Thanks

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Many people on here use plain full-fat Greek yoghurt for a good low carb option.

Reactions: P1ckle

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat loads of full fat plain Greek yoghourt, typically with double cream and defrosted forest fruits (strawberry’s raspberry’s blackberrys). No sugar or sweetner. This keeps the carb consumption low.

I typically buy “Lancashire Farm” by the 1kg pot at 6 grams of carbs per 100grams.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lexilulu and P1ckle

P1ckle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks. Had heard skyr was good but wasn’t sure if it was better than full fat Greek.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What yoghurt can I eat for lowest carb?

Thanks

P1ckle - Being the earth mother, ultimate housekeeper that I am (and, yes, I an joking there) I make my own yoghurt. That way I know there are no additions, if I haven't made them.

I know people quite successfully use Lidl's own Greek Style yoghurt. It comes in either a 1kg "bucket" or smaller cartons. Aldi do something similar I understand.

Fage, also Greek, is popular.

To be honest, avoiding anything that's marked "low fat" is a step in the right direction in the regard.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks. Had heard skyr was good but wasn’t sure if it was better than full fat Greek.
Skyr has more carbs than full fat Greek yoghurt. I either have Fage or Yeo Valley organic.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Strictly speaking, Skyr is a soft cheese, as opposed to a yoghurt. It is high protein, but should be zero fat.

It isn't really carb heavy, but the fatty element of full fat yoghurt helps keep us feeling fuller for longer.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Full fat Greek for me, but always check the label for carbs.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to make my own yoghurts when I had a cooker with a pilot light. I used to put my iron griddle over the small flame and place a jar of milk powder dissolved in milk on top of it, adding a little yoghurt from a previous batch. Back then I did not concern myself with the carbs in the mixture, just made a batch of it each week. I had access to the fruit used to make the 'yogfruit' added to yoghurts, tinned fruit was mixed with starch and sugar to make a thickener. I preferred to have the fruit without the carbs, so used to sample the fruit as well as the mixture.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I also use Lancashire Farm yoghurt I like the taste and texture more than the Greek yogurt
and I eat lots of it with full fat cream to try to put some weight on !
Carol

Miss.T. Morning

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
My favourite breakfast:
Yeo organic yogurt, defrosted blackcurrants, extra thick double cream, sprinkle of 100% chocolate & toasted crushed nuts. Fabulous, luxury breakfast!

P1ckle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My favourite breakfast:
Yeo organic yogurt, defrosted blackcurrants, extra thick double cream, sprinkle of 100% chocolate & toasted crushed nuts. Fabulous, luxury breakfast!

That sounds Devine

Ricky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Plain, high fat and preferably Live. I use Onken if I go to Costco or whole milk bio from Lidl

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I also use Lancashire Farm yoghurt I like the taste and texture more than the Greek yogurt
Carol
I have the Lancashire Farm Greek Style yoghourt. Same for you?

veggirl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I also buy Lancashire Farm full fat greek yogurt by the bucket (very useful pots for small amounts of paint or gardening) but why do Morrisons stock it in their Asian cold food section along with Paneer and other such products and not in the general yogurt section? I eat it with berries and seeds for breakfast

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I also buy Lancashire Farm full fat greek yogurt by the bucket (very useful pots for small amounts of paint or gardening) but why do Morrisons stock it in their Asian cold food section along with Paneer and other such products and not in the general yogurt section? I eat it with berries and seeds for breakfast
Hehe. The last two buckets I bought ..... in an Asian store.

I like the taste and texture of Lancashire Farm and it’s reasonably priced.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Generally real greek yogurt is slightly lower carb than 'greek style', eg Waitrose Greek yogurt or Fage Total (5%), but there are a couple of good greek style that I've sampled recently (in case the imported stuff gets harder to find this year).
'Dorset Strained Yoghurt' is good but costs a but more,

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Carol

Lancashire Greek style is nice, but double the carbs of real greek yogurt - more than double Fage Total 5% Greek carbs.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Lancashire Greek style is nice, but double the carbs of real greek yogurt - more than double Fage Total 5% Greek carbs.
I have had Fage when I can’t get Lancashire Farm but it tends to be a bit more expensive and lacks taste a little.

I did wonder if Lancashire Farm was available outside of Lancashire.