Where to do set change at work?

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
I've had a pump for over 4 years and have just moved offices. Previously if I needed to do a change because of a bad set or it getting ripped out there was a changing room with a nice bench within 100m thst I would discretely nip into and do the necessary.

We've just moved to a new office and there are no changing rooms nearer than a good 5 min walk away, no medical room or the like nearby and the meeting rooms don't lock and can be seen into. I use my bottom and lower back as my preferred site so need to undress a bit to get it done and need somewhere a bit private. While I'm not that fussy about hygiene (I inject through tights!) the toilets are not clean enough or have a clean surface for me to do the necessary.

What do you have at work? I want to propose reasonable adjustments so it can be a constructive conversation.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I am a receptionist in a very busy garage. If I need to do a set change in work I do it at my desk, in full view. I understand that being female you dont really want to be partially undressing in front of anyone. You are in a difficult position there! Is your stomach not an option?

Reactions: Chas C

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've had a pump for over 4 years and have just moved offices. Previously if I needed to do a change because of a bad set or it getting ripped out there was a changing room with a nice bench within 100m thst I would discretely nip into and do the necessary.

We've just moved to a new office and there are no changing rooms nearer than a good 5 min walk away, no medical room or the like nearby and the meeting rooms don't lock and can be seen into. I use my bottom and lower back as my preferred site so need to undress a bit to get it done and need somewhere a bit private. While I'm not that fussy about hygiene (I inject through tights!) the toilets are not clean enough or have a clean surface for me to do the necessary.

What do you have at work? I want to propose reasonable adjustments so it can be a constructive conversation.

Tigger, could a meeting room be fitted with a lock and maybe blinds?

Our meeting rooms weren't lockable, but all had blinds, should a private meeting be required. Flicking something like a Venetian blind closed takes a moment and isn't forever. It the room just have windows in the doors, that's probably even easier

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Tigger, could a meeting room be fitted with a lock and maybe blinds?

Our meeting rooms weren't lockable, but all had blinds, should a private meeting be required. Flicking something like a Venetian blind closed takes a moment and isn't forever. It the room just have windows in the doors, that's probably even easier
Thanks a lot. That's a great idea.

Reactions: porl69

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I am a receptionist in a very busy garage. If I need to do a set change in work I do it at my desk, in full view. I understand that being female you dont really want to be partially undressing in front of anyone. You are in a difficult position there! Is your stomach not an option?
Thanks but aside from the fact I prefer absorption on bottom if I'm wearing a dress it would not be a good look!!!!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks a lot. That's a great idea.

Pondering this, as I was making dinner (as y'do), you might want to think about the questions they might ask around the locked room - should they fear for your safety, so they may not want a bolt or the like. Maybe a simple mechanism like they have on shop changing rooms, where the door can be unlocked from the outside, with a simple key or screwdriver.

You know what I mean?

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Update- i took it up through occupational health who were very sympathetic and have agrees to give a room a locking function so I'm happy with that.

Reactions: Chas C

Sadjers

Hi, if you have a Union ask a Representative to challenge your company to provide you with appropriate facilities. You can do this on the basis that diabetes is a medical condition that is considered a disability within the Equalities Act 2010, and they must provide 'reasonable adjustments' for you to manage your medical condition. Be cautious that they may consider it reasonable for you to walk 5 minutes, but then they must also give you that time (ie not your break time).
Chris