The journey so far...

Jam&Scones

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

I guess I never got to properly introduce myself, but thought, after my last HbA1C, this would be a good opportunity to share my story for others.

I was diagnosed with Diabetes back in August 2019 and have since then followed a LCHF diet (almost hitting keto ranges at times, but not aiming for that per se, more like max 60g a day of carbs) since reading about it on this forum. My initial reading on diagnosis was 10.6% and now, as of December, I am 5.8% :D I am now trying to add intermittent fasting to my regime and I really think I am finding it beneficial.

Its been an interesting few months and I've noticed some extraordinary things; my taste changed and sugary things I used to eat tasted horrible (I now like dark chocolate, I hated it before, although I still love a good roast potato :D ), I had more energy (before I had extreme fatigue), my weight reduced (I am now 2 dress sizes lower!), I had incontinence which vanished (haha, TMI I know, but I feel this is something which is not discussed but is true for some people, so I included it), my BP reduced (although I have had times when I get that slight dizziness when standing up, but I think that is my body not being used to the lower pressure).

This in the space of just a few months. In my mind this proves that this is the state my body wants to be in and I should continue to keep it that way. I wouldn't say its all been smooth sailing, but it has been worth it.

My doctor asked me how long I think I have been diabetic and I replied at least 5 years based on how I feel today (if not longer... I suspect I have always been intolerant to carbs).

I am considered MODY, so do get a lot of attention from the NHS because they are just not sure of my type (I did lose weight, but I was only overweight when I got diagnosed and otherwise healthy, so alot of people scratch their head). I tested negative for GAD, but who knows? For the moment I am type 2 until proven otherwise...

I do still have some wild liver readings and I would be grateful to hear others experiences with this as I was checked via ultrasound for fatty liver--nope, have gallstones though, but they don't seem to have caused much issue except for one brief attack at the beginning of my diet? I am also not sure, but my scan was about 1.5 months after starting my diet, so Im not sure if I might have had fatty liver, but I cleared it up?

Curiously, my overall cholesterol has not changed and the ratio between LDL and HDL is not ideal, but TriG has reduced.

Thanks to users on this forum I have been introduced to some interesting literature on the subject of metabolic syndrome and its association with a lot of diseases which seem to run in my family (heart disease, dementia...).

So I wanted to say thanks to all forum members for your support and discussion - it has really helped me to navigate what was a devastating surprise. To everyone just finding out their diagnosis - there is hope, you can reverse it and maybe even discover you are living a better life in spite of it.

Reactions: urbanracer

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

I agree that this site is awesome and the number of people it has helped can't be counted. For me the fact that there was hope when the medical profession offer no hope is the most amazing thing.

Reactions: Jam&Scones

Route 66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Great post which will help others. You sound as though you really have your head around things

I can only second @VashtiB post which sums it up well.

Good luck as you go forward.

Last edited:

Jam&Scones

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Diet only
Great post which will help others. You sound as though you really have your head around things

I can only second @VashtiB post which sums it up well.

Good luck as you go forward.
Thanks Vashti and Route 66 - I think the more I learn though, the more I feel I need to learn and the more things I discover about other issues which are caused by metabolic syndrome. Sugar is truly scary. I was watching a commentary on the Jamie Oliver healthier food in schools campaign and all the parents that sabotaged his good work by giving children sweets, pizza, etc. Seriously, our society is messed up! :D

Edited by moderator.

Last edited by a moderator:

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Jam&Scones,

Congrats on your awesome results, a really wonderful story. Thanks for posting.

Agree with @VashtiB -- stories like yours will inspire hope in newly diagnosed T2s.

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
@Jam&Scones Oh your name is making me think of fond memories of Cornwall, how dare you do this to me ;)

Fantastic work, I am echoing everyone else here really in adding to the no doubt growing congratulations! Thank you for posting and I noticed it took a little while for my liver to get itself back in order but it can happen so all the best to you for the future.

Reactions: Jam&Scones

Jam&Scones

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Diet only
@Jam&Scones Oh your name is making me think of fond memories of Cornwall, how dare you do this to me ;)

Fantastic work, I am echoing everyone else here really in adding to the no doubt growing congratulations! Thank you for posting and I noticed it took a little while for my liver to get itself back in order but it can happen so all the best to you for the future.

One day I will learn a good keto scone recipe and then the fun can begin! ;)

Thank you. Did you have really high enzyme levels? I have noticed these seem to go up and down - sometimes I have everything elevated, then one test nothing was except gamma GT. That one is always super high. I think fasting might impact it as the test with the low levels I was fasting that morning (I also had my c peptide checked at the same time and it was the low end of normal, Im convinced that is the fasting as well, but no one seems to know!)