Numb area on leg

Hello again,
Not sure if this is Diabetes related or not. I am Type 2 on insulin. I have a numb area on the area just above my knee on the outside if you know what I mean, about the size of my hand, been like it for a few months now, doesn't really bother me just wondered if anyone else has anything similar, could it be diabetes related?
Thanks for taking the time to read this.
:D

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
When I had the nerve flare-up in June/July that led to me being diagnosed with lumbar spinal stenosis, the skin over my right shin went completely numb. It was weird - the result of a trapped nerve which caused pain elsewhere.

I don't know whether numbness like this can happen with diabetes, but it's worth mentioning to your doctor next time you go to him/her for anything.

Viv 8)

Hi

There would be a relation to it if you were injecting as injection sites can go numb from overuse.

I would reccomend you go to see an oesteopath to see if you have a trapped nerve, Numbness and tingling are usually the signs of a trapped nerve. A doctor will not be able to diagnose or treat the problem if it is nerve related but is worth telling your doctor about it on your next visit.

You need to ask yourself, what was my last HBa1C, how long have i been diabetic, do i have a good diet? as to wether it could be a concern for diabetes.

If your HBa1C was out of the markers and you have been diabetic for 20 years and diet is poor then your diabetes could be the problem.

I dont think you will get a definate awnser here but hope what you read will give you some direction.

All the best

stewart.uk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
Not eating fast carbs.
hi, I get pins and needles on lower surface parts of my leg and foot. I feared this was diabetes related. But apparently it would have to be 'numbness' to be caused by diabetes. Turns out the small pain in my back is the cause.

I was diagnosed with swelling around the nurves in my lower back. This condition has greatly improved with exercise and stretching.

Hope this is of some help.

Stew

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
onemanandhiswife said:
Hello again,
Not sure if this is Diabetes related or not. I am Type 2 on insulin. I have a numb area on the area just above my knee on the outside if you know what I mean, about the size of my hand, been like it for a few months now, doesn't really bother me just wondered if anyone else has anything similar, could it be diabetes related?
Thanks for taking the time to read this.
:D
I had that - in my right thigh - 11 years ago. It didn't bother me, but after a few months I went to the Dr. He suspected diabetes - confirmed by blood tests. HabA1c=11, which a month later had dropped to 8 as I gave up sugary things immediately.

That continued for years & served as an "early warning system" for any complications as that thigh was the first to suffer - muscle pains from statins, & then muscle pains from rising BG. Occasionally I had the feeling of the leg giving way, though it never did.

Since adopting a low carb diet 3½ years ago, the numbness has gone away.