Red red wine

Paulm80

Didn’t drink a great deal of red wine, prefer whiskey ...... however....
Few months ago went out and had 3 glasses of red got home got a reading of 4.1 - can’t remember what I had eaten etc this night.
Tonight went to cinema had 4 glasses of red then went to Mexican restaurant had chicken and coleslaw and salad which did include beans
2 hours later test 3.9......
Anyone else had this of red wine?

Wojciechu

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I generally have low readings after alcohol, well beer being the exception.

Reactions: Paulm80

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

As I understand it if you have alcohol it delays the spike caused by food as the liver deals with the alcohol first and then the food.

That's just what I understand though- I'm sure someone with a bit more knowledge will chime in soon.

Reactions: lessci and Paulm80

Paulm80

Hi,

As I understand it if you have alcohol it delays the spike caused by food as the liver deals with the alcohol first and then the food.

That's just what I understand though- I'm sure someone with a bit more knowledge will chime in soon.

I understand all this, what I’m saying is I only get the very low readings from red wine, whiskey lowers my readings but not to the extreme wine does, even though it contains more carbs and I’m sure more sugar

Wojciechu

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I understand all this, what I’m saying is I only get the very low readings from red wine, whiskey lowers my readings but not to the extreme wine does, even though it contains more carbs and I’m sure more sugar

Did you drink sweet or dry? I believe dry and semi-dry wines are low on carbs.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Paulm80 I agree with the other posts that the lower readings after alcohol are due to the liver dealing with it, but your question specifically relates to red wine. I drink red wine too, and gin and champagne (when available). I wonder if it’s just a matter of the quantity of alcohol. Could you inadvertently be drinking more on your red wine nights? Merlot can be fairly potent, around 13-14% ABV and if you are having 4 large glasses that could easily be 10units of alcohol. Would you normally drink 10 measures of whisky on your whisky nights? I think it’s just easier to drink more wine than spirits without realising.
As a footnote Champagne lowers mine the most - bg stays low for the following day but then I get higher than normal readings for about 2 days after that as my body catches up with normal service.

Lotties

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Paulm80 I agree with the other posts that the lower readings after alcohol are due to the liver dealing with it, but your question specifically relates to red wine. I drink red wine too, and gin and champagne (when available). I wonder if it’s just a matter of the quantity of alcohol. Could you inadvertently be drinking more on your red wine nights? Merlot can be fairly potent, around 13-14% ABV and if you are having 4 large glasses that could easily be 10units of alcohol. Would you normally drink 10 measures of whisky on your whisky nights? I think it’s just easier to drink more wine than spirits without realising.
As a footnote Champagne lowers mine the most - bg stays low for the following day but then I get higher than normal readings for about 2 days after that as my body catches up with normal service.
Jockeys use drinking champagne to keep their weight down.

GGPFC

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Same for me, red wine lowers my readings but the chocolate orange craft beer I had a few days put it up - can't think why ;););)

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
wine, unless a sweet wine, has no carbs in it.......shouldn't really be more aggressive than whiskey as you say when it comes to the livers response......maybe your liver just doesn't like the alcohol from grapes....;)

Barrowbakers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I tend not to do a test if I have been drinking alcohol. I too love single malt and red wine - even my fasting level is usually good in the morning