What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Another rushed painting today. I'm having one of those days when you don't seem to be achieving anything although seem to be very busy and the day seems to be slipping away, hate that type of day.

So A5 again, watercolour, 25 mins and from my memory of a walk along the river Lyn in Devon last year but with loads of artistic license :joyful:

View attachment 37670
you are very talented @Muddy Cyclist as is @gennepher your paintings have brought a smile to my face :happy:

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Another rushed painting today. I'm having one of those days when you don't seem to be achieving anything although seem to be very busy and the day seems to be slipping away, hate that type of day.

So A5 again, watercolour, 25 mins and from my memory of a walk along the river Lyn in Devon last year but with loads of artistic license :joyful:

View attachment 37670

That is beautiful. I love the feel of the atmosphere.

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfairness/ use of offensive language.
I think Duke Orsino may have had diabetes; he certainly seems aware of how it feels, especially after 12 days of feasting:

If music be the food of love, play on;
Give me excess of it, that, surfeiting,
The appetite may sicken, and so die.
--Twelfth Night
This brought back memories of A Level Englsh Literature, SaskiaKC. It was one of the Shakespear plays we studied.:)

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfairness/ use of offensive language.
Many thanks everyone for your birthday wishes- much appreciated.:happy:

Reactions: HarryBeau

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

View attachment 37670

Looks a beautiful rock pool and tumbling water @Muddy Cyclist

Calming....

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@SaskiaKC hope you dont have any more disruption with the maintenance. Are they still planning to visit everyone’s flat? Hope the tea helps. @Muddy Cyclist lovely painting in such little time. Being near water makes me calm and breathe and the blues and greens in yours do that too. I am so thankful that you and @gennepher are posting your paintings, I find it so uplifting.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@SaskiaKC hope you dont have any more disruption with the maintenance. Are they still planning to visit everyone’s flat? Hope the tea helps. @Muddy Cyclist lovely painting in such little time. Being near water makes me calm and breathe and the blues and greens in yours do that too. I am so thankful that you and @gennepher are posting your paintings, I find it so uplifting.

Thank you. :)
I finally got to talk with the tenant who was given the notice to vacate her apartment for hours during the maintenance work. She got the notice and told some of us about it the week before Christmas; I saw her yesterday and we spoke for awhile. I came away from our conversation feeling more informed than I felt after talking with management.
I did hear some tapping and scraping sounds this morning -- nothing loud, and I don't think they were on my floor, and they stopped before lunch, thank goodness. :)
But I am in Yellow Alert mode for now, expecting to be given a notice any day about work scheduled on my floor/in my apartment. I hope I'm ready for whatever happens; at least the holidays are over so I don't feel so resentful about having my peace disturbed.

Reading @trick60 's and @True Blue 's back-to-work posts this morning really helped me remember I'm not the only one having to gear up again and get into a different frame of mind.

One really nice treat today is that one of the Hallmark channels is doing a 24-hour marathon of old Magnum, p.i. episodes, so not only do I have the TV on to help drown out any maintenance noises, I can also enjoy the adventures of these old, fun, cute "friends."

t0331.gif
t0331.gif

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

View attachment 37670

I wish I could do as Mary Poppins, Bert, and the Pevenseys, and pack up the KittenCat and my guitar and walk into this picture when the maintenance work starts in my building.
I imagine a cosy cottage or caravan somewhere just out of frame ...

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wish I could do as Mary Poppins, Bert, and the Pevenseys, and pack up the KittenCat and my guitar and walk into this picture when the maintenance work starts in my building.
I imagine a cosy cottage or caravan somewhere just out of frame ...
The picture was inspired by walks on Exmoor Devon where the Moor hits the sea and deep Oak Wooded cleaves have beautiful rivers flowing in them, most are too steep for cottages or caravans but there are some very pleasant farms on Exmoor and Villages on the sea shore, a lovely part of England for you to escape to, feel free to walk into my painting. Let's hope that the maintenance work is finished quickly and with as little disruption as possible.

Auto E

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!
6.0mmol/L this morning.

Endo was a dinosaur. Thinks that using a CGM is just a hassle and not worth any benefits. Says for prediabetes that diet doesn't matter; in his opinion only exercise can help. When I told him about learning about my reactive hypoglycemia after french fries (only found out because of the CGM), he said, "why would you want to know that?". He doesn't think that continuous glucose monitoring helps anyone.

Honestly, I was not surprised at all and I definitely didn't bother arguing at any point. That said, I guess in hindsight the following surprised me - he was so quick to write me Rx for metformin and zofran, but we haggled for the better part of 10 minutes before I could get him to write the Libre Rx. And then - only 1 month supply!!! Dude! He says his philosophy is to not let managing my blood sugar intrude on my life.

Of interest, he thinks it likely I will never progress to type II diabetes, despite my gestational blood glucose test failure and family history of T2D. Well, in that regard I certainly hope he is right. As you can imagine, after all this I didn't bother to ask him about my technical CGM questions.

Nice to be able to vent on here among kindred spirits. Luckily I still have a year of my Dexcom Rx left, since I'll only get one stinking month with the Libre.

Last edited:

Auto E

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Happy birthday @dogslife. Fbg of 6.2 for me. Nothing for me to be positive about in the WOE at the moment. Not surprised really, latest newsletter from D.co.uk proclaims: Low Carb Program ... demonstrated through the 1 year outcomes, with 1 in 4 people putting their type 2 diabetes into remission. Doesn't that mean 75% failure rate? I should actually be surprised when it "works" according to that. Welcome @Auto E these are really good people here and your numbers look fine. Hope you settle in here for the long run.

I was listening to a VIRTA podcast and they reported 2 year outcomes of 54% remission, which is better than the results you saw but still makes us wonder which of us low carb is most helpful for. So, have you thought about trying a different approach? Do you think low carb is helping to manage your blood sugars/prevent progression, or that your health would be the same without having used low carb for 4.5 years?. Sorry to ask so many questions, but I really do wonder - what do people do if low carb doesn't fix them? What is left to try? What is your 5 year plan, haha.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The picture was inspired by walks on Exmoor Devon where the Moor hits the sea and deep Oak Wooded cleaves have beautiful rivers flowing in them, most are too steep for cottages or caravans but there are some very pleasant farms on Exmoor and Villages on the sea shore, a lovely part of England for you to escape to, feel free to walk into my painting. Let's hope that the maintenance work is finished quickly and with as little disruption as possible.

Thank you. I will pack the cat! :D
I once saw a great movie about a farm dog in Devon. There were some wild ponies in the movie too, they were singing, to the tune of ' I Shall Not Be Moved' , 'We're traveling ' cross Devon, we shall not wear shoes'!

True Blue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning all.

Feeling hungry first thing yesterday, I stuffed my face dawn, noon and night, Must have eaten over 500g of assorted meat/cheese eggs. Too much food!

FBG 7.3 mmo/lt at 0615. Now how can that be?

Have a good day.

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good Morning and a 5.9 today hmm again no idea why with yesterday's LC day, most probably self inflicted stress again?

Off for a very Muddy Bike ride which will be at least 3 hours and very Aerobic as I have agreed to meet a friend who is 20 years younger than me and 20 years fitter, I'm a devil for punishment :banghead:

what do people do if low carb doesn't fix them? What is left to try? What is your 5 year plan, haha.
Sadly I don't think any of us have one, we all live in hope and sail into the unknown without a navigator with our blind faith, tested and battered but IMHO it's better than sitting back and doing nothing. Sorry you had a poor experience with your endo, most on this thread seem to have similar experiences with the many professional health workers they meet, very frustrating.

Onwards ever onwards each and every one don't let life get you down, be brave.

Last edited:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Fbg of 5.1 so bullet train to Slough of Despond cancelled for a day. £6 merino wool socks - 1 of the 23 pairs bought since mid December along with 3 beanies and a massive thick scarf- far more certain to continue bringing pleasure (I really. really like new socks). Today is all about thoughts, wishes and prayers for @DJC3 but tags for some others. @trick60 yes, step away from the weetybangs, @Muddy Cyclist, glutton for punishment or not your bike ride seems ideal for stress busting. @Auto E hug for Endosaurus episode and I will respond in separate post. Psalm 99 will hopefully be the order of the day for Mrs C.

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning...rearranged my clinic appointment yesterday just couldn't get into the right frame of mind...so off to clinic this morning...a good sleep last night I needed it,, ,more disciplined with the carbs yesterday it's taken me a while to get back in the right frame of mind...a quick coffee then must dash & get ready...kittens fed & recharged charging everywhere at full speed...woke to a 5.9 haven't seen a five for weeks so hopefully back on the right track now.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all.

Feeling hungry first thing yesterday, I stuffed my face dawn, noon and night, Must have eaten over 500g of assorted meat/cheese eggs. Too much food!

FBG 7.3 mmo/lt at 0615. Now how can that be?

Have a good day.
Whoops! Too much protein perhaps and not enough fat? This nicked from another site:
When you eat more protein than your body needs, some of its amino acids will be turned into glucose via a process called gluconeogenesis. According to some scientists, a well-formulated low-carb diet should be high in fat and moderate in protein.
A good range to aim for is 0.7–0.9 grams of protein per pound of body weight (1.5–2.0 grams per kg).

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I was listening to a VIRTA podcast and they reported 2 year outcomes of 54% remission, which is better than the results you saw but still makes us wonder which of us low carb is most helpful for. So, have you thought about trying a different approach? Do you think low carb is helping to manage your blood sugars/prevent progression, or that your health would be the same without having used low carb for 4.5 years?. Sorry to ask so many questions, but I really do wonder - what do people do if low carb doesn't fix them? What is left to try? What is your 5 year plan, haha.
Questions are good. Not sure I am at all the right person to answer but it is rude to ignore. Is LC helpful? Not sure myself but it massively reduces cals in so causes weight loss which I think has been the biggest driver for any improved control by me. I also go along with your Endo on exercise. For me a home gym, learning to swim and fitbit at least as important. Have I thought about a different approach? Bears and their habits in the woods springs to mind. 5 year plan? Move house, buy dogs and walk them in woods. Improve bg control and stop LC waking me up @ 0 hr dark 30 + solving non transit issues. Ideally, have the little hitchhiker long gone and docs saying all clear sir. Oh, and Spurs to win a trophy + England to win next RWC + another grandson or 2. ( I think it will take 10 years to rid us of our PM and another 40/50+ to undo the damage.) Have a great day.

Last edited:

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning everyone from the dark and dangerous north.

The wonder wheel of clocking in a pre-noon 5 miles and a blustery wind off the sea came in at 4.5 this a.m.

I got ambushed by Lara the Lung Nurse on my asthma review yesterday. I only went in to get my repeat prescription renewed and then POW - lets do to your pre-diabetic review bloods and then ZAP - here, have a HepA booster jab. Still, got to love freebies - no magic mushrooms this time though.
@Auto E - sad experience with the Endo cave dweller - strange that his personal philosophy overrides all (well we can all use that word if we can spell it). Quick, let’s find a philosophical quote from somewhere - I know, Marcus Aurelius will do.
Koffy time.
Have a great day if you can, rub some dubbing on your footwear if you can’t.