Pre Christmas Diagnosis

TardisDee

Hi, like many I was newly diagnosed just before Christmas with a routine blood test as I am on blood pressure tablets. Somewhat of a shock but getting my head around it. Hb1AC level of 85. Been given Metformin, which after a few days of hating, seemed to settle. Unfortunately had norovirus Christmas Eve so couldn’t take for a couple of days but didn’t eat either! Also put on statins as cholesterol a little high (5.9). Currently 1 500mg tablet a day but due to start increasing them very soon.

I didn’t have any symptoms although I am known for getting “hangry” if I go for too long without food. I am also very overweight - doctor weighed me at 106kg. (Have lost 1.5kg since diagnosis)

I am quite ok with doing a low carb diet, although I am not sure how low to go at this stage, at the moment I am aiming for under 150g per day lower if possible, several days have been close to 100g.

Apart from initial diagnosis I haven’t seen anyone yet, although I already have separate appointments for feet and retinopathy testing.

My main question at the moment os whether I should buy a glucose monitor to test my blood? Or should is be something I discuss with a diabetic nurse or doctor first. Do you need to test?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi TardisDee and welcome to the forum.
To start with here’s a link to our useful info post:
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.17088/
Many of us here control our blood sugar levels and lose weight eating low carb.
I take Metformin and eat between 30g - 50g carbs/day and maintain non diabetic numbers on that. I started at the 100g level and gradually dropped over the first six months or so. I tested before and after meals to see what level of carbs I could tolerate.
Unfortunately type 2s are not routinely offered testing kit on prescription but self fund as it provides invaluable info. If you want info on meters let us know.

TardisDee

Thank you for your response. I have been reading about the site and see a recommendation for an inexpensive codefree monitor. But any other suggestions would be very appreciated.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You are like me. My diabetic condition was recognised after a blood test that was initially taken after my blood pressure seemed to be getting out of hand.

Once I discovered the lower carb higher fat solution it took me just a matter of a month or so to bring my blood glucose down to within a normal range, my weight dropped and my blood pressure dropped significantly. Unlike you my condition was complete with a number of other symptoms which also disappeared when my blood sugar levels returned to normal.

I aim for 130grams of carbs per day or less.

Reactions: MargaretR

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Here’s some info on meters, and to be clear I have no commercial connections with any of the companies mentioned. For a meter with cheap strips go for the Tee2 + found here:

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-plus-blood-glucose-meter/ with the strips found here:

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-testing-strips/

With more expensive strips is the Caresens Dual which I currently use, this one has the advantage of glucose and ketone testing in one machine, it’s to be found here:

https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/collections/caresens-dual

And to be totally transparent I used to use the SD Code Free which has the cheapest strips available. However I found it to be becoming less and less reliable, although I hear reliability may have improved now. Here it is for anyone wanting to give it a go:

http://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/blood-glucose-monitor/

and here for the extra strips

http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/sd-codefree-test-strips-to-be-used-only-with-the-sd-monitor/

There are discount codes if you buy in bulk.

5 packs 264086

10 packs 975833

Don’t forget to check the box that you have diabetes so you can buy VAT free. (for all meters and strips)

brianmt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm almost 3 years from diagnosis, my Hb1ac was 95, within 3 months I was back to normal blood sugar levels. I tested and tested and it paid off. My bloods have been in the low 30's for over 2 years now. For the last 18 months only test once daily , first thing in the morning, and that's it . Bloods are never above 5.5. Last test just before xmas came back at 30 so I decided to cut myself some slack, mince pies , trifle xmas cake ( small potions) the works and still my daily test never went above 5.5. Only downside I put on 10lbs in a fortnight !!! oh well strict no carb for me next month. The support on this site is fantastic, use it. In a strange way being diagnosed with diabetes changed my life for the better, I lost 4st and got of my butt and moved around a lot more, I feel so much better . Take your diagnoses as a wake up call. Funnily enough once i made the decision I found low carb easy. Best of luck just remember we've all been were you are now

Reactions: Listlad

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am just over three years from diagnosis and stay very low carb - not because I have to from the point of view of blood glucose, but because I am back to normal - eating too many carbs means they are stashed away as fat - so my weight goes up very fast - just as it used to do decades ago. I have to go very low - under 40 gm of carbs a day - but eating salad and low carb veges, full fat yoghurt, cream, a few berries, that is fine. I'd rather eat this way than stodge and falling asleep after lunch.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

I very much recommend that you get a meter. As you will have read we are all slightly different in the amount and types of carbs that our bodies can tolerate. Some, like me, have gone very low carb. I did this so I could try to bring my levels down as soon as possible and try to get rid of some of the insulin resistance. I was in the normal range in less than 3 months

once you have a meter you will be able to experiment and work out how low carb you need to go the fasting/early morning reading is usually the last to decrease due to the dawn phenomena.

read around on this site, ask questions, everyone here has been where you are now

good luck and welcome.

Route 66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Welcome.

The best gift you can get yourself this Christmas is a meter. Test, Test and Test and you will soon have a great idea of how different foods affect you and what you can and can't eat.

Its also a great motivator as you see your averages come down.

Good luck.

mouseee

Definitely a meter. Tesco pharmacy has one for £10 with £10 for 100 strips. Works fine well for me.

TardisDee

Thank you. I will look to get one now Christmas is over. I work 5 mins walk from Tesco so that may be the easiest one for me to get. We will see what happens over the next few months. Thank you for all the advice.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh I should add that Home Health who supply the Code Free have also recently bought out this one:
https://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/gluconavii-blood-sugar-meter-glucose-monitor-starter-kit/
I haven’t heard much about it on the forum yet.
@Rachox, thanks, I'm very interested to read about this meter, as Home Health claim it is more accurate than the Codefree. I am wondering if they will be offering a discount for buying 5 / 10 packs of strips. I am surprised they claim that a smaller drop of blood is needed, as it seems to me the amount of blood needed to test with the Codefree is already tiny.

Might it be worth posting a question about the meter on the bg Monitoring Forum, in the hopes that someone who is not reading this post has experience of it?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Rachox, thanks, I'm very interested to read about this meter, as Home Health claim it is more accurate than the Codefree. I am wondering if they will be offering a discount for buying 5 / 10 packs of strips. I am surprised they claim that a smaller drop of blood is needed, as it seems to me the amount of blood needed to test with the Codefree is already tiny

I haven’t tried the new Home Health meter, I’m afraid I defected to one of the Spirit Healthcare ones when my SD Code Free didn’t seem to be providing reliable readings anymore,

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
I am just over three years from diagnosis and stay very low carb - not because I have to from the point of view of blood glucose, but because I am back to normal - eating too many carbs means they are stashed away as fat - so my weight goes up very fast - just as it used to do decades ago. I have to go very low - under 40 gm of carbs a day - but eating salad and low carb veges, full fat yoghurt, cream, a few berries, that is fine. I'd rather eat this way than stodge and falling asleep after lunch.
I can NEVER find full fat yogurt Resurgam ... why is this?

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
I don't see full fat runny yogurt, but have no problem finding full fat Greek-style yogurt.

Reactions: coby

TardisDee

So I got the Tesco monitor for now as it is easy for me to get the replacement strips whenever I am in there. After a few goes I have got the hang of testing I think. So this morning fasting was 8.6. After porridge, shopping and swim, bloods 2hrs 20 mins later was 7.5. Although I know these levels are too high, I am hoping they reflect a downward trend from my initial diagnosis of Hb1ac. Have yet to get my head around comparisons. Blood test again in just over a week so hop to see a small change.

Reactions: Lotties

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can NEVER find full fat yogurt Resurgam ... why is this?
Maybe the insidious influence of the low fat mantra?
I find it in Lidl and Tesco, so it is around - but you can make it yourself from full fat milk and a small amount of live yoghurt as a starter. I add in any spare cream as I often see the use by date approaching. Tesco cream seems to last better than others I have tried.

Jam&Scones

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Diet only
So I got the Tesco monitor for now as it is easy for me to get the replacement strips whenever I am in there. After a few goes I have got the hang of testing I think. So this morning fasting was 8.6. After porridge, shopping and swim, bloods 2hrs 20 mins later was 7.5. Although I know these levels are too high, I am hoping they reflect a downward trend from my initial diagnosis of Hb1ac. Have yet to get my head around comparisons. Blood test again in just over a week so hop to see a small change.

I had very high levels when I first started testing, but after a few weeks/months they started to creep down - for example, I was hovering around 8 after meals, then I seemed to go into a period of getting into the 6 range and finally (after 4 months) I regularly get in the 5 range. I too wondered at the beginning how long it would take, but I think it is different for everyone. Hang in there.

Reactions: coby