Running out of ideas

lessci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Something from left field - could you have an infection you don't know about? My levels were running at 10-12 for a couple of months before Christmas, and I just couldn't work out why, no change in diet or meds. I went to the dentist for my six monthly check up and he found an infection in one of my wisdom teeth, which I had absolutely no symptoms for, quick course of antibiotics, no infection and BG's back to normal (for me)

domforr

Something from left field - could you have an infection you don't know about? My levels were running at 10-12 for a couple of months before Christmas, and I just couldn't work out why, no change in diet or meds. I went to the dentist for my six monthly check up and he found an infection in one of my wisdom teeth, which I had absolutely no symptoms for, quick course of antibiotics, no infection and BG's back to normal (for me)

I have had some urinary problems - sort of cystitis but the doctor said there was no infection. I'm not sure if it's a side effect of high blood sugar, but it's been going on for about 2 months now (intermittently)

Ricky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes a low grade infection could be the cause. This can happen from root canals . I am going to get my throat checked by my GP because although it doesn't hurt me I have a white spot on one tonsil since August and in front of the tonsils both sides I can see a greyish film . My fasting numbers have been too high lately despite my low carb/low GI + exercise regime but it maybe the end of the road for me with no meds as I have coped for 17 years now.
Someone mentioned going without breakfast but with me the longer i leave it in the morning the higher my numbers go up so I eat as usual and won't have lunch until very hungry and BS is <6 !!

Norfolkmell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tattoos, carers calling me lovey or duckie when I've only just met them
Hi Domforr
I agree with all of the above. Since diagnosis three and a half years, I've kept a record of BG fasting and two hours after and what I've eaten, I've found it invaluable as I can highlight what food does to my BG. I aim for between 60-90 g carb a day which includes one slice of bread and loads of butter plus a scape of sugar free home made marmalade (basically an orange and leaf gelatine) and I keep bread in the freezer so it's hard to get at, toast from frozen but as you have to wait for it to defrost I don't turn it into a sandwich.
Keeping a record is very handy when you see your GP or medical people. The other thing to watch is does your meter need new batteries and can you check that it's accurate? At my annual review I always take it and check it with the surgery one, just one prick, two testing strips one for each machine gives you a good idea if yours is working or not.
Stress and infection are two huge challenges to BG mine always rises 2 -6 more when my rheumatoid arthritis flares up or when I've a cold or virus, but I can put this on the record so I'm not completely freaked out.
Hope some of what's been said helps, let us know how you get on.

liza_h

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A typical breakfast would be greek yoghurt with a few blueberries and some flaxseed, a piece of low carb bread and peanut butter and a cup of tea. Otherwise a fried egg and tomato on a piece of low carb bread. Lunch is usually a salad, or maybe soup , but pretty light. Dinner would be some meat and maybe broccoli and green beans or salad. I'll snack on nuts and cheese in the day.
Just a small note though you're probably already aware, in which case apologies but unless you cook everything yourself always check the labels. There's often lots of sugar added to ready made food, and sugar may be called different names - sucrose, fructose, syrup etc. Pre-made soups, bread, peanut butter, sauces, gravy, "natural" yogurts etc often have added sugar in the small print.

Lowcarb 2

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi there,

I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes 5 years ago when I turned 40 and am really struggling to keep things under control. I'm not overweight and I'm currently on 500mg TR metformin twice a day. Recently my levels have been really high when I test in the morning before eating. it was 14 today and is constantly between 10-14 in the morning.

I eat pretty well, cutting out carbs and sugar and I also exercise consistently, so I'm at a bit of a loss really. The doctors seem uninterested and the only suggestion has been increasing meds, which I'm reluctant to do as it makes me feel quite ill.

This has been a period of high stress, which probably isn't helping matters but I feel that somehow I need to change something to get back on an even keel.

Any suggestion gratefully received.

Best,

Dominic
I was diagnosed type 2 three years ago my first year my levels were uncontrollable not that I was doing anything wrong my medication was changed several times in that year the second year things were going fine for the first six months and then my levels went high and after 10wks of back and forth from the doctors and a two stone weight loss i was sent to hospital with keotosis there they decided i should start taking insulin and it is the best thing I did i had the c peptic test and have now been relabeled as lada type 1.5 and have told that the c peptic test revealed that my pancreas still produced insulin but my antibodies are killing it off and as I get older my pancreas will become tired of trying to replace what the antibodies kill off and end up type 1

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You eat no fruit or veg at all? Not sure I could do that.
Very little ....maybe 50g of raspberries once or twice a week and some dark 90% choc sometimes.

Edit to add.. sometimes we can do amazing things when our health is at stake.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I haven’t, but I think I should just to get an idea of my real intake. I’m pretty lazy with this stuff, but I think I’ll have to be a bit more methodical
You could just do it for a week and test your bloods at 1 hour and 2 horus post meal.
Exercise after meals is best to empty your muscles of glucose and do some exercises that will build muscle so that you keep as insulin sensitive as possible.
I am rubbish at being disciplined too (type 1 so it would be even more beneficial to me to nail my bgs down!) so I try to make any new exercise and food habits as effortless as possible. I do now find low carb easy and exercise is my job which helps.
Stress is a definite factor in spiking your bgs due to cortisol.
Sorry that your doctors have a motivated patient but are not able or willing to offer further suggestions.