Pumping Fiasp... Unexplained highs

Postleneo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This has happened a few times now... Been on an insulin pump a number of years.. Previously Animas vibe and since last year the Omnipod. Found I can have almost perfect readings then suddenly out of nowhere get unexplained high blood shugs for no apparent reason an no matter how much I correct they take an age to come down And sometimes I need to use my pen to shift them... Can anyone please explain this... Stating to get really frustrating!!
IMG_20191230_205123_771.jpg

Postleneo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How long do you keep your Fiasp?
I have found Fiasp only last a couple of weeks out of the fridge and then turns to water.
I experienced this with my Animas Vibe and my latest pump. But never experienced it with NovoRapid.
Hi Kim Possible... Thanks for response... One vial usually lasts about 12 days and always keep it in the fridge it's only out when I fill up the pod

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This has happened a few times now... Been on an insulin pump a number of years.. Previously Animas vibe and since last year the Omnipod. Found I can have almost perfect readings then suddenly out of nowhere get unexplained high blood shugs for no apparent reason an no matter how much I correct they take an age to come down And sometimes I need to use my pen to shift them... Can anyone please explain this... Stating to get really frustrating!! View attachment 37498

I sympathise.
I am much more insulin resistant if I get high & have to be more aggressive with my corrections. I use a Tandem pump & some people maintain that it's rather slow infusion rate doesn't help. I'm not sure.
For me the best answer is not to get high in the first place.. easier said than done though!

ronialive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ignorant people
Hi Kim Possible... Thanks for response... One vial usually lasts about 12 days and always keep it in the fridge it's only out when I fill up the pod
the pod lasts 3 days I believe and I was told with fiasp you have to change every ther day or the insulin deteriorates. Even 2 days is a hard push for stable sugars. try changing pod more often for fiasp

richyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cold weather
This has happened a few times now... Been on an insulin pump a number of years.. Previously Animas vibe and since last year the Omnipod. Found I can have almost perfect readings then suddenly out of nowhere get unexplained high blood shugs for no apparent reason an no matter how much I correct they take an age to come down And sometimes I need to use my pen to shift them... Can anyone please explain this... Stating to get really frustrating!! View attachment 37498
I was on fiasco for about 9 months in a pen.(now on insight pump). At the start it was very good fast insulin. But I found the longer I was on it the speed and effectiveness lessened. It ended up being slower than humalog or the actrapid I am now on. So it was getting less effective as time went on. Ended up not liking it.(type1..for54yrs)

Postleneo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks all for you responses and advice... Just an update... Now 4 days in of high shugs and have spoken to my diabetic nurse who has stated my that my insulin requirements may have changed and recommended temp increasing basal rates and lowering ratios and isf. Now running at a temp basal of +60% all day and still been correcting!! Think a further 10% increase on the cards and if by Monday still no joy may request a change in insulin... Any recommendations re quickness of acting and stability using a pump would be appreciated... Only ever used fiasp in a pump and novorapid via pen.

Reactions: deborabaratto