email to my friend about Weight Loss

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
These medications aren’t an absolute contradiction for low carb. It may still be appropriate but will need a great deal more care and monitoring to avoid hypos and medication to be reduced/stopped in conjunction with your dr/nurse knowledge and guidance. In fact the reduction in quantity or cessation is pretty much the goal for many alongside more even and stable bgl. Too often people on these medications are forced to eat carbs to match their meds, rather than medicate appropriate to their chosen diet.

The fact that some type 1 on insulin low carb kind of proves it’s possible.

I see that you have cut what I said down - thus making it (more) controversial.
The whole sentence was: " Better to rely on a forum like this one rather than a Health Care Professional who is dead set against a Low Carb approach - unless on Insulin or Glic that is."

I didn't think that I needed to explain that for those on Insulin or Insulin stimulating medication, reducing Carbs drastically against wishes and without cooperation of a HCP is positively dangerous - unless the patient is an expert at modifying their own medication dosage to match their requirements.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I see that you have cut what I said down - thus making it (more) controversial.
The whole sentence was: " Better to rely on a forum like this one rather than a Health Care Professional who is dead set against a Low Carb approach - unless on Insulin or Glic that is."

I didn't think that I needed to explain that for those on Insulin or Insulin stimulating medication, reducing Carbs drastically against wishes and without cooperation of a HCP is positively dangerous - unless the patient is an expert at modifying their own medication dosage to match their requirements.
Not at all the reason I cut it. I agree with the first part of your statement entirely.

The part after the hyphen to me read as if low carb was unsuitable for those on insulin and glic and that’s not the case. (Rather than the reliance on the forum in those circumstances being less suitable as I believe you meant it) In fact a type 2 eating a high carb diet whilst on these meds potentially has the most to gain from safely going low carb.

And I do feel the need to state the caution. What may be obvious to you and me may not to some people on these meds and I’d hate to be responsible for leading them uninformed into hypo territory.

Last edited:

liza_h

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. I found the info on avoiding refined carbs useful and something I'm doing.

I'm very confused about the saturated fats as I believe there's research that has shown a link between these and higher risk of T2 diabetes. As a long time pescatarian I've been reducing my dairy intake. I have soya milk now and am considering reducing cheese to twice a week. I have increased my intake of nuts. Any thought on this please?

Also, I used to intermittant fast daily however my b.g levels go higher the longer I put off breakfast so I'm worried about making the situation worse. Am I causing more stress to my body which is already struggling?

I'm a T2 pre-diabetic with a family trait of becoming diabetic and trying to lower my Hba1c to delay T2 as long as possible.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. I found the info on avoiding refined carbs useful and something I'm doing.

I'm very confused about the saturated fats as I believe there's research that has shown a link between these and higher risk of T2 diabetes. As a long time pescatarian I've been reducing my dairy intake. I have soya milk now and am considering reducing cheese to twice a week. I have increased my intake of nuts. Any thought on this please?

Also, I used to intermittant fast daily however my b.g levels go higher the longer I put off breakfast so I'm worried about making the situation worse. Am I causing more stress to my body which is already struggling?

I'm a T2 pre-diabetic with a family trait of becoming diabetic and trying to lower my Hba1c to delay T2 as long as possible.
I’ve heard saturated fats being blamed for high cholesterol (not my experience I might add) and heart disease but not type 2. In fact I fairly convinced by a lot of the more recent research and studies showing that fat has been falsely maligned for these as well. I try hard to avoid all soy products.
Dawn phenomenon is a likely cause of high morning numbers. Some choose to treat this as beneficial draining of excess glucose from the liver, others head it off with a small no carb breakfast.

liza_h

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve heard saturated fats being blamed for high cholesterol (not my experience I might add) and heart disease but not type 2. In fact I fairly convinced by a lot of the more recent research and studies showing that fat has been falsely maligned for these as well. I try hard to avoid all soy products.
Dawn phenomenon is a likely cause of high morning numbers. Some choose to treat this as beneficial draining of excess glucose from the liver, others head it off with a small no carb breakfast.
Thank you. I had hoped the dawn phenomenon wouldn't last. I've lost 10kg since July but it still lingers until I eat something.
Why do you avoid soy? I came across a lengthy video you posted on another thread (Dr Zoe Harcombe). This has helped. I'm very new to diabetes - just July 2019 and still trying to understand and work out what's best for me.

Reactions: jjraak

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you. I had hoped the dawn phenomenon wouldn't last. I've lost 10kg since July but it still lingers until I eat something.
Why do you avoid soy? I came across a lengthy video you posted on another thread (Dr Zoe Harcombe). This has helped. I'm very new to diabetes - just July 2019 and still trying to understand and work out what's best for me.
Just off to bed but in short the estrogen mimicking effects and risks re breast cancer and thyroid health (I’ve only got about 1/3 of mine). I prefer to eat food as close to nature made it (mixed up together perhaps) rather than “created” foods.

Reactions: liza_h

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh and more than 18months since diagnosis and I still get some DP. Not sure if it ever goes away entirely for some but it got smaller and less of an issue for me. My tactic is a very small non carb breakfast usually, just enough to remind my liver I’m not starving and don’t need it’s help thank you.

Reactions: jjraak and liza_h

Lotties

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Watched this video on Dawn Phenomenon: High Fasting Blood Sugar Levels On Keto & IF last night explaining DP and why it stays higher until you eat and found it really useful. Perhaps I'll stop being so fixated on morning blood levels after this. I've timestamped the video to start at the relevant point but it's worth watching the whole thing.
Thanks for posting this. I had seen lots of Dr Ekberg's videos but not this one. Possibly, it makes more sense now I have a Freestyle Libre (no shares in Abbott and understand tons more about me in just 1 week of it and about 2 months of finger-pricking)
I'm sad because 10g of carbs, leafy green with protein and good fat notwithstanding, are still a body emergency to me.
So glad I found this site.
Positive synergy going on at work, too. Got a referral to great butcher and my honest and techie answers to questions about my eating (I never suggest anyone try any type of diet any more n=1 is so important) talking with the referrer has prompted him to do his own research into what I was up to.
He's found an online video series from lowcarb female doctor advocate and started exploring. Yesterday he reported loving the streaky bacon and understands what I was talking about re high fat. He's lost a bit of weight , too, and is doing more research for his wife who has multiple medical issues with food.
In his case, he needed very little to get him hooked and too much info turns him off. Another colleague who sits beside me would benefit and appreciate a long, informative email as per the start of this thread. But only as breadcrumbs, some people want to lean on you for decisions (me on this site, :D for instance). I see people moving further towards personal recommendations and away from authority; not always a good thing. I think it is also fueled by Internet access and skepticism of online marketing and false online reviews.
I hope the email sent prompted the person''s interest in their health and guidrd them towards useful information to base their own decisions on.

liza_h

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

leobadilla

I have tried a mushroom supplements this fast months and it was really effective you might want this Mushroom Complex 6 Supplements from Vegan Vitality.