Feet to the floor effect in the middle of the night?

AlanaPerrin

Hello!
It might sound like an odd title, but let me explain...
I’ve been suffering with feet to the floor when I get up in the morning. I’m usually woken by one of my young sons, so am not waking naturally.
Last night, one of them woke crying at midnight, waking me up and I jumped out of bed to see what was wrong. On my Libre (I scanned as I got back into bed), my glucose level shot up from 4.something to over 9.
I felt hot and shaky, as if I was having a hypo, but it was high! Has anyone else experienced a feet to the floor type rise in the middle of the night?
Thank you!

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Baby crying in the night alarming waking and having to act to possibly protect offspring stressful flight or fight reflex will kick in in, blood sugars will go up this is all a possible explanation.

We are programmed to react in certain ways to certain stimuli.

AlanaPerrin

Baby crying in the night alarming waking and having to act to possibly protect offspring stressful flight or fight reflex will kick in in, blood sugars will go up this is all a possible explanation.

We are programmed to react in certain ways to certain stimuli.

Thank you. I was wondering if that’s what happened. It felt a bit like when you have to get up in the middle of the night for a flight and feel all jittery! Not much I can do to stop it I guess.

Reactions: JohnEGreen

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you. I was wondering if that’s what happened. It felt a bit like when you have to get up in the middle of the night for a flight and feel all jittery! Not much I can do to stop it I guess.
I get it when I hear the dustbin collection happening, and I realize in a split second that I had not put the bins out. Also get it when Amazon delivery man rings the bell at 8 in the morning.

Yes the adrenalin kicks in and triggers a liver dump - nothing we can do about that it is a basic function of our body.

AlanaPerrin

I get it when I hear the dustbin collection happening, and I realize in a split second that I had not put the bins out. Also get it when Amazon delivery man rings the bell at 8 in the morning.

Yes the adrenalin kicks in and triggers a liver dump - nothing we can do about that it is a basic function of our body.

ahh, good old adrenaline

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yup.
And cat/fox fights just outside our front gate.
And one of our dogs howling in their sleep 18 inches from my ear.
And waking to rain driving onto the window and knowing that dear Mr B needs the car today, while I need to get to work somehow avoiding the Drowned Rat Look for the presentation I am giving at 9am...

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
ahh, good old adrenaline
Those of us who are old will remember adrenaline, but the hormone that actually raises the glucose levels in response to stress is Cortisol. This is also released during chronic stress conditions whereas adrenaline is only for acute emergencies (and mainly acts by releasing glucagon from the local muscle cells where it is stored. Long term it is the liver that provides the liver dump via cortisol)