Type 1'stars R Us

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello again friends, I just wanted to report that it’s been less than 20 days on my Dexcom and I’m feeling hypo tingles around 3.5 mmol/l mark. (Nothing dramatic like sweating or shaking though) A slight improvement that I am extremely happy about.

Reactions: Juicyj

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello again friends, I just wanted to report that it’s been less than 20 days on my Dexcom and I’m feeling hypo tingles around 3.5 mmol/l mark. (Nothing dramatic like sweating or shaking though) A slight improvement that I am extremely happy about.

That's fantastic news.

Do you feel the hypo, then check it out on the Dexcom, or do you see them on the Dexcom, then realise you have mild symptoms?

I'm positive both are great info, but it's interesting to try to understand what's actually going on, and I guess interesting feedback for your team.

Reactions: MeiChanski

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
morning all, i've been in target range for 24hrs (just!) although I think I'm about to ruin it by having a big fat bacon roll which seems really odd after working my way through a crowd of extinction rebellion protesters out side work - to come in and be greeted by a large tray of big fat bacon rolls going spare...........the devil in me thought it might be a good idea to go and offer them around out side :D (I'm not taking sides but it was delicious!)

Reactions: Juicyj

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Has much improved? Why has it been so frustrating? Is it basal rates are not quite right? Delivery insulin rates are too slow? I hope things work out soon for you :(
Thanks mei it has impoved a bit my basal needs are now higher than when on injections and insulin delivery does seem very slow

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning y'all
Bloods are being a PITA this morning, my Xdrip graph looks like a mountain range....

@karen8967 stick with it hun, it will take a while to sort out BUT it is sooooo worth it
thanks porl69 just sick of the highs but it is getting a bit better how long did it take you to settle x

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Morning chaps. Just got in from clinic. It was fun. Had quite an audience wanting to learn about Looping. Including one of the DSNs who is T1 herself and has asked me to help her get set up :) I’m invited to address the entire department when I have a free Wednesday morning, they’re all really into it :cat:

Everything tickety-boo with me, feet and bloods fine, HbA1c on a nice 37. Scored a shiny new glucose/ketone meter too.

Back to the revision....

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
thanks porl69 just sick of the highs but it is getting a bit better how long did it take you to settle x

Roughly around a month. I fiddled around with my setting for ages, my DSN said if I was confident enough to adjust basal settings etc then go for it....so I did lol

@LooperCat A1C of 37 is in the non diabetic range. BIG mahooosive well done, I know all the hard work you have put into getting your diabetes this good

Last edited:

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well that bacon roll didn't up set the apple cart I've been constantly sat around the 6.0 mark all morning, was thinking perhaps my sensor has gone rouge so checked against a finger prick and all is good! Strangely I also forgot to take my basal at the usual time whilst at work - perhaps my bolous was over the top and has kept me in range? but it was a big cob roll and guessed at about 35g carbs. Failing that I'm cured!

Mel can you come and talk to every diabetes clinic and show them the light???! Out of interest, but I know you do work hard at your control, would you say your good control is something like 50% down to you and 50% down to the loop? Have you thought about 'relaxing' you carb intake to see how well the loop copes?

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Mel can you come and talk to every diabetes clinic and show them the light???! Out of interest, but I know you do work hard at your control, would you say your good control is something like 50% down to you and 50% down to the loop? Have you thought about 'relaxing' you carb intake to see how well the loop copes?
Well, I’ve been looking at my results. The biggest improvement happened when I went low carb, got the HbA1c from 89-50 in just three months. I had the Libre about a month before, and had to drop it by 27 points to be able to keep it. You can see in my sig how my numbers have dropped. I have experimented with extra carbs, but they make me feel really sluggish, so although the loop coped quite well, I didn’t feel great. Because I might not get a meal break until 7-8 hours into a shift, I prefer to keep my IOB as low as possibly to minimise the risk of hypo. Some shifts can be very sedentary, others frantic. So while my HbA1c isn’t THAT much lower on loop, from around 40-42 to 35-37, I can mostly let it take care of business for me and barely give it a thought. It’s lightened the mental load significantly.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks mei it has impoved a bit my basal needs are now higher than when on injections and insulin delivery does seem very slow

Sending you hugs! I heard Omnipod is quite slow, I don’t know much about it but could you change the delivery speed ? Keep at it

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello friends,
A bit of a steady slow high reading this morning 9.3 to start and slowly crept up to 10.5 then 11.2. I may have accidentally did a small rage bolus and landed in good range, then hypoed before dinner. So here I am with slightly blurry vision.

Reactions: karen8967

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Sending you hugs! I heard Omnipod is quite slow, I don’t know much about it but could you change the delivery speed ? Keep at it
It clicks in 1/20 (0.05) of a unit every second. So it can take a couple of minutes if you’re doing a massive dose, but that gives it time to soak in rather than flooding up the sides of the cannula and leaking out.

Reactions: MeiChanski

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It clicks in 1/20 (0.05) of a unit every second. So it can take a couple of minutes if you’re doing a massive dose, but that gives it time to soak in rather than flooding up the sides of the cannula and leaking out.

That changes everything, could it be too slow for some people? Do you know if that implies to tubes pumps?

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
That changes everything, could it be too slow for some people? Do you know if that implies to tubes pumps?
I know nothing about tubey pumps, I’m afraid. But it would make sense. Why would that be too slow? The stuff takes over an hour to work. So a couple of minutes to shove it in is negligible in that timeframe.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know nothing about tubey pumps, I’m afraid. But it would make sense. Why would that be too slow? The stuff takes over an hour to work. So a couple of minutes to shove it in is negligible in that timeframe.

I’ve only just begun reading up on delivery speeds and what you are saying does make sense. Sorry if I seem clueless.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I’ve only just begun reading up on delivery speeds and what you are saying does make sense. Sorry if I seem clueless.
A pump cannula is quite wide (maybe 0.7mm?) compared to a pen needle and is in your flesh for three days at a time. If you put too much fluid through it too quickly, we can get “tunnelling”, where the insulin seeps up the sides of the cannula and appears on the surface - making it impossible to know just how much has gone in. By feeding it gradually subcutaneously into the interstitial fluid, you get the full dose.

CranberryIce

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well, I’ve been looking at my results. The biggest improvement happened when I went low carb, got the HbA1c from 89-50 in just three months. I had the Libre about a month before, and had to drop it by 27 points to be able to keep it. You can see in my sig how my numbers have dropped. I have experimented with extra carbs, but they make me feel really sluggish, so although the loop coped quite well, I didn’t feel great. Because I might not get a meal break until 7-8 hours into a shift, I prefer to keep my IOB as low as possibly to minimise the risk of hypo. Some shifts can be very sedentary, others frantic. So while my HbA1c isn’t THAT much lower on loop, from around 40-42 to 35-37, I can mostly let it take care of business for me and barely give it a thought. It’s lightened the mental load significantly.

Well done!!x

Reactions: Robinredbreast