What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

@Tipetoo -- Glad you are safely back home, but Rocky Mountain oysters -- yuck!
@shelley262 -- Cooper is so cute, almost looks like a teddy bear.
@annabell1 -- It's really interesting how traditions develop, for how many years has this been on in Australia?
@DJC3 -- Agree, calf liver is by far the nicest, but unfortunately a bit pricey in Germany. Chicken livers are a lot more reasonable here and not too bad.

Today ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol.

Lunch: Scrambled eggs with mushrooms and different leftovers (guacamole, cauli rice with onion and chick peas, half a plain yoghurt, zuccchini and bell pepper in tomato cream sauce) -- almost the entire carb allowance for the day.

Dinner: Some homemade soup (using up vegetables and steak, ground up and made into meat balls, which were about to go bad). Half a DD keto roll with butter and bresaola. Chia seeds with cream, erythritol, vanilla and cinnamon. No wine.

Quinn1066

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Might me a long post. I purposely kicked myself out of ketosis this morning, and feel much better. I have been doing strict keto for two months now and while I was losing weight, I felt terrible. I initially managed my type 2 diabetes through low carb not keto eating, so total net carbs were about 50g a day, total carbs being 70g and calorie counting, which I still do. All carbs from low GI foods, carbs always buffered with a bit of fat. When I wasn't doing keto, my A1c test read lower then when I was, by two points, but that could just be reading bias as well as endo said small jumps happen.

I have given up artificial sweeteners, protein bars, and soy products in the past 6 months and my gut feels better. I have monitored myself this morning, haven't need to urinate badly and feel fine. Today's eating will look like this, tad higher in carbs, but all low GI just not low enough to achieve ketosis.

Also dealing with a bad case of oral thrush, which flared the same time I went keto, which shouldn't happen, but it seems every time I go keto oral thrush comes back which is weird.

Breakfast: Two black coffee's, one pepermint tea. 40g traditional rolled oats, 35g whey protein concentrate powder, 170g full fat greek yoghurt. I have eaten this breakfast before, for 6 months, during which time I got the A1C reading of 26 so it seems to work
Lunch (planned): sardines 74g in spring water, 100g raw tomato, 133g raw celery.
Dinner (planned): 4 XL eggs, 63g shortcut bacon, 200g mushrooms, 100g capsicum, 50g onion.

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

@Tipetoo -- Glad you are safely back home, but Rocky Mountain oysters -- yuck!
@shelley262 -- Cooper is so cute, almost looks like a teddy bear.
@annabell1 -- It's really interesting how traditions develop, for how many years has this been on in Australia?
@DJC3 -- Agree, calf liver is by far the nicest, but unfortunately a bit pricey in Germany. Chicken livers are a lot more reasonable here and not too bad.

Today ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol.

Lunch: Scrambled eggs with mushrooms and different leftovers (guacamole, cauli rice with onion and chick peas, half a plain yoghurt, zuccchini and bell pepper in tomato cream sauce) -- almost the entire carb allowance for the day.

Dinner: Some homemade soup (using up vegetables and steak, ground up and made into meat balls, which were about to go bad). Half a DD keto roll with butter and bresaola. Chia seeds with cream, erythritol, vanilla and cinnamon. No wine.

Chicken livers are a lot more economical here too, I tend to think of using them only for making pate, but no reason not to use them for a meal in themselves.
I’ve just got round to looking up Dinner for One on YouTube. I’d never heard of it before - such a quirky thing to have become a tradition in Germany, but I love the fact it has.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
02-01-2020
Breakfast CWC
and another mid morning
Lunch Sardines in tomato sauce on pain kapnor, two slices. Tea.
Dinner.
After spending time in the kitchen had a choice. We ate half the chicken and leek casserole ( must use more leeks next time, they almost disappeared. )with cauli and brocolli and froze the rest. Still have two more pork dishes to divvy up and freeze tomorrow.
We finished most of the insulation. MrSlim is now working on the windows.
By the way, after losing nearly 4 stone- MrSlim is beginning to live up to his name:rolleyes:

Edited to add.
Oops, maybe because its weighing day tomorrow, decided to have yoghurt and raspberries, with a splash of cream. Two glasses of wine, one pink , one white. And bedtime tea by 10 10pm. Getting nearer the target .

Last edited:

Quinn1066

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
02-01-2020
Breakfast CWC
and another mid morning
Lunch Sardines in tomato sauce on pain kapnor, two slices. Tea.
Dinner.
After spending time in the kitchen had a choice. We ate half the chicken and leek casserole ( must use more leeks next time, they almost disappeared. )with cauli and brocolli and froze the rest. Still have two more pork dishes to divvy up and freeze tomorrow.
We finished most of the insulation. MrSlim is now working on the windows.
By the way, after losing nearly 4 stone- MrSlim is beginning to live up to his name:rolleyes:

Do you have the recipe for the chicken and leek casserole? always looking for a good meal to freeze.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Do you have the recipe for the chicken and leek casserole? always looking for a good meal to freeze.
Not really a recipe, no measurments. But make sure it looks like too many veg. This is what i did. Fried the chicken thighs for a few mins, stuck them in casserole dish in the oven while I fried up the leeks with celariac and a few carrots. Added stock and herbs to pan. When it came to the boil tipped it all into the casserole dish and cooked for about 45 mins. Gas 6. Just remembered. I did chuck in some pieces of raw potato for MrSlim at this point. They cooked fine.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for that @maglil55. I do get things from Lakeland but didn't notice that. I usually use an old knickerbocker glory glass - tall, conical but fairly narrow - one of the many bits of junk I have kept from my mother's cupboards. I mean - who makes knickerbocker glories these days? Anyway, I could do with something a bit wider. Do you know what diameter the Lakeland one is?

Edited to remove another typo - my fingers no longer follow instructions from my brain!
Diameter is 5 inches and it expands upwards to a maximum of 10 inches.

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
Last edited:
Reactions: Chook

bkr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Reactions: ziggy_w

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Strong coffee, small bit of milk, pint of warm water (morning standard seems to set me up well)

I sometimes have a bacon & egg with some salt/pepper on it, but I tried this today - https://groceries.asda.com/product/...VxLTtCh3NQAMQEAQYASABEgKso_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds - has anyone else tried it or thoughts? (Hovis lower carb bread, I miss bread & dont have it anymore but wanted to try this as it seemed ok)

Lower carb, which would be fine if you can cope with some carbs. For me - no chance. 9+% per slice would just be too much for me. I miss bread, but it just isn't worth it - BG goes crazy.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
And my post should have said pig kidney not liver! It was a real faff to prepare too. I’ve already more than fulfilled my 2 lots of organ meat this week - and the best news is that tail counts! I might give calves liver a go.

Black pudding ought to count as well. That's good fried with some bacon and egg, or with strong flavoured fish like smoked mackerel (apparently goes well with scallops as well. I wouldn't know - I dislike all shellfish so never use it.) However, some black pudding has quite a lot of oatmeal in it, so it's worth checking on the carb content, if you can.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Strong coffee, small bit of milk, pint of warm water (morning standard seems to set me up well)

I sometimes have a bacon & egg with some salt/pepper on it, but I tried this today - https://groceries.asda.com/product/...VxLTtCh3NQAMQEAQYASABEgKso_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds - has anyone else tried it or thoughts? (Hovis lower carb bread, I miss bread & dont have it anymore but wanted to try this as it seemed ok)
I am on my second loaf of this bread, one slice per serving. Makes great toast. Need to put half in the freezer.

Reactions: ziggy_w and DJC3

bkr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lower carb, which would be fine if you can cope with some carbs. For me - no chance. 9+% per slice would just be too much for me. I miss bread, but it just isn't worth it - BG goes crazy.

Very true, it did send my BG up quite a bit, which is mega frustrating. I sometimes have wraps which arent too bad although I know it all stems from the same area, and affect BG. Good points on black pudding as I love that, with an egg & bacon, probably the most realistic foods I should be having earlier in the day to avoid rises.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I first started I couldn't be in the same room as bread. Several months after I had got into keto, numbers normalised, I found I could eat slightly more carbs with no reaction. Breakfast can now be scrambled eggs on toast or black pudding and eggs, but no toast. A slice of low carb bread is half my allowance.

bkr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Black pudding and eggs is something I may get more involved with this year, aside of potential oats it ticks a lot of boxes, doesn't massively affect BG and has oodles of tastes. The bread, low carb or other is definitely going to be a once in a while treat for me tho now