ACCESS TO YOUR MEDICATION AS A HOSPITAL INPATIENT

DGO

Hello. Are there any rgulations relating to access to insulin equipment and medication whilst being a hospital inpatient? I refer to type 1 who are on multiple dose regimes. I was told the hospital staff can take the insulin pens away from you, giving you access to them only at pre determined injection times.

janabelle

Dislikes
Lack of choice of insulin for newly diagnosed patients.
Dog owners who let their dogs poop in the street-a hazard for most, but worse if you're visually impaired!
Having RP
I don't know if there are any regulations, but personally I would never accept nursing staff taking medication without me having access to it, no way Jose!! Whenever I've been in hospital, while having my children, I was in control of my insulin and testing, frankly the nursing staff would not have had a clue what to do anyway. I doubt things have changed, I hope not anyway, as I'm probably going in for a procedure soon myself and woe betide anyone who tries to take my insulin :evil:
What's prompted you to enquire about his subject?
Jus :)

Tracey69

Hi
I have had a few operations, and kept my insulin in my bag, also did my own test unless they really want to check themselves. They may suggest you don't take any insulin if you are put on a sliding scale, this is usually done with you having a canula in the hand and on a sort of pump. Depends what the reasons behind you being in there. One thing i would worn you about make sure if your kept in one position that you don't get bed sore on your heels, as this happened to me.
I shouldn't think they need to take your insulin away, but please remember they treat us all differently, just be confident in the way you tell them you know what you are doing.
Take care, hope all is well
Tracey

Marvin

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I was whisked into hospital as an emergency last week... not diabetes related.... and had the presence of mind to take all my medication with me (ten different drugs to be taken at four different times of day). I was left in sole charge to self medicate, and treated like a real, intelligent adult. Full marks to Warwick Hospital! They even checked my BG three times a day, at their expense, (and I'm type 2!), and I was also offered pain killers every time there was a drug round on the ward, so it wasn't a case of forgetting me. I'm not on Insulin, but I don't see why those who are should be treated any differently.

josie38

HI,

Whenever Ive been in hospital Ive been in charge of my own testing and medication (T1). The pharmicist had been round to check what insulin i was taking and the nurses inquired what my bs was so they could put it on the chart and had done my injections and how much i had given so if anything goes wrong they have the facts.

Josie

ClaireG 06

When my diabetes was tablet controlled, the nurses used to lock my tablets away in the locker and dispense them to me.

Now i'm on insulin, i've been allowed to keep and administer it to myself and also do my own testing. My medication for other conditions has been kept locked in the locker and dispensed by the nurses.

byte83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I was in hsopital last year they only let me have my inhalers everything else they locked away, and only gave me them on drug rounds. They also changed the times that i took them, (eg some evening ones they gave me in the morning). It was bit akward, as i have ibs as well and take some of the tablets as n when needed, but that was not possible when they were locked away. Nurses always busy so couldnt always get them. Different hospitals have different ways of doing things, round here they think we are incapable of looking after ourselves, despite the fact I manage perfectly well at home on my own.

paula1974

Ive been in hospital loads :( and each time, as soon as I was able, I kept my insulin with me at all times. Nurses would ask me what my bs was 4 times a day and how much insulin I had taken. They also gave me snacks to keep in case of hypo. When I wasnt able I was on a sliding scale (already explained above).

Paula

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
They can be terrible, and take all your medication away and only give it back whenever the nurse decides it's convinient for him/her to do it. So if the drugs round is at 1pm, that's when you'll get your medication, even if you are supposed to have it at 2pm.

It's not just people with diabetes this causes problems for, Parkinson's UK has a whole campaign fighting againsit it: http://www.parkinsons.org.uk/about_us/p ... paign.aspx