Diet

jegsy

Hi. I'm new to the site but been Type 2 for about a decade. Using 4 Metformin 500mg daily. Very much like to reduce my HbA1c from 61 to 53 where it was six months ago and possibly lower it further by diet . Interested in any recipes that might help but are spicy enough to look forward to eating.

Reactions: ianpspurs

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
www.dietdoctor.com has lots of recipes that are great for reducing blood glucose levels for T2's.
I have some of their keto chilli cooking as I type..
Lowering carbs will be very beneficial for you.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I love a korma style or tomato based chicken curry, with curried onion and spinach (no potato), and cauliflower rice. Just make the sauce a but thicker as the cauli rice doesn't absorb it.
Or just beef or turkey chilli, limit the tomatoes/beans as they are the main carb in this, again a nice thick sauce and eat with cauli rice.
I make my own cauliflower rice, just grate sprinkle on a little oil and roast at 180 (160 fan oven) for about 13 min, stir halfway through.
Real greek yogurt, 5% fat is the lowest carb yogurt, and tastes delicious either with the curries or as pud with a few raspberries stirred in.

cut root vegs, pasta and rice, have green veg, mushrooms, cauliflower, lettuce, celery, etc.
eat eggs, cheese, meat, fish
eat berries but avoid or limit any other fruit
have a protein based breakfast
make 90 second micro bread?

jegsy

I love a korma style or tomato based chicken curry, with curried onion and spinach (no potato), and cauliflower rice. Just make the sauce a but thicker as the cauli rice doesn't absorb it.
Or just beef or turkey chilli, limit the tomatoes/beans as they are the main carb in this, again a nice thick sauce and eat with cauli rice.
I make my own cauliflower rice, just grate sprinkle on a little oil and roast at 180 (160 fan oven) for about 13 min, stir halfway through.
Real greek yogurt, 5% fat is the lowest carb yogurt, and tastes delicious either with the curries or as pud with a few raspberries stirred in.

cut root vegs, pasta and rice, have green veg, mushrooms, cauliflower, lettuce, celery, etc.
eat eggs, cheese, meat, fish
eat berries but avoid or limit any other fruit
have a protein based breakfast
make 90 second micro bread?
Thanks Tricia. Do you use the sauces you see in the supermarket?

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Unfortunately most sauces you see in the supermarkets are much higher in Carbs than you might think.
My wife still buys several items from the supermarket with sauces, but chooses those with a separate sachet - that way I can have either less sauce or no sauce on my portion.

sugarmog

The "Spice Tailor" range of curry sauces can be surprisingly low in carbs, ranging from about 8 - 15 grams per serving depending on which one you choose. I combine theses with a quarter pack of pre cooked Tilda rice (approx 15 carbs), vegetables, chicken or fish to create a decent sized curry for around 25 -30 carbs, which is OK for me although some people may consider this a bit high. If you choose the lowest carb sauce and forgo the rice, you can still have a pretty decent curry experience for around 10 carbs or so depending on the protein you use.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have a look at the Lloyd Grossman range, they are not very high carb. If you like a mild curry the Bhuna is worth a try.