first post - help and advise following bloods from Doctor.

il638

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All, first post here, its been about 6 weeks that i have started waking up in the night once absolutely bursting for the toilet. Been to docs for a blood test and they said my hbac1 (she said its aveerage of last 3 months)i think it was is at 46mmol and 48 is diabetics and normal range is under 41. they have given me 6 months before a retest to sort diet and excercise out. Now ive never really dieted before or watched what ive ate, always had a sweet tooth, and diabetes does run in my family, my mum is on injections, dad on tablets.

I am 32 and just wanted some advise on the food aspect of stuff, to try prevent it and get my figures down as well as lose weight. exce3rcise side i can do, as ive been active most my life, just had rapid weight gain in last 2 to 3 yrs since having two kids under 2 and stopping gym.
what are the main foods to avoid? is it just aim for low carb diet? carb cycle?

any help in this area would be appreciated.

thanks

il638

p.s. can i control it with diet and excercise or am i just delaying the inevitable with it running in family?

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was in a very similar position in Aug of this year (Similar age) (My HBA1C was 87 though!), i took the approach (slightly different to many who will comment below) of hitting exercise to loose weight and change my diet.

Many people on here will talk about the Keto LCHF diet also, so the choice will be yours.

I have lots of Diabetes in my family, but those who are on injections and such in my family are all not very good at controlling their diet and activity. I don’t think its inevitable you go down that path, but it is a big lifestyle change.

Basically, I went back to getting active – physical activity 3 or 4 times a week and especially High intensity Interval training (Like circuit training or various things you can do at home I can share in more detail if of interest). That’s good because the “high intensity” part where you go crazy for a short period so your really our of breath helps flush your bodys reserves of glucose – this is said to be more effective then a similar quantity of “moderate exercise” However any activity is good.

From a diet point of view, I did cut all refined carbs (Sugar, cakes, bread, pasta, potatoes, rice).

However, I didn’t cut carbs entirely like the Keto diet, I still allowed whole grains, lentils, beans etc.

The most important and useful thing you can do though, is buy a glucose meter – they are cheap and will give you a very good idea of how foods affect you. For the first few months I tested before and after every meal, kept a log of what I ate and got a good picture of what caused rises above the level I was happy with.

This lead to reintroduction over time of small quantities of some pasta, a small portion of bread here and there but kept mash/cakes/rice off the menu.

My HBA1C dropped to 33 and I have lost 4 stone – never felt so well.

Reactions: il638 and svgittins

Route 66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
My first move was to cut out all sugar. I was drinking fizzy pop like it was going out of fashion. So, out went the pop, sugar in tea and coffee, cakes, sweets and chocolate. Didn't take too long before I was visiting the loo less.

Next move was to start on the carbs - Potatoes, bread, pasta and rice were consigned to the past and now I am starting the third phase of looking more closely at the carbs and following some of the excellent dietary advice on this site.

Combined with exercise and just Seven months in and feeling much better in myself.

Your Hba1c is not too bad at all and I am sure that if you follow the advice on here you will soon feel better.

Good luck on your journey.

Reactions: DJC3

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All, first post here, its been about 6 weeks that i have started waking up in the night once absolutely bursting for the toilet. Been to docs for a blood test and they said my hbac1 (she said its aveerage of last 3 months)i think it was is at 46mmol and 48 is diabetics and normal range is under 41. they have given me 6 months before a retest to sort diet and excercise out. Now ive never really dieted before or watched what ive ate, always had a sweet tooth, and diabetes does run in my family, my mum is on injections, dad on tablets.

I am 32 and just wanted some advise on the food aspect of stuff, to try prevent it and get my figures down as well as lose weight. exce3rcise side i can do, as ive been active most my life, just had rapid weight gain in last 2 to 3 yrs since having two kids under 2 and stopping gym.
what are the main foods to avoid? is it just aim for low carb diet? carb cycle?

any help in this area would be appreciated.

thanks

il638

p.s. can i control it with diet and excercise or am i just delaying the inevitable with it running in family?
https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html should help you with some basic do's and don't's. You're in the prediabetic range, which does mean you are genetically predisposed to develop T2, which with your background was kind of logical, but yeah... You can make some changes and get back into the normal range. It's for life though, it's never going to go away and you will need to low carb ad infinitum. You might want to share the knowledge you're about to take in with your parents too. There are people who have come back from meds and/or insulin with a diet change, but it would be advisable to have medical assistance when on meds/insulin, as hypo's are extremely likely. All in all though.... You can get back into the normal range pretty quick, maybe a week or two. And forget carb cycling. All carbs are problematic for a prediabetic/T2. If you cycle it'll just destroy any progress you've made in the day(s) before.

Good luck!
Jo
PS: You might want to get yourself and your parents Dr. Jason Fung's The Diabetes Code as a late Christmas pressie. That book's a lifesaver.

Reactions: DJC3 and il638

DaveHFCooper

Hi literally got diagnosed on Thursday and my hbac1 was 118 massive shock to the system first finger prick test was 28.8 managed to get this down to 14.8 today which has increased since the weekend. Will be interesting to see how this post spans out as not really sure yet what is good and what is bad yet! Good luck

Reactions: il638

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi literally got diagnosed on Thursday and my hbac1 was 118 massive shock to the system first finger prick test was 28.8 managed to get this down to 14.8 today which has increased since the weekend. Will be interesting to see how this post spans out as not really sure yet what is good and what is bad yet! Good luck
If you have any specific questions, give a shout, there's always people here with a variety of answers.

il638

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Basically, I went back to getting active – physical activity 3 or 4 times a week and especially High intensity Interval training (Like circuit training or various things you can do at home I can share in more detail if of interest). .

this is a brilliant post so haoppy for what you have achieved in such a short space of time. mine being 46mmol doesnt sound that bad against them figures, great work, please do share the circuit training info, i have just started 20mins stairmaster 20mins fast walk treadmill 3 x week and 30mins weights 3 x weeks on the alternate days, so 6 sessions at gym.

hardest part for me is the diet, ive done two days so far on low carb recording via myfitnesspal, only had one little snickers from a celebration box in these twodays by mistake as im so used to just eating chocolate after evry meal. :(

sugar is only from fruit going forward, what are the best fruits and nuts i should purchase?

il638

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My first move was to cut out all sugar. I was drinking fizzy pop like it was going out of fashion. So, out went the pop, sugar in tea and coffee, cakes, sweets and chocolate. Didn't take too long before I was visiting the loo less.

Next move was to start on the carbs - Potatoes, bread, pasta and rice were consigned to the past and now I am starting the third phase of looking more closely at the carbs and following some of the excellent dietary advice on this site.

Combined with exercise and just Seven months in and feeling much better in myself.

Your Hba1c is not too bad at all and I am sure that if you follow the advice on here you will soon feel better.

Good luck on your journey.
thank you, one thing thats good for me is ive never eever been addicted to fizzy drinks, dont like the feeling on my throat, so i would maybe have half a can a yr if that, im mainly fruit juice or water drinker with meals (however from what ive read i need more water, around 3 litres) so thats what im working on

il638

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
thank you for this JOkalsbeek very helpful, i will definitely look at these resources, i guess its a lifestyle change now thats required. if i manage to maintain for a year, how do you guys handle holidays abroad? do you have the week off (im a yearly regular holiday person) or watch what you eat on holiday too , just wanting to check as i wouldn't want to binge for a week and then struggle for a month on return.

Reactions: JoKalsbeek

Route 66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
My advice is watch what you eat on holiday as well. It's easy to fall off the wagon, but much harder to climb back up.

Once you have a taste and all that .......

il638

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
very true, i guess cheat meal than cheat days makes more sense.

thanks

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
this is a brilliant post so haoppy for what you have achieved in such a short space of time. mine being 46mmol doesnt sound that bad against them figures, great work, please do share the circuit training info, i have just started 20mins stairmaster 20mins fast walk treadmill 3 x week and 30mins weights 3 x weeks on the alternate days, so 6 sessions at gym.

hardest part for me is the diet, ive done two days so far on low carb recording via myfitnesspal, only had one little snickers from a celebration box in these twodays by mistake as im so used to just eating chocolate after evry meal. :(

sugar is only from fruit going forward, what are the best fruits and nuts i should purchase?
Regarding fruit, avoid sweet tropical fruit like bananas and mangos, stick to berries - raspberries, strawberries, blueberries as they contain less sugar. Serve with extra thick cream for a delicious pud. If you buy the frozen fruit you can chuck some in a blender with cream while still frozen and get a sort of ice cream.
My advice is to focus on the lovely food you can eat now, cream, cheese, eggs, fish and the fattier cuts of meat - no more paying for expensive ‘extra lean’ mince. If you really miss chocolate try a couple of squares of Lindt 90% or the Aldi Moser Roth chocolate ( I think it’s 85%) don’t assume all dark chocolate is low carb though - they vary tremendously.
Have you bought a glucose meter? It’s already been mentioned but it’s the best way to keep an eye on what’s happening.
You’ve made a great start, well done.

Reactions: Lotties and il638

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
thank you for this JOkalsbeek very helpful, i will definitely look at these resources, i guess its a lifestyle change now thats required. if i manage to maintain for a year, how do you guys handle holidays abroad? do you have the week off (im a yearly regular holiday person) or watch what you eat on holiday too , just wanting to check as i wouldn't want to binge for a week and then struggle for a month on return.
Ah... Holidays. It completely depends what you want, I suppose. I haven't been abroad much in the meantime, but managed perfectly well in Germany last year. (Most of the time "Ohne brot, bitte/Without bread, please" was quite sufficient. My husband often eats my fries. :) ). We're probably off to Venice this year though, and while I'm pretty sure the restaurants near our hotel there have menu's available in English, I'm playing it safe by bringing a little multilingual card I'm going to have made up by then.

EN: I have Type 2 diabetes. That's why I don't eat a lot of carbohydrates. Please, NO rice, potatoes, pasta, corn, grains and sugars. Extra vegetables or meat are welcome. Thank you so very much!

~

DE: Ich habe Diabetes Typ 2. Deshalb esse ich nicht viel Kohlenhydrate. Bitte KEINE Reis, Kartoffeln, Nudeln, Mais, Getreide und Zucker. Zusätzliches Gemüse oder Fleisch sind willkommen. Vielen Dank!

~

IT: Ho il diabete di tipo 2. Ecco perché non mangio molti carboidrati. Per favore, NON riso, patate, pasta, mais, cereali e zuccheri. Verdure o carne extra sono i benvenuti. Mille Grazie!

~

FR: J'ai le diabète de type 2. C'est pourquoi je ne mange pas beaucoup de glucides. Sil vous plait PAS le riz, les pommes de terre, les pâtes, le maïs, les céréales et les sucres. Les légumes ou la viande sont les bienvenus. Merci beaucoup!
No idea whether the translations make proper sense, but I'll just sue Google Translate if it goes wrong. ;) Of course, sometimes there's hidden carbs in your meal, which your meter'll let you know... Perk being, when on holiday it's easier to walk them off and just label it sight seeing. If you're a fan of all inclusive vacations with buffets, it's that much easier... You just pick and choose the right meals yourself. With unlimited meat, fish, veggies, poultry and whatnot, it's easy to eat your fill and ignore the dessert set-up, because you're so full you could burst as it is. Some people just indulge for a week, but I've paid the price a little too recently for that to endorse it. Still, it is a choice you can make. Or you can relax your diet a little or more than a little, (not immediately binge or anything), just be aware that it may cost you. You could just try and navigate your way through. I would suggest trying to find restaurants online where you're likely to eat, near your hotel and various destinations, and check their menu's. It can make picking a meal so much easier when you've had Google Translate at hand at home and a cheat sheet hidden with your phone with "safe" foods. Count it under "vacation anticipation fun". ;)

All in all, it is entirely up to you. You say it's a once a year thing, but so is Christmas, and your birthday... There's a bunch of once-a-year-things in a year. So you'll have choices to make. But it depends entirely upon you. I might share some gelato with my husband when we're in Venice. But I won't go near pasta or pizza or risotto. Those things to me aren't worth it. So that's where your decision lies: What is the price you pay, and is it worth it? Is the price a quick walk, or is the price a few weeks of carb cravings and complications and whatnot? How far can you go, and how much restraint can you practice? No-one here can answer that for you, experience and your meter will.

Above all though: Enjoy the holiday. Don't let food ruin your experience.
Jo

Reactions: il638 and DJC3

il638

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
appreciate the help guys, brilliant posts, job for this weekend is get a glucose metre and cream wise, can it be any cream such as the elmea full fat? or single from asda or a specific type? tried cottage cheese for the first time yesterday and nearly puked, not my cuppa tea lol, anyone use green teas and similar at all? im not really a hot drinks person either but can help with loosing weight i have heard,

i guess holiday and desert time, is an excuse as a father now to eat the left overs from the wife and kids. That way i wont over indulge.

im usually a wrap and burger person too, so need to find alternatives, i guess steaks and meat and veg and salad. maybe a blob of mash too with it.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
appreciate the help guys, brilliant posts, job for this weekend is get a glucose metre and cream wise, can it be any cream such as the elmea full fat? or single from asda or a specific type? tried cottage cheese for the first time yesterday and nearly puked, not my cuppa tea lol, anyone use green teas and similar at all? im not really a hot drinks person either but can help with loosing weight i have heard,

i guess holiday and desert time, is an excuse as a father now to eat the left overs from the wife and kids. That way i wont over indulge.

im usually a wrap and burger person too, so need to find alternatives, i guess steaks and meat and veg and salad. maybe a blob of mash too with it.

Full fat always has the preference over skimmed or light, brand doesn't really matter. Same with yoghurt: the fattest one is usually full fat greek, natural. (Add in some nuts, berries or whatever as needed). As for cottage cheese, it's not a must if you hate it. ;) Besides, soft cheeses have some carbs... Hard ones usually don't, unless there's a flavour added, like honey. Stilton, Gouda, Edammer, cheddar, Parmesan, hard aged goat's cheeses which I LOVE etc are perfectly fine... And easier to snack on than something mushy. As said, you can have a burger, just tell 'em to hold the bun. At Subway I still get my favourite sub, just as a salad, now. (And without the honey mustard sauce.... Just go with mayo or something instead. And I get them to add avocado, as it fills nicely). There are plenty of work-arounds if you have a moment to find them. I still go to McD's and Burger King, just stick with the bunless burgers. There's a lot of places here in the Netherlands where I can get eggs any which way for lunch, and I usually add bacon and ham and whatever other meat they have on offer (Can be roast beef, smoked meats, whatever... And maybe cheese too, as well as a side of salad). If you go for salads, go for ones which have fats and protein in. Leafy greens are nice and all, but they don't fill you up. So if you go with tuna, salmon, warmed goat's cheese, chicken, avocado, eggs, that sort of thing, it'll be filling and keep you going for a while. Check what dressing they use though, as some contain honey and that will hit the system hard. Most places have olive oil and/or vinegar or mayo on offer, so you can always ask for that as an alternative. For me, personally, I absolutely detest the taste of green tea, but it's got loads of antioxidants and other health benefits... Not enough to get me to drink the stuff though. ;) So you can try it, and if you like it, more power to you, but I'm getting along fine without that vile drink. ;) I'm sticking with my Earl Grey, Chais and whatnot. I have espresso's, and sometimes espresso macchiato's or espresso con panna (with a bit of whipped cream). And carbonated water, as I can't stand the still stuff. That's the key to it, basically: find the stuff you like which fits in your diet, and disregard the stuff you detest (like cottage cheese) and this lifestyle'll be a breeze for you. It is a lifelong deal after all, so the idea is being able to keep it up. If you love what you do eat, it's not the cross to bear it seems to be at the start... I don't eat anything I dislike, that's for sure. Oh, and mash... If you mean mashed potato, not the best plan. Sorry. Better just have insane amounts of meat and veg. (Cauliflower rice is an excellent replacement though, you might want to try that. Does well as a substitute for rice and the like as well, surprisingly enough. I didn't believe it either, now I have it almost daily.)

You'll get there. ;)
Jo

Lotties

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Elmlea is not cream. It a vegetable fat concotion although at least one assistant in Morrison thought it was cream and was surprised when I read her the label. A bit like bread and butter on a menu -99% of the time the butter is actually margarine when you ask!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Was the cottage cheese the low fat one? They are a bit nasty. Full fat cheese is the way to go.
I get the mint and licorice teas sachets, separately, just put one of each in my big mug. I did notice that there is a premixed one now - I recommended the mix to so many people it must have come to the notice of the powers that be.
If you want mash try the cauliflower alternative to potato.
For wraps - a waffle maker and a mix of eggs and cheese plus a few other bits is a good swap.
I found that going low carb meant effortless weightloss.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

I am type 1 but chocolate is a disaster area for me! If it is the house I eat it so my only solution is to ban it until Friday and to fill up on great quality fats and proteins with veg in between. If you've been relying on sweet treats for a sugar boost or to relax post bedtime then it will feel tough for a little so I would work out what you can commit to realistically e.g. if the treat was everyday could you stick to every other day?
It is tricky with a family but with my lot I've tried to focus on cooking from scratch and just adding a small portion of carbs for those that eat it e.g. growing kids. Nobody needs the treats box so i don't keep treats in the house and ust buy them sweets once a week.
Fruits-wise, berries or pears and apples may be better than bananas and tropical fruits but there are other things you could fill up on that won't jack up your blood sugars or cause you to gain weight e.g boiled eggs, nuts/seeds

Reactions: Lotties

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Ok sorry this took for a few days to get back been busy at work:

With diet, I found the only way I could cope in first few months was to go “cold turkey”. I really would describe refined carbs and junk food as an addiction for me. t was really hard for the first couple of weeks, then got so much easier and was really easy for a few months.

Then I went away for the weekend and had some drink, pasta, cake, bread etc over a weekend – fine for a treat I thought. What I found was that the next two weeks were super hard again as I was craving all those things again – just had to gut it out and was fine from then on.

The issue you will find, is that your numbers are low now, but statistically if you don’t change your life style your very likely to end up with much higher numbers and on a downward trajectory – its not a progressive illness if you change but it is if you don’t.

So: Key points as discussed above – get a meter and check. Loads of posts on here above types of meters and how to check but that’s really useful. It will also give you a good idea of what sort of things you need to cut or cut down on. In this context portions are key, because I also reduced significantly my carb portions even while keeping them on the plate. So, a curry that used to come with a huge pile of rice and a whole naan bread, might now come with a small portion of bulgur wheat and a few pieces of naan but perhaps with a veggie side dish. Or a big portion of cauliflower rice and a bigger portion of Naan (But not both the larger portion of Naan and the Wheat).

Exercise I started at 3x 30mins a week and built up to 4/5 30 – 90mins a week. Just make sure what your doing is sustainable, going to hard too soon can lead to injury or burn out.

Two or three sessions I did HIIT (High intensity interval training) – The beauty of this method is that its great for diabetics as it is a good way to flush glucose and glycogen from your body (and liver in particular). This effectively leaves space for more to be absorbed form food rather than staying in the blood. (If you like group sessions I serious recommend doing to gym circuit training classes or “boot camp” type things they may do – that’s basically HIIT spending a min at a station and then moving onto the next)

Principle is that you do 30 seconds to 60 seconds of very high intensity exercise followed by rest (or recovery as you get fitter. So high intensity means that you’re working at the most you can do “chased by a bear mode” and it can be any exercise.

So tread mills as an example: a HIIT on a treadmill (or out door run) would be setting a program or doing it manual where you sprint for 30 seconds as fast as you can, then catch your breath for 30 – 60 seconds while walking. Repeat 10 times.

Or doing body weight exercises like pushups, squats etc – go full pelt for 30 seconds then recover -repeat.

I started doing to above, but rapidly gained fitness so now my “recover” is what used to be my max. For example, running I used to do a 10km/h “sprint” on a 2% incline, followed by a 5km/h walk as recover. Now I do a 15km/h sprint on a 5% incline with a 9km/h jog in recovery. I get the same benefit as before, but as you step it up based on your fitness you’re always working hard.

Another good one i like mixed body weight exercise combined with a cardio machine (like a rower). So 300m casual row, jump off and do 30 squats, 250m row/25 star jumps, 200m/20 squat thrusts, 150m/15lunges, 100m/10 press ups, 50m/50burpees. (Do the same on a bike of cross trainer, again mixing it up with a given target followed by a number of what ever exercise)

The “body weight exercise are done as fast as you can do them (when I started for example, I could only do the squats in sets of 10’s with a breath and leg shake in-between). Now I also sprint the rowing and go back up from 50m-300m – the point being that this type of exercise calibrates to your level of fitness and there is no upper limit.

These sets only take 10 or 15mins to do but make such a difference to your overall fitness and do a good job of clearing your system.

In addition, weights are really good – again I would recommend the “cardio” approach to weights and make sure your doing a good mix of muscle groups as muscle stimulation and strength reduces insulin resistance. Rather then going for very heavy weight and large sets, do 8, 6, 4, 4, 6, 8 reps, where you start on a comfortable weight on the 8, then add one peg as you go down the reps (for the heaviest weight your own doing 4 reps), then reduce the weight as you go back up.

Aside from general machine exercise, Dead Lift, Weighted Squats and bench press are kings for working your whole body – but if you’re not an experienced lifter, get some guidance on how to dead lift properly or you can hurt yourself (Getting posture right is king – I have been at it for months and I have only just started adding much weight as it took me a while to get the posture right – I haven’t been injured or pulled a muscle once since I started in August). Again, I used 8 6 4 4 6 8 sets for these.

I do think that losing the weight and increasing activity can have a drastic affect on your body’s ability to process carbs. It cannot work for everyone – I know lots of people on here are pretty clear on this - and who knows if it will be a long-term thing for me. But I had pasta for tea last night – first time in a long-time spaghetti carbanara (a smaller portion with a side salad rather than a massive bowl but still). Last time I ate it in September, my bloods went to 15. Last night I maxed at 6.2, this morning I was at 5.1 so I processed that meal without any fuss. That’s not drugs or being low carb, that’s my body doing what it should because I have helped it remember how or need the energy through my activity.

Good luck with your journey, feel free to PM me if you want to discuss further - seems were in similar positions :)

Edit: Also if your going for weight loss.. weight yourself every week, at the same time and take the reading as correct. Record it and tend it over the time (use an app or do a spread sheet). Then set several goals at intervals for treats, but make the treats things you will enjoy but not carb blow outs (or you will suffer for it from my experience). So i had goal lines set every 3 or 4kg of loss, (set for nice round numbers, or for crossing BMI thresholds). My Treats were things like going out for a Nadoes, where i knew i could eat half a chicken and some nice sides without having a load of carbs but still feel like i had a really nice treat. Or getting a 16oz steak from the butchers - lovely treat but not all the carbs. Key here is if the weight loss stops or goes up, you have to keep measuring and logging it, stopping logging because you dont like the number is the road to failure for sure. Some weeks it wont go up or down becuase of whats in your gut, but over 4 measurements in the month the average will be the telling line you should care about.

Last edited:
Reactions: ByeBye