from the store.'

There is too much of this happening at the moment. I will join you as another bl**dy minded cantankerous old lady and have now added Sainsbury's to my list of shops that I will not set foot in again.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All. 6.5 and no reason unless you can count a poor night's sleep. I think I am in agreement with @ianpspurs today because for the past two days I have defo have had less than 20g carbs and still reading high in the morning though it levels out during the day.
Anyway dont have any choice but keep going. I cant fast bit I can do “almost OMAD”.
I hope you all have a good day. Stay well, stay safe.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@gennepher sorry for the store incident and sorry they didnt take the complaint seriously. Thats the real stinker here. I bought an iron at Sainsburys a few months ago and though I noticed all the boxes on the shelf were damaged in the same place I didnt care. The iron overheated, thermostat failed and it took an hour to cool down. Went back and told them that probably that whole batch was dangerous because of damaged box and might have been dropped in a warehouse. They said there was no need to worry because if anyone else comes back they will just refund them. I phoned Customer Service and got an even less interested response. I just hope noone had a fire or serious injury.
These stores need to get their act together.

Reactions: DJC3