What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I signed up for the DD challenge too but will have to start next week, this week is too difficult, with hotel stays and going back to London tomorrow, will prob eat out a couple of times. Looking forward to seeing how you get on with it @maglil55 and sorry for mentioning the blueberry and lemon drizzle cakes.
Today I had the biggest hotel breakfast ever:
1) scrambled eggs with smoked salmon
2) scrambled eggs with a load of mushrooms
3) deliciously thick Gk yoghurt 1 teaspoon berry compote and 2 teaspoon mixed nuts. Lots of coffee
I intended to go to the spa and swim for a bit afterwards but I couldn’t move for about 4 hrs so just sat and read. Mr C said it served me right I must have had about a dozen eggs! I think he was exaggerating but not by much.
Lunch: none ( surprise!)
D: still not really hungry but girls are coming round for his bday dinner which he’s requested - steak. I bought myself a v small one and will have a bit of salad - the others can have chips mushrooms, onions with theirs.
@Chook your OH has a wicked sense of humour. Mean!

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
B. 2 slices of Hi-Lo toast with butter and vegemite, black tea, black coffee.
2 hour walk.
L. Good ol' fry up. 2 slices halloumi, egg, baby plum tomatoes, mushrooms and spinach
Snack. Mixed salted nuts, olives, 2 squares dark chocolate.
D. Lightly dusted cod fillet, roast Mediterranean vege, broccoli.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 sounds like you’re doing the egg challenge! Mind you we get through loads of eggs each week I love them. Hope your journey to London tomorrow goes well and wishing you the best of luck with your hospital appointment I’m sure lots like me will be thinking of you and crossing fingers and toes for you. Puts the diabetic checks into perspective.
@maglil55 your DD challenge sounds interesting they’ve offered me another free month trial and may well do to catch up with their videos which are excellent.
Breakfast one slice of bacon and egg with half a toasted chaffle
Coffee throughout day
Dinner Cajun chicken with coleslaw followed by warm hm lc lemon cake with full fat yoghurt plus a hotel choc high cocoa choc with decaff coffee.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Carnivory Continues - @maglil55 I keep thinking of that song you linked to at the end of carnivore month last year - now the carnival is over - going round and round in my head.

@Chook hope your numbers soon return to normal.

Lunch today was bacon, eggs and cheese at the cafe near work. Dinner was chicken wings - 50/50 split between garlic Parmesan and lemon pepper.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
Todays intake:
Slice LivLife toast, thick butter, tea x2.
Lunch: Same as yesterday, lettuce, shavings of small amount of Stilton and spoon Cheese coleslaw.
Supper: one of my faves, roasted chunks aubergine, red onion and cherry toms sprinkled with EVO and scattered Italian herbs.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@DJC3 sounds like you’re doing the egg challenge! Mind you we get through loads of eggs each week I love them. Hope your journey to London tomorrow goes well and wishing you the best of luck with your hospital appointment I’m sure lots like me will be thinking of you and crossing fingers and toes for you. Puts the diabetic checks into perspective.
@maglil55 your DD challenge sounds interesting they’ve offered me another free month trial and may well do to catch up with their videos which are excellent.
Breakfast one slice of bacon and egg with half a toasted chaffle
Coffee throughout day
Dinner Cajun chicken with coleslaw followed by warm hm lc lemon cake with full fat yoghurt plus a hotel choc high cocoa choc with decaff coffee.
The weekly shopping list for DD meal plan 1 said I needed 39 eggs. Fortunately, I knew it was doubling up because I'd left it as 2 people (Hubby will eat tweaked versions) and just adjusted for what he won't eat. This was where we went wrong with the 2 week challenge many moons ago. We had it as 2 people plus it kept in the dinner followed by lunch for 2 next day and we ended up with loads of cabbage. I suspect @Brunneria and @Chook still have nightmares about it.
PS It's a 10 week - I thought it was 12 weeks. I've been a member for ages but I decided to take advantage of their annual payment before Christmas.

@DJC3 - Fingers crossed for tomorrow x

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Yesterday evening I found a tub of chicken liver pate in the freezer, so I substituted that for whatever it was I was going to have. Took a dessertspoon of it onto my plate, which I forced myself to eat but dumped the rest. I hadn't realised that I must have put some coconut flour in it and I didn't enjoy the result - far too dry. Later I was hungry, of course, and had some roasted cashew nuts - about 20 gm. Carb content of those shouldn't have been more than 5 gm so I thought I'd get away with it. BG before bed - 9.5. Coconut? or cashew nuts? Or something else? Don't know.

FBG today 6.4 and a fairly early brunch at 11.00 - 3 slices streaky bacon and 2 fried eggs with several cups of tea. Hungry again halfway through the afternoon and had some more cashew nuts - about 10-15 gms. Wonder what effect that will have on my BG.

Dinner was some ready cooked, frozen pork medallions. I think I had marinaded them in yoghurt but the label was too blurred to read. Reheated them in some butter and then finished them with thick cream to make a sauce. Had about a serving spoon full and did manage to eat it, but I didn't really enjoy it and left the rest. Just having a cup of black coffee to try to make my stomach feel a bit more comfortable. Too rich.

I do like meat, and I thought I would enjoy a much more meat oriented diet, but I'm not so sure now. I'll keep going for a bit - and try to avoid the nuts - and we'll see what happens.

Neil got the Scenic back but the weather is foul so we won't go shopping until Thursday at the earliest. He did get me some eggs, cheese and butter because he was shopping for his own soya milk anyway. That will have to do. I daresay the shelves will be pretty empty anyway with the ferries and planes off.

Quinn1066

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@SlimLizzy - I love raw carrot as well. When I'm prepping carrots and other veg I have a circle of dogs sitting patiently around me - they love raw veg, too and will eat virtually any veg raw or cooked.
@Quinn1066 - do you spice your tofu yourself or buy it ready spiced? If you spice it yourself do you have a recipe for it. I'm trying to like tofu but, so far, it always tastes so bland.
@Winnie-the-Pooh and @DJC3 - I love raw mushroom too and usually put salad dressing on it half an hour or so before making up the rest of the salad because the mushrooms absorb the flavour so beautifully.

I'm having a blissfully quiet day - still not used to the house being emptied of rampaging visitors and Mr C has gone back to work after his bereavement leave. So nice to get to use the bathroom whenever I want to.....

My BG isn't behaving itself (yet) but I'm hoping over the next few days to see some improvement. I did manage to get it down to 6.2 yesterday briefly before dinner but it was back up in the high 9s before bed. Today's FBG was 11.1 and before lunch it was 9.2.

So, today's food (both eaten and planned) is as follows:

Breakfast: Half cheddar and half mozzarella chaffle with a fried egg on top (note to self, needs to be two eggs as was very cheesey)
Lunch: 30g Red Leicester cheese with a few cherry tomatoes and cucumber slices
Dinner: Will be.... leftover quorn roast diced and stir fried with a mixture of mushrooms, celery, red pepper, fennel, mangetout, raw beetroot and pak choi - it won't be huge because I'm just not felt hungry over the past few days. Just got to think of some kind of sauce or flavouring to put with it.

Drinks: black decaff x 2 huge mugs, lots of bottled water and maybe a glass of diet tonic this evening.

No I don't spice it myself, this came in a nice little pre-portioned pack of three slices, from the local store up the road. However I have crumbed and baked firm tofu myself, in homemade rye bread crumbs before. One could add seasonings to the bread crumbs. Also if you google lemon pepper baked tofu it will give you recipes of how to marinate the tofu overnight to get more flavor into it, plus the lemon pepper recipies don't need the breadcrumbs, and you can just add the tofu to a vegetable stirfry after it's baked for a quick dinner.

D

Deleted member 308541

Breakfast yesterday: Usual cheese and mushroom omelette, nice fatty bacon, tomato.
Lunch: Goat chops done on the bbq, salad.
Dinner: Medium rare rump steak, rest of the lunch time salad.

Drinks: Black coffee / tea no sugary, water.

Spent some of the afternoon changing the wifi password on all of our phones, notebooks, chromebooks, televisions, chromecasts, after receiving our replacement router / modem from our ISP after complaining about it on Monday morning.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yesterday evening I found a tub of chicken liver pate in the freezer, so I substituted that for whatever it was I was going to have. Took a dessertspoon of it onto my plate, which I forced myself to eat but dumped the rest. I hadn't realised that I must have put some coconut flour in it and I didn't enjoy the result - far too dry. Later I was hungry, of course, and had some roasted cashew nuts - about 20 gm. Carb content of those shouldn't have been more than 5 gm so I thought I'd get away with it. BG before bed - 9.5. Coconut? or cashew nuts? Or something else? Don't know.

FBG today 6.4 and a fairly early brunch at 11.00 - 3 slices streaky bacon and 2 fried eggs with several cups of tea. Hungry again halfway through the afternoon and had some more cashew nuts - about 10-15 gms. Wonder what effect that will have on my BG.

Dinner was some ready cooked, frozen pork medallions. I think I had marinaded them in yoghurt but the label was too blurred to read. Reheated them in some butter and then finished them with thick cream to make a sauce. Had about a serving spoon full and did manage to eat it, but I didn't really enjoy it and left the rest. Just having a cup of black coffee to try to make my stomach feel a bit more comfortable. Too rich.

I do like meat, and I thought I would enjoy a much more meat oriented diet, but I'm not so sure now. I'll keep going for a bit - and try to avoid the nuts - and we'll see what happens.

Neil got the Scenic back but the weather is foul so we won't go shopping until Thursday at the earliest. He did get me some eggs, cheese and butter because he was shopping for his own soya milk anyway. That will have to do. I daresay the shelves will be pretty empty anyway with the ferries and planes off.
It's vile here too. I was getting battered on the city bypass which is elevated and the rain the past 2 hours has been torrential. Hope it batters itself out before tomorrow morning when I have the school run. I noticed the cancelled ferries were on the news tonight. There seems to be more than a few stuck as a result. Having said that I wouldn't have much fancied being on one if it did sail!

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My DIL is quite fond of making a Tofu curry which gets a lot of flavour into it.
No I don't spice it myself, this came in a nice little pre-portioned pack of three slices, from the local store up the road. However I have crumbed and baked firm tofu myself, in homemade rye bread crumbs before. One could add seasonings to the bread crumbs. Also if you google lemon pepper baked tofu it will give you recipes of how to marinate the tofu overnight to get more flavor into it, plus the lemon pepper recipies don't need the breadcrumbs, and you can just add the tofu to a vegetable stirfry after it's baked for a quick dinner.

Reactions: Quinn1066

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The weekly shopping list for DD meal plan 1 said I needed 39 eggs. Fortunately, I knew it was doubling up because I'd left it as 2 people (Hubby will eat tweaked versions) and just adjusted for what he won't eat. This was where we went wrong with the 2 week challenge many moons ago. We had it as 2 people plus it kept in the dinner followed by lunch for 2 next day and we ended up with loads of cabbage. I suspect @Brunneria and @Chook still have nightmares about it.
PS It's a 10 week - I thought it was 12 weeks. I've been a member for ages but I decided to take advantage of their annual payment before Christmas.

@DJC3 - Fingers crossed for tomorrow x

Thank you.
I did the same with the annual membership this year. I consider it almost like a charitable donation.
I’ve also fallen foul of the shopping list double up but the thought of all of you with all of those cabbages has made me laugh.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: Greek yoghurt, coconut chia pudding and macadamia and coconut keto granola.
Mid afternoon: black coffee.
Dinner: chicken, coconut and lemongrass stir fry followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola

(Cutting down my food a little this week to try to lose a little weight put on over Xmas :wideyed:)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m afraid I succumbed to a bought hot choc today.
In my defence I had just undergone the torture of a mammogram.
And the hot choc was while I was waiting for Mr B to return with the car.
It was absurdly sweet and not a patch on my homemade HC, but it felt appropriate at the time :happy:
cafes in doctors’ surgeries, with mobile breast cancer screening units set up in the car park, are a little mind boggling for me.

Anyway, cheesy mince this evening.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
07-01-2020
Breakfast 2X CWC, nut granola, 2 egg cheese omelette.
Lunch. slice of ham, 2 slices pain kapnor toast. Salad. Tea.
Got really hungry about 4pm
Half a dozen walnuts, tea.
Dinner. Roast chicken leg, 1 piece of roast potato. Roasted turnips, carrots. Braised leeks. Gravy.
Greek yoghurt and mixed berries. 2 glasses of wine.
Bedtime tea.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
It's vile here too. I was getting battered on the city bypass which is elevated and the rain the past 2 hours has been torrential. Hope it batters itself out before tomorrow morning when I have the school run. I noticed the cancelled ferries were on the news tonight. There seems to be more than a few stuck as a result. Having said that I wouldn't have much fancied being on one if it did sail!

No, the Minch is not the most comfortable bit of water in bad weather, so just as well no-one gets the chance to try it these days. Once upon a time the ferries would go out in the most awful conditions - perhaps the passengers were tougher in those days, or perhaps the ferries were more sea-worthy. I've never actually been seasick but the closest I ever came to it was on a ferry across the Minch, despite spending quite a lot of time at sea with my husband and being in some pretty bad conditions in various sea areas.

Reactions: maglil55

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

A bit late posting tonight -- long day at work.

@Chook -- Good to see you back and glad you've managed to get through the stressful time with family and funeral. I'm sure you're blood sugars will return to normal in a couple of days.
@Annb -- Glad there wasn't much wrong with the car. Btw, excellent blood sugars the other day.
@DJC3 and @maglil55 -- The consequences of cauli leaves/brussels sprouts eating dogs put a big smile on my face. It's easy to visualize (or should I say smellalize?).
@DJC3, @shelley262 and @Goonergal -- I have never had the original myself, guess it's a bit too late now, even though Sacher torte isn't particularly sweet based on what I've heard.

Here's the recipe for the Sacher torte:
Start with chocolate mousse, add a quarter of cup almond flour, bake at 175 degrees for around 30-45 minutes (done when toothpick comes out clean), let cool, cut into two or three layers, spread apricot jam on each layer (I found a version made with erythritol and 6g of carbs per 100g), put back together, cover with high cocoa content chocolate (I used 95% chocolate). Detailed recipe attached (including the one for chocolate mousse).

By the way, in the beginning it was a bit dry, but definitely improves with time.

Attachments

• Sacher torte.pdf
    49.1 KB · Views: 302
Last edited:

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fasting blood sugars back in the fours for the last few days (after about two to three weeks in the fives). It's seems that for me a bit higher carbs (30g instead of 20g or less) doesn't seem to make much of a difference, especially compared to overeating meat or calories in general. Guess it's true, we are all different.

Yesterday ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol. The pides were definitely smiling at me yesterday morning, so had one and half of the tomato-eggplant-beef ones and one of the spinach-onion-feta ones.

Lunch: Half a tub of chicken liver pate (60g) and a small slice of Sacher torte.

Dinner: A homemade bunless cheeseburger on a portobello mushroom with homemade mayonnaise and half an avocado. About half a bottle of very dry rose cava (leftover from New Year's Eve).

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol.

Lunch: A homemade bunless cheeseburger on a portobello mushroom with mayonnaise and half an avocado. Red cabbage cole slaw (American version -- i.e. dressing made with mayonnaise, cream, lemon juice and erythritol).

Dinner: (At New Year's reception at work) -- salad of lamb's lettuce, spinach, pine nuts and olive oil-vinegar dressing, a bit of cheese, some DD keto bread (which I brought along), half a glass of semi-dry sparkling wine (much too sweet for my personal taste now).

Later at home: About half of a spinach-onion-feta pide, a wiener sausage (chicken) with mustard, a small piece of Sacher torte, the last glass of the rose cava (couldn't let it go to waste, could I?)

Winnie-the-Pooh

Had a very bad day at work ( those days when nothing works and everything u do results in nothing and world collapse )

Had a slice of something made out of egg and veggies and cheese at work . Cannot remember the name but it looked like quiche with more cheese
Drink: black coffee and a very small amount of a coconut drink ( just to try it)

Lunch had the smallest lunch possible :
1- very tiny amount of fish ( baby size) with
2- one table spoon of mash potato
3- and a few slices of dried banana as dessert .

To my full surprise: It sent my BG to the roof ( 190 !!! It is always below 140 after means ) . I think 190 is equivalent to 10.5 . Im so sad .

Dinner : I was too sad and unhappy to think of an elaborate dinner !
I just had an egg , 4 mushrooms and some green leaves with a bit of Gouda cheese .

I’m so sad today . Bf gave me a teddy bear for holidays . I gonna go to be now and cuddle my teddy bear and wish I was still able to eat cream puffs

@DJC3 : mushrooms are my favorite food . Try them with a bit of pomegranate sauce. Yummy !