Low Carb prescription food supplement drinks for T1 with low protein

lollyann1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have Malabsorption Syndrome and have also lost even more weight because of an Obstruction of the Small Bowel. GP Prescribed the cheapest food supplement drinks and I have to drink 2 a day. It tastes of salt and the Carbs in it are very high indeed. I woke in the night to find I was 22.1!! My own GP is doing some research into a low Carb high protein drink to take between meals but this may take a while. The drinks I was prescribed are supposed to be for people with Diabetes!

Does anyone know where I can research the subject online; I cannot find out much about it. Or, if anyone knows of a suitable drink for T1 Diabetics with Malabsorption Syndrome with a low protein count I would be very interested to hear.

Honeyend

While I was in hospital I found all the ones they gave me were far too sugary. Most of them are made of whey protien which to me tastes foul. Tried the soups,Meritene from Boots, they are about £5 a box for 4 , to me disgusting.
In the end I found some Nine seed bars, just under 10g carb, about 200cals and they have a fair amount of protein in them, its wether you can tolerate nuts and seeds. If you buy them from Amazon in a box for about 50p a bar, so I ate about four a day. Got my husband to by me wafer thin ham and snacked on that, because I am supposed to be lowish fat. I found meat snacking was the easiest way to increase my protien intake. I didn't eat properly for nearly three months so I literally did it a mouthful at a time

millenium

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Urban noise, environmental destruction
Low carb, low protein, the only macro nutrients that can be added in will be fat and fibre with non calorie sweetener.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't have your issues but have found CarbKilla bars to be usefully low carb high protein.
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/recipes/drinks
This is the smoothie and drinks section for low carb/keto to which you could add protein powder (whey isolates are best). These may well have extra vitamins and minerals in from natural ingredients but perhaps you could get some advice from a dietician given your problems absorbing at the moment.
Having said the above, if you need to gain weight you will need to eat more carbs as taking the extra insulin required will help you lay down fat/muscle; if you simply spike your blood sugars by eating sugary foods/drinks you will pee a lot out before your body can use it! So it is the opposite advice to that usually given on this site: snack and eat high quality carbs with protein and vitamin supplements.

Honeyend

a54sy8v64k311.jpg

These were my Christmas treat, instead of a mince pie, 5.9g carb and only about £1.90 for four

Reactions: Flora123

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
a54sy8v64k311.jpg

These were my Christmas treat, instead of a mince pie, 5.9g carb and only about £1.90 for four

These are fantastic. My kids love them. You can almost imagine you are having a snickers!