Back in the day!!!!!!!!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was never told to eat potatoes of a particular size because we had been given a diet scale. 2ozs of boiled potato was 1 black line, ie. 10 g of carbohydrate. 2 thirds of an ounce of bread was 10g, or 8 ozs of carrot, or 2 ozs of peas. My parents and I could judge amounts accurately by eye after a few months, but I still weighed occasionally to check my estimates were remaining accurate, even as an adult. Anyone else remember Laurence's 'Line Ration Scheme' ? I was suddenly mocked by a doctor at my clinic after some years, for answering in terms of black lines when asked what I was eating. To be honest, I still think of carbs in 10 unit chunks. I find it easier. It doesn't mean I don't take the extra odd grams I need into account !
I had not thought about some of this stuff for years, but basically it did work. If I show my face at a hospital clinic now, because I have grey hair I am routinely treated as if I'm an idiot. I have been told by nurses at the clinic that I'm type 2. I laughed out loud at that. It's either that or cry. In the old-fashioned days, nurses were trained in how to deal with type 1 as a matter of routine. Things started to go wrong in the 1980s. It's back to the 1970s for me !

51 year old guy sits in a room with a nurse. She takes one look round me as if buying a car.

"You don't look T2!"
My reply, "neither did my dad..?"
"Oh, was he T1 then..?!" :banghead:

rochari

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was never told to eat potatoes of a particular size because we had been given a diet scale. 2ozs of boiled potato was 1 black line, ie. 10 g of carbohydrate. 2 thirds of an ounce of bread was 10g, or 8 ozs of carrot, or 2 ozs of peas. My parents and I could judge amounts accurately by eye after a few months, but I still weighed occasionally to check my estimates were remaining accurate, even as an adult. Anyone else remember Laurence's 'Line Ration Scheme' ? I was suddenly mocked by a doctor at my clinic after some years, for answering in terms of black lines when asked what I was eating. To be honest, I still think of carbs in 10 unit chunks. I find it easier. It doesn't mean I don't take the extra odd grams I need into account !
I had not thought about some of this stuff for years, but basically it did work. If I show my face at a hospital clinic now, because I have grey hair I am routinely treated as if I'm an idiot. I have been told by nurses at the clinic that I'm type 2. I laughed out loud at that. It's either that or cry. In the old-fashioned days, nurses were trained in how to deal with type 1 as a matter of routine. Things started to go wrong in the 1980s. It's back to the 1970s for me !

I don't remember Laurence's 'Line Ration Scheme' but wish I'd known about it. Like you though , I always think of carbs in 10 units chunks. I'd forgotten about the little diet scales but I am sure it was a few years before we got them from the clinic. I could have written all of your final paragraph including the type 2 nonsense. I had the same from them and at that time I was about 40 years on insulin and just shook my head. Sometimes I think they over-analyse everything.

I find the diabetic clinic not so welcoming these days but that's no fault of the staff as the volume of folks they have to see is enormous compared to what it was like all those years ago. The last time I was at the clinic a guy was sitting drinking one of those huge cups of McDonald's milk shakes. After a wee while one of the staff went over and asked if he was a patient of the clinic and he said he was. She then asked if he was treating a hypo with the milk shake and he shook his head. Had he compensated for the huge sugar hit? He shook his head again, told her he liked them and would eat and drink whatever he wanted and she was to back off. She kindly explained that for hygiene purposes alone, food and drink should not be consumed in the waiting area and asked he dispose of it in the bin closeby. I couldn't believe it when he told her to f**k off but she turned around to everyone, asked us just to relax and 'this will be properly dealt with'. Less than 2 minutes later security arrived and he was removed. She reminded me of one of those 60's/70's nurses!

Bill

Reactions: Seaquest

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I too remember being ‘ given a hypo ‘ to know what it felt like , aha the old two teaspoons of sugar in milk to cure it that takes me back, I remember my mum going to the doctors to ask why diabetics couldn’t get disposable syringes on prescription and was told they are a “ luxury”,
Totally agree with the carb counting comment too , it was very high on the to do list, and I still count carbs in portions
1 portion = 10g of carbs
I got diagnosed in 1981 I think so transitioned from the glass syringue and the pee tests to a glucometer the size of a brick and those new disposables syringues that got nicked and used for water pistols on a school trip.....Btw my carbs came in 10g portions which were called 'lines' e.g. a walnut whip was then 2 lines (I think there may have been some inflation by now).
I had very smelly porcine insulin for which many pigs had to die so I am glad to be on the genetically modified stuff now though I am an avid bacon eater.
My pump is a fine thing but it does come with a lot of packaging for consumables so I guess you insulin pens guys are more eco friendly....

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

Macstove

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ah the old days! Only been T1 for 36 years, mere youngen compared to some of you!
Pig insulin, peeing on sticks, evil finger picks and 2 disposable syringes to last a month!
Did you ever get the big blue finger picker that had yellow guides to make the aim easier? The sound of that coming down onto your finger still gives me the fear, I was diagnosed in 1984. Loving a wee wander down memory lane

Bellalexi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Did you ever get the big blue finger picker that had yellow guides to make the aim easier? The sound of that coming down onto your finger still gives me the fear, I was diagnosed in 1984. Loving a wee wander down memory lane
Yes! That’s the evil thing! I was diagnosed March 84 when I was 2!

tom58

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Happy and healthy New Year, everyone.
This thread has been a great trip down memory lane for someone diagnosed T1 in 1964. We are all different in our approach to living with diabetes. For example I have never counted calories or ever eaten diabetic foods. I eat exactly what ´normal' people eat but only in reasonable amounts, have excellent control and am very fortunate to have no diabetic complications. A pump and Libre are a godsend as I now approach my 81st birthday.

Last edited:

Macstove

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I remember syringes, pork Insulin, peeing on a stick, sterile wipes, testing BG with a sort of downwards catapult type of machine, that would descend at speed into finger and was quite painful at times ..............eh lad's and lassies, those were the days and I'm approaching my 31st year :wideyed:
Yes! That’s the evil thing! I was diagnosed March 84 when I was 2!
Screenshot_20200102_202455_com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox.jpg
Screenshot_20200102_202455_com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox.jpg

Cltchris

Gee, that's a blast from the past! Haven't seen those clinitest strips for ages. Diagnosed 48 years ago and after many years of denial am back to proper management . My wee sticks in those days were either orange or blue.... never in between, and it was so degrading I wouldn't do it very often. Was very skinny throughout my teens....no wonder, I was ketoacidocic most of the time.

Boiling the syringes too and injecting surgical spirit before the insulin exited the syringe was painful.....and , no, you can't have a new needle yet, you only had a new one two weeks ago. How did we survive?

Thank you technology, Freestyle Libre and my pump, still excitingly new for me...but most of all to the lovely staff in the clinic i attend who rescued me.

BTW, has anybody added up how many times they have injected themselves throughout their life ?????

Peter03

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What fun we had 51 years as a diabetic, don't worry my docter said there will be a cure in ten years or sooner, urine tests long needles, I was given 6 and told they should last 1 or 2 year's, Thank goodness for insulin pumps and cgm,s now all that and I am still enjoying life

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Look at the 20 gauge needle.....only a short one :)
I could cope with them, but the result was always a hard lump where the thing had been!

Reactions: porl69

Jonno21

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I was diagnosed in 1973. I had to have 2 injections per day. Breakfast, lunch and dinner had to be at precisely 7.30am, 12.30pm and 5.30pm. Just a few minutes later and I’d be in a serious hypo. This is why I think the injector pen with variable meal times was such a great invention back in the 80s. This is closely followed by continuous blood glucose monitoring. Anyone agree?

chrisf-1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Happy and healthy New Year, everyone.
This thread has been a great trip down memory lane for someone diagnosed T1 in 1964. We are all different in our approach to living with diabetes. For example I have never counted calories or ever eaten diabetic foods. I eat exactly what ´normal' people eat but only in reasonable amounts, have excellent control and am very fortunate to have no diabetic complications. A pump and Libre are a godsend as I now approach my 81st birthday.

T1 since 72 for years ate and drank everything except sugar did not know about carb portions I used to drink Pils lager until one dietitian told me it was worse for me than ordinary lager so I then changed to Bacardi and diet coke could not stand the taste of the diet coke so often had normal coke and eventually changed to Bacardi and slimline tonic which I quite liked following a couple of pints of normal strength lager I actually went that long not testing I forgot how to do it and also was a heavy drinker now tea total for past 5 years I started in 72 with one injection in the morning cannot remember the name of it then in hospital after a car accident about 18 yrs ago and my insulin changed again to present day Novorapid every time I eat carbs and Levemir morning and night I am now on freestyle libre which is the most wonderful invention and treat my diabetes with a lot more respect how I have not suffered any serious side effects I cannot explain and must just be lucky as on top of this lot I am terrified of needles unless I do it myself I am now 67

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for posting the photo of that appalling Autolet thing, Macstove. I hadn't forgotten it (Who could ?) but couldn't remember the name. The vibration of the thing when it fired left my fingers hurting for ages and left me reluctant to use it. Improved lancet devices are another of the real advances from which we all benefit. How on earth did they get away with supplying us with that ?