Is it me!

hodders

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been battling my gp for about 3 weeks now
In short I use aviva test strips in my Accu-chek insulin pump which helps calibration of my insulin. I have strips to last me until the end of the week and cannot be prescribed anymore until after January 21st when I have to see the practice nurse to discuss my over use of test strips. I have involved my dsn who has tried to intervene asking my gp to contact her or the practice nurse and they have ignored her requests.
Question has anything similar happened to anyone else and what did you do?
Is there a quota for test strips for type 1s?
I use probably 5 or 6 daily and according to my GPS receptionist this is clearly too many and I should use 2 or 3.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i was only prescribed 50 at a time when I was first diagnosed, I spoke to my DSN who got in touch with the GP, maybe it would be better to ask your DSN to contact your surgery rather than them getting in contact with her xx

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Kim
Great advice

Erm, your GP's receptionist is telling you that 2/3 is enough??? My blood is already starting to boil. I would be down that surgery pronto, telling them that they are putting me in danger by not giving me sufficient strips in the first place and telling me I can wait until 21st? Seriously?? You NEED your strips to tell you how much insulin to administer before each meal, or do they want you to guess and possibly become seriously ill or in the worse case scenario, die? I know this may sound dramatic to some but it is true! You also need them before you are allowed to drive (that may be 2 or 3 times a day or more for me), you may need them before exercise (most days for me), you may need them when you feel low (at least once a day for me) so that adds up to around 8 on a quiet day. Your receptionist (and what business is it of hers) is confusing you with who knows who, your GP sounds completely reckless. Please do not sit there waiting, be proactive, get down there and get your prescription. Say to anyone who refuses 'So I can't use my insulin then because I won't know how much to use for 2 weeks'!

Edited to add; Just noticed you have a pump so please forgive me if usage of strips is different but my post stands for anyone concerned about not being given enough strips. x

KesLouise

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
2 or 3 times a day doesn’t seem realistic does it if you’re treating before meals, 2 hours after and before bed as a minimum, I was only getting 50 at a time but now I usually get minimum of 100 each time I put a prescription request in depends who issues the prescription sometimes I get 3 boxes it’s a bit hit and miss. Not sure it’s down to the GPs receptionist to make any comment at all about what’s going on.....

Reactions: hodders

hodders

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks so much KK
I know it is absolutely ludicrous but I needed someone else to affim this. It has been tricky with Xmas etc but I am on it as of tomorrow.

Reactions: KesLouise

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks so much KK
I know it is absolutely ludicrous but I needed someone else to affim this. It has been tricky with Xmas etc but I am on it as of tomorrow.
If they are concerned about costs then they should consider cost of a hospital admittance for poorly controlled type 1 which will hit their practice budget. You are on solid ground here but I'd assume incompetency rather than some idiotic policy limitation and if you did test more than 6 times a day then you'd meet criteria for FSL which is the next step and cost neutral versus strips..

Reactions: KesLouise

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks so much KK
Please feel affirmed.

My friend has two sons and a husband with type 1. She had the same issue just before Christmas. Once she pointed out the danger of the GP's actions, and the consequences of the actions, things got sorted quickly.

I will gloss over the receptionist who suggested the three of them could share (?!!) test strips...........

hodders

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you everybody for your advice and help. I am so glad you are out there.

hodders

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I am very lucky to have a pump now. I am also lucky enough to have a FSL both of which I battled for and I am very grateful. But before being issued with a pump I relied more on the libre and hardly finger pricked at all. Unfortunately the pump does all its cculations based on a blood glucose test which for me anyways is always trickier over Christmas, so maybe I have tested more....

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Do you drive?

If so you are required to have done a test within the last 2 hours whilst driving so even just taking kids to schools and back and a trip to the shops middle of the day would require 3 strips

Then 1st thing in the morning and last thing at night

Pre and post meals so you could easily use 8 to 10 strips a day

I get giving 150 strips at a time and can order more than 1 time a month

Last edited:

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Do you drive?

If so you are required to have done a test within the last 2 hours whilst driving so even just taking kids to schools and back and a trip to the shops middle of the day would require 3 strips
DVLA have accepted Libre results for cars and motorcycles for almost a year now, so unless the OP drives a lorry or bus, they don’t need to blood tests for driving any longer. 2-3 a day is still not anywhere near enough though.

Reactions: hodders

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been battling my gp for about 3 weeks now
In short I use aviva test strips in my Accu-chek insulin pump which helps calibration of my insulin. I have strips to last me until the end of the week and cannot be prescribed anymore until after January 21st when I have to see the practice nurse to discuss my over use of test strips. I have involved my dsn who has tried to intervene asking my gp to contact her or the practice nurse and they have ignored her requests.
Question has anything similar happened to anyone else and what did you do?
Is there a quota for test strips for type 1s?
I use probably 5 or 6 daily and according to my GPS receptionist this is clearly too many and I should use 2 or 3.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi,

No it isn't you...

I've never had issue or been challenged regarding the frequency & amount I request...

Great advice given above.

I get 200 prescribed & I'm back at my local chemist every 2.5 to3 weeks..;)

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
DVLA have accepted Libre results for cars and motorcycles for almost a year now, so unless the OP drives a lorry or bus, they don’t need to blood tests for driving any longer. 2-3 a day is still not anywhere near enough though.

I've a Libre on which has been reading nearly 1.5-2.0mmol lower than I am. I'm happy enough with it being calibrated through xDrip but decided it was useless for the 750 miles driving I've done this weekend. Should I have scrapped it for another and complained to Abbot instead of using the strips?

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I've a Libre on which has been reading nearly 1.5-2.0mmol lower than I am. I'm happy enough with it being calibrated through xDrip but decided it was useless for the 750 miles driving I've done this weekend. Should I have scrapped it for another and complained to Abbot instead of using the strips?
I would have.

hodders

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi folks
Just to let you know. I have today spoken at length to the practice manager at our surgery and after much discussion and a few tears things have for at least been resolved. Yippee. I am now the owner of 4 boxes of aviva test strips.
I did have to do much explaining as to the difference between a type 1 and type 2. But hey ho such is life.
May I again take this opportunity to thank each and everyone of you.
Claire

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi folks
Just to let you know. I have today spoken at length to the practice manager at our surgery and after much discussion and a few tears things have for at least been resolved. Yippee. I am now the owner of 4 boxes of aviva test strips.
I did have to do much explaining as to the difference between a type 1 and type 2. But hey ho such is life.
May I again take this opportunity to thank each and everyone of you.
Claire
Good news Claire and I hope you do not have to fight that battle again but whilst the person remembers the conversation perhaps those strips could be added to your regular meds list alongside the insulin and other indicators that you are type 1!