Interpreting self-test bg measurements

Wishman

I was diagnosed T2 in August 2018. HbA1c of 49 so only just! Was also massively overweight and unfit. Strangely, the diagnosis was the best thing that could have happened. 16 months later, 8 stone lighter, gym 3x per week, yoga 1x per week and officially 'in remission' (HbA1c 37). Happy days.

Up till now had focused on weight loss and didn't monitor bg but now want to, to understand what foods do and don't work for me. Have been eating moderately low carb <80g per day max and often <40g. Fasting bg ranges between 5 and 6 first thing in the morning.

So today had a bowl of porridge with raspberries. Felt a bit wrong to eat so many carbs at once! Pre-meal fasting bg was 5.7. Two hours after eating 5.3, three hours later after a salad lunch (almost no carbs) was 5.6. This was so not what I was expecting - shouldn't the readings have gone up after food? Any advice welcome. I will test again after porridge in a couple of days to see if the same thing happens.

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Auto E

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A lucky few are ok with porridge, but not many. I would definitely check a few more time before becoming too confident.

Personally I think that some type 2 pretty much resolve their issues by losing fat from their internal organs, others by losing significant amounts of weight. Yet others don’t seem to achieve the same level of control because possibly their issue wasn’t suffocated organs or the weight wasn’t the driver for them, in excess or not. This is just my opinion from the many example I see in these forums though it seems widely supported that type 2 may have various subtypes as yet undefined.

Last edited:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So today had a bowl of porridge with raspberries. Felt a bit wrong to eat so many carbs at once! Pre-meal fasting bg was 5.7. Two hours after eating 5.3, three hours later after a salad lunch (almost no carbs) was 5.6. This was so not what I was expecting - shouldn't the readings have gone up after food? Any advice welcome. I will test again after porridge in a couple of days to see if the same thing happens.

After your significant weight loss and improvement in HbA1c I'd say you have recovered a lot of your insulin sensitivity and eating that meal and your body's reaction to it shows that.
I would however caution against eating that way regularly as we all know that weight regain is both easy and likely to lead to the same problem as before so....

Reactions: Wishman

Wishman

Good advice thank you. Although now maintaining rather than trying to lose weight I stand on the scales 1st thing every morning just to be sure the weight is not creeping back on...

Auto E

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A lucky few are ok with porridge, but not many. I would definitely check a few more time before becoming too confident.

Personally I think that some type 2 pretty much resolve their issues by losing fat from their internal organs, others by losing significant amounts of weight. Yet others don’t seem to achieve the same level of control because possibly their issue wasn’t suffocated organs or the weight wasn’t the driver for them, in excess or not. This is just my opinion from the many example I see in these forums though it seems widely supported that type 2 may have various subtypes as yet undefined.
I completely agree.