Illness and raised glucose levels

Pam R

I am suffering with a very heavy cold, sore throat and cough and my glucose levels are all over the place. Is this normal?

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Totally normal. Have you checked for ketones? Make sure you rest and have plenty of fluids.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Most definitely. I’ve had a high temperature and been feeling off over the weekend. Struggled to get BS into single figures.
Regular checks of BS and ketones is uppermost, fluid intake and rest.

WackyJacky64

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Yes , I;ve got bronchitis and my blood sugar is a bit high .It is normal .

MarkHaZ123

Very normal. Back in October when I had the flu I was lucky if my bloods were lower than 20 for about a week
I am suffering with a very heavy cold, sore throat and cough and my glucose levels are all over the place. Is this normal?

Shannon27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been the same over Christmas and New Year, now fighting to get them back under control as i'm mostly recovered. I was vomiting everything i ate from 23rd - 25th December, and i've had no appetite at all after that until New Year. Bloods are still high and i'm still coughing a bit but miles better than i was. I wouldn't worry too much about high bloods when you're ill, it is perfectly normal :) get well soon! Keep drinking lots of water and try plenty of vitamins - fresh orange, while very high in sugar generally helps me recover quickly :)

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people

Very normal. I had a cold just before xmas and was using twice the amount of insulin as normal and could hardly get my BG below 18. Lasted around 10 days

Pam R

Thanks to all of you for your very helpful responses! This is the first time that I have been unwell since being diagnosed with T1D and was a bit alarmed at my BG levels! Slowly recovering, I am glad to say!

Reactions: Antje77