I feel like I have diabetes but my blood test show that I don't?

Neutralview43

Over the last few weeks, I've had all symptoms of diabetes: increased thirst, peeing more than usual, cuts that don't heal, dizziness & muscle pain after running, unable to sleep,etc

So I went to the doctor who prescibed a blood test for diabetes : fasting glucose test & H1bac ( I'm not sure how it's spelt?)

Anyway I then decided for a week to avoid eating sugar & carbs which I did. Suddenly all my "diabetes" symptoms went away.

So 1 week later, I did the blood test. My results surprised me as I was certain I had diabetes or at least prediabetes because of all the symptoms I was experiencing. My fasting glucose was 0.92 & my H1bac was 5.5% or mmol which is in the normal range ( above 1.20 in the fasting glucose & above 6.5% / mmol for Hb1ac

So I was relieved. Since the blood test I decided I could eat sugary foods since my glucose levels were normal. But after adding sugary foods to my diet, I'm getting the diabets symptoms again!

After eating foods high in sugar, I become thirsty, I'm urinating more often again, I can't sleep, my legs still hurt even though the last time I went jogging was weeks ago ( so my muscles aren't repairing itself like it should: a clear sign of diabetes), I have a cut that is taking a long time to heal,etc

So my theory is that maybe my results are false results since I stopped eating sugar & carbs 1 week before the blood test, thats why my blood sugar levels are normal? The foods I ate during that 1 week lowered my blood sugar levels. But once I eat a food high in sugar ( whether it's a chocolate bar or toast), I can feel it spikes my blood sugar levels through the roof!

So do I need to do another blood test? Do I have diabetes or not? I'm confused

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Over the last few weeks, I've had all symptoms of diabetes: increased thirst, peeing more than usual, cuts that don't heal, dizziness & muscle pain after running, unable to sleep,etc

So I went to the doctor who prescibed a blood test for diabetes : fasting glucose test & H1bac ( I'm not sure how it's spelt?)

Anyway I then decided for a week to avoid eating sugar & carbs which I did. Suddenly all my "diabetes" symptoms went away.

So 1 week later, I did the blood test. My results surprised me as I was certain I had diabetes or at least prediabetes because of all the symptoms I was experiencing. My fasting glucose was 0.92 & my H1bac was 5.5% or mmol which is in the normal range ( above 1.20 in the fasting glucose & above 6.5% / mmol for Hb1ac

So I was relieved. Since the blood test I decided I could eat sugary foods since my glucose levels were normal. But after adding sugary foods to my diet, I'm getting the diabets symptoms again!

After eating foods high in sugar, I become thirsty, I'm urinating more often again, I can't sleep, my legs still hurt even though the last time I went jogging was weeks ago ( so my muscles aren't repairing itself like it should: a clear sign of diabetes), I have a cut that is taking a long time to heal,etc

So my theory is that maybe my results are false results since I stopped eating sugar & carbs 1 week before the blood test, thats why my blood sugar levels are normal? The foods I ate during that 1 week lowered my blood sugar levels. But once I eat a food high in sugar ( whether it's a chocolate bar or toast), I can feel it spikes my blood sugar levels through the roof!

Firstly, we can't diagnose on here, but we can hazard guesses and make suggestions, so.... No straight forward answers for you from me today at least, dunno whether others'll chime in. Secondly, I'm not entirely sure about your numbers. With a fasting blood glucose of 0.92, you'd be either comatose or more likely dead, so I'm guessing you might have meant 92? (A fasting glucose of 1.20 would be rather dire too, so I take it you meant 120?). A HbA1c is a test that looks at about 3 months's worth of blood glucose, weighing in more heavily on the last 2 weeks, so just one week of cutting out sugar wouldn't put it in the normal range. Considering what you're experiencing though, I think you might want to do a few things : Go back to your doctor and get checked out more thoroughly. Could be anything, from a UTI to lord knows what, but may be easily treatable. Also, get your own blood glucose meter if you're not at ease with the lab results you've had so far. Test before a meal and 2 hours after the first bite, see what your numbers are doing and whether your body has an appropriate response to foods. (Ideally you shouldn't see numbers over 8,5 mmol/l or 153mg/dl, depending on what measurement your meter tests in, but that does sometimes happen in non-diabetics all the same, so.... Just test a few times, see what happens.). And basically, well... If you feel better on low carb, it's okay for you to stick with low carb. It's not just for diabetics, so even if you aren't one, if it makes you feel better, heal faster, go for it. If you want to, of course.

Whatever way this turns out, you're not alone and if we can help, we will.
Good luck!
Jo

Last edited:

Mike Sixx

I am no doctor but I think Blood Glugose test are pretty darn conlusive: You not likely to(*) have Diabetes. Specially the Hba1C test, called 'long term sugar'. There are so many other things that can cause similar symproms that I with my very limited medical knowledge know of. Starting from several vitamin and mineral deficiencies than can be solved by normal vitamil pills. Then there are the hormone effects that are trivial to solve (read: cure) with hormone boost injections.Then not to dwell in tha darker side but there are more serious problems tha can cause similar symptoms.
So I think you should stop fixating on diabetes and go see doctor start fixuring out and eliminating possible causes.

Thirst, frequest urination and leg pains... First two are also symptoms of diabetes, but leg pains I think are not for pre-diabetes/early diabetes. Leg pains are when you have had Hba1C for like 15-10 for YEARS.

Also about re-testing. First Hba1C is loooong term sugar levels, you can not test for it more than once every 3-4 months. As it show you blood sugar level of red blood cells when they were born. This value does not ever change during the blood cells life which is 3-ish months (I do not rember exactly: 2-4 months) So it takes about 4 months that enough of your blood cells have been renewed to to show any significant change. So it is pointless to test that more frequently. Also nothing you ate or did in past month will have had ANY effect on the Hba1C test result. Unless you suspect your blood test was somehow contaminated in lab, which is unlikely to be contaminated downwards even if it was. And even more unlikely that it would effect BOTH testsrs.

The fasting , fat, blood Glucose level test on the other hand is temperameltal. Many things can spike it upwards, stress an spike it like 30% upwards, same with lack of sleep, flu, infection and what you ate in past 10-12 hours. That is why they also take Hba1C which should not be fooled by any sudden changes.

So seek advice from doctor armed with your test results and the doctor can make next quess and order next battery of test to eliminate more potential causes. I would guess doctor might test your kidneys next, if not already have done so.

* Nothing is this life and specially in medicine is "sure".

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
In my case my symptoms were particularly prominent but my HbA1c results last year and a few years earlier were pretty close to or under the designated levels for prediabetes i.e. 41. What seemed to ultimately prove things was the reversal of symptoms once my blood sugars were lowered to 35 / 36. In other words, for some, the symptoms can be more significant than the test results.

As has been said many times on these boards, we are all different.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

hi and welcome :)

there are a number of different conditions that cause symptoms that match the symptoms of diabetes, so you may be getting ahead of yourself.

the way i see it, you have a few options:
- go and ask your doc for more tests to eliminate other conditions
- get a more detailed understanding of how diabetes develops. I recommend www.bloodsugar101.com T2 diabetes develops in various different ways.
- get yourself a blood glucose test meter and see what your blood glucose is when you experience the symptoms.

the trouble with the third option is that in my experience healthcare professionals seem to dislike undiagnosed people presenting evidence of self testing and self diagnosis. However, it is your call.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome

I agree with previous posters that you may want to go back to your doctor and have more tests. If you are concerned- get a glucose meter and measure your levels when you get the symptoms you describe. If your levels are normal then that would suggest there is something else at play.

I also think that you can continue to low carb, but I really think it is worthwhile getting your doctor to rule out any other problems.

Good luck and I hope you get down to the bottom of whatever is causing the symptoms.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome

I agree with previous posters that you may want to go back to your doctor and have more tests. If you are concerned- get a glucose meter and measure your levels when you get the symptoms you describe. If your levels are normal then that would suggest there is something else at play.

I also think that you can continue to low carb, but I really think it is worthwhile getting your doctor to rule out any other problems.

Good luck and I hope you get down to the bottom of whatever is causing the symptoms.
Just to expand on my previous post on this, even with an HbA1c of 41, my GP still talked of his concern for my diabetes. At times we can get a bit too hung up on the numbers ( and that does include the GP’s too of course ).

@Neutralview43

“Anyway I then decided for a week to avoid eating sugar & carbs which I did. Suddenly all my "diabetes" symptoms went away.”

That’s exactly what happened to me over the course of about a month.

Last edited:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Mike Sixx
I just wanted to clarify a couple of things from your post

Leg pains are when you have had Hba1C for like 15-10 for YEARS.

While I think it is highly unlikely that @Neutralview43 has complications from diabetes, we have members with diabetes who experience related leg pain (there are numerous leg conditions related to diabetes), and these do not all require high HbA1cs for years. Some members are pre-diabetic when they are diagnosed with such complications.

Also about re-testing. First Hba1C is loooong term sugar levels, you can not test for it more than once every 3-4 months. As it show you blood sugar level of red blood cells when they were born. This value does not ever change during the blood cells life which is 3-ish months (I do not rember exactly: 2-4 months) So it takes about 4 months that enough of your blood cells have been renewed to to show any significant change. So it is pointless to test that more frequently. Also nothing you ate or did in past month will have had ANY effect on the Hba1C test result. Unless you suspect your blood test was somehow contaminated in lab, which is unlikely to be contaminated downwards even if it was. And even more unlikely that it would effect BOTH testsrs.

Doctors routinely request HbA1cs at shorter intervals than 4 months.
It may be to double check an unexpected result, or to confirm a diagnosis (or not). It may even be regular 3 monthly checkups.

The average life of red blood cells is around 3 months, but dietary changes and changes in blood glucose levels can show up much more quickly than that.
The HbA1c result is weighted more towards the most recent month or two, with even more weighting towards the most recent 2 weeks.
We have members who make significant differences in their test results within a few weeks (within a month) - to their astonished delight. :D

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

NeutralView - My suggestion is you go back to your Doctor and ask for further investigations into the symptoms you are experiencing.

My strong suggestion is you don't get hung up on having diabetes, because there are other things that an cause some, or all of the things you are experiencing. The problem with giving it a name, or making a strong association, as you have done is it had been known for Doctors to be almost persuaded their patient in front of them is maybe right, without excluding other things.

This happened to a friend of mine once who went to his GP stating he had read an article in the newspaper. The article he had read exactly described his long-standing symptoms. The article was about a nasty form of arthritis; psoriatic arthritis. He was started on some horrible strong meds.

His inflammation calmed down a bit, but about 2 years later his wife noticed he had terrible flare ups, and another symptom, if he ate bread, or drank beer. Based on that, and further tests, the diagnosis was changed from psoriatic arthritis to coeliac disease.

It appears he persuaded his Doc he was right, so the Doc didn't bother to look any further. Please don't fall into that trap. It was dangerous for him.

Just go back with an open mind and ask your Doc to solve the puzzle. That's what he has trained all those years for.

Last edited:

aard

In my case I had symptons of diabetes for years but h1 tests always came back ok so they were dismissed as not being due to diabetes but nothing else diagnosed and all other tests ok.

After a few years i became prediabetic so the symptons were still dismissed as not being due to diabetes.

Now i’m T2 and the symptons have decreased as i have altered my diet .

So who knows if all those years ago the symptons were related to developing diabetes?

Reactions: Listlad

Antechinus

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Why would you want to go back to eating sugar if you feel like rubbish if you do? Avoid it, and it's white death. Your body is telling you to eat a healthier diet.

Perhaps you should have asked for a fasting insulin test in the original blood tests. Very common to have high insulin and normal blood sugars.

Insulin is so important to how the body functions and hyperinsulinemia is so common and so often overlooked by gp's

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
In my case I had symptons of diabetes for years but h1 tests always came back ok so they were dismissed as not being due to diabetes but nothing else diagnosed and all other tests ok.

After a few years i became prediabetic so the symptons were still dismissed as not being due to diabetes.

Now i’m T2 and the symptons have decreased as i have altered my diet .

So who knows if all those years ago the symptons were related to developing diabetes?
Essentially this has been my story too. Lower readings but plenty of symptoms that have been reversed once going lower carb, higher fat.

I am glad there is more than one of us as some folk are inclined to disbelieve.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

My son was suffering some symptoms, peeing a lot, not feeling good, thirsty so I tested him and his BG level was good, but I advised him to see his GP.
He did and he had high cholesterol @ 7.5

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I don’t understand ‘how you feel diabetic,’ I’ve been diabetic for 20+ years and I don’t ‘feel’ diabetic. It’s only because I know I am!

Reactions: porl69

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I don’t understand ‘how you feel diabetic,’ I’ve been diabetic for 20+ years and I don’t ‘feel’ diabetic. It’s only because I know I am!
My thoughts exactly

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My thoughts exactly
I suppose one can feel diabetic if the classic T2 symptoms are present.

If however the T2 symptoms have been reversed then one may not feel them (diabetes) at all...