Blame the insulin?

bivry29

I have started using a new Lantus pen that has been kept in my drawer for a couple of months (out of the fridge. It hasn't been exposed to extreme temperatures but I get the feeling it has gone off somehow anyway. My sugars are higher than I'd expect and I haven't really done anything different. What are your sure fire ways of determining if a vial of insulin has become defective before you have to dispose of it?

SeanAshy

My Lantus is stored in the fridge when I first receive it from the pharmacy, then when I put the needle on it and begin using it, it is just left on the side in the kitchen so I dont forget to take it! It lasts 4-5 days before it is empty and thrown away, ive never noticed any difference between using it straight from the fridge or using it after sitting on a table for a few days, but Im not sure about being in a drawer for months?

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi, if insulin looks or appears cloudy and milky in appearance, bin it, especially as its been kept in a drawer for some time.
Stay safe and use a new pen from out of the fridge.
Best play safe with meds at all times, a 'guess at it' for me is far too risky.
Hope this helps? Anna.x :D

stabatha

Lantus as with all insulins must be stored in the fridge until you are ready to use it, once in use it must be discarded after 4 weeks, 2 months out the fridge is way too long , although I doubt it will do you much harm will will almost certainly have lost its potencey which is why you are probably getting higher blood sugars. Bin it and use a new one that has been stored corectly.