Prescribed Dapagliflozin yet on Keto Diet :|

MillieT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi, I went to collect me prescription yesterday for my Empagliflozin and when i arrived home i have that plus a packet of Dapagliflozin, I have read on the internet that you should not take the latter if you have ketones in your system yet I'm on a high fat / low carb Keto diet- and obviously do have them floating about, I called the surgery to ask why i have been given this and all i got was that the doctor is getting around to calling people this month to let them know he has decided to change their medication .... like Really? he can do this without consultation and tell me to take it!? I don't think so, my sugar levels are right down on this diet, i have lost weight though still have water problems, apart from this in just over 2 weeks i have really noticed the difference.

Please excuse my ignorance but because of the name i thought they may be the same but a different name but obviously not, does anyone else have the same problems and or have taken the latter instead, i'm not about to start taking something new if it potentially is going to make me ill. please advise.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Dap and Emp are in the same family of drugs, SGLT2i's. They are both (along with a third drug in the family) contra indicated alongside a ketogenic diet because they raise the risk of DKA.

I suggest that you speak to your prescriber ASAP.

MillieT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
This is what i initially thought though I was unaware that they both have the same make up, It is all very odd, my sugars after eating keto (chicken crust) pizza tonight are 6.4, all over the holiday they have been no higher than 7mmol though i do get thirsty and drink a couple of litres a day.