Men's socks for diabetics

johnincrete

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have just been told that I need to wear socks suitable for diabetics. Looking at Amazon, there is a bewildering array to choose from. I would prefer to shop locally here in Crete, Greece but such things are too rare here.
Does any man actually wear special socks and could recommend them?

Thanks in advance

Thread title edited by Mod

Last edited by a moderator:

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I bought "diabetic" socks, purely as I was in an alpaca clothes shop. I got them to use as bed socks. They are lovely, very loosely woven and not tight. I got some "diabetic" socks from Amazon, they were "OK", but all you need to do is get some that are comfortable around the toes and not tight around the ankles or calves. I suspect anything with a diabetic label will come with a premium price tag.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you have any specific foot problems that require specific features in the socks?

‘Diabetic Socks’ are nothing more than socks with smooth seams, relaxed elastic at the ankles (so they don’t cut in), breathable, etc. etc.
https://www.healthline.com/health/find-right-diabetic-socks#precautions

There is no reason to pay a premium for the ‘diabetic’ label, if you can find great socks, with the same features, for a good price, elsewhere.

hope that helps :)

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have just been told that I need to wear socks suitable for diabetics. Looking at Amazon, there is a bewildering array to choose from. I would prefer to shop locally here in Crete, Greece but such things are too rare here.
Does any man actually wear special socks and could recommend them?

Thanks in advance

Thread title edited by Mod
What’s the specific reason John, if you don’t mind me asking?

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
If my socks are too tight round the ankle or lower leg I just cut through the elasticated bit just snipping them with a pair of scissors.

Reactions: EllieM

Gannet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Showbiz
I buy socks from TK MAXX, plenty of choice of loose tops - Pringle, Elle, etc, and reasonable prices. They do Pringle for men. The problem with many of the loose top brands is that there is still a toe seam that can rub, whereas Pringle and Elle have a smooth toe seam.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I have a brand called Medipeds, they are just the perfect thickness and I wear them in the winter only. They do a good job of keeping my feet warm which is why I have them. Standard foot wear here in the Australia in the summer are thongs, which I wear. Don't like having sweaty feet personally, so no shoes at all in the summer.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
( Of course they would need to be low carb socks )

I was asking earlier in the thread as I had read that extra support from diabetic type hosiery might be a requirement?