What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

D

Deleted member 308541

We have just done our online shopping, we got everything we needed except my Spudlites as they are out of stock. The reason is most probably the bushfires interrupting supplies from the Zarella Farms in South Australia.

I have a couple bags still in the fridge so they will be rationed out, I will just have to eat more real meat to fill up on.

We got a few tins of spuds that are lowish in carbs, just in case...

https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/productdetails/373818/woolworths-potato-whole

mouseee

Evening...
Had a pear for breakfast. Tested and no rise in BG. Thoughts? Is that likely? I'll try another tomorrow. I really miss fruit it turns out!

Lunch
Oompf with mixed veg and a bit of cheese.

Dinner
Ribs with roasted veg

Caved and had a slice of Christmas cake.

Husband has maintained a fairly low carb diet this week but with masses of fruit. As this is a huge improvement on his diet of dominoes and icecream I'll wean him off later if needs be!
Hes also lost 8 lbs!

Quinn1066

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening...
Had a pear for breakfast. Tested and no rise in BG. Thoughts? Is that likely? I'll try another tomorrow. I really miss fruit it turns out!

Lunch
Oompf with mixed veg and a bit of cheese.

Dinner
Ribs with roasted veg

Caved and had a slice of Christmas cake.

Husband has maintained a fairly low carb diet this week but with masses of fruit. As this is a huge improvement on his diet of dominoes and icecream I'll wean him off later if needs be!
Hes also lost 8 lbs!
Pears are pretty low GI at 38, and have a bit of fibre. I would have paired it with some nut butter to be safe, but if you can cope with just a plain pear then yay for you.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

@DJC3 -- hope you are feeling a bit better. Best wishes for tomorrow.
@Chook -- Chocolate mousse is quite easy. Separate the yolks of 6 eggs from the egg whites. Beat yolks with half a cup of sweetener (I use erythritol), whip the egg whites with a pinch of salt. Melt 125g of butter on low temperature, add 100g of high cocoa content chocolate (you can also replace the chocolate with cocoa powder instead), let it cool a bit and then carefully mix with egg yolks, once blended, fold the mixture into whipped egg whites while trying to preserve as much volume as possible.
@Winnie-the-Pooh -- Thanks for the yum, yum, yum.
@maglil55 -- the buffalo chicken looks delicious, same goes for the carrot cake, @Rachox.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Kind of hungry most of the day, so kept grazing.

Today's food ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol. Half a pide with spinach, onion and feta. A chicken wiener.

Snack: A smallish piece of Sacher torte.

Lunch: Half a DD keto roll with butter and bresaola. American style red cabbage slaw.

Dinner: Chicken liver pate (120g), two packages of chicken cracklings, about 20 macadamias.

Last edited:

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
08-01-2020
FBG 6.1 but came down after an hour so had small breakfast.
CWC x2 nut granola.
Lunch one slice toast ham, salad. Added mayonnaise and c heese to make it more filling. Sadly had bought the wrong mayo. Strong mustard flavour surprise. Tea.
Dinner. MrSlim worked late so meal pushed back as well.
Chicken leg. Cauliflower and brocolli, carrots and leeks. Gravy. Then a piece of French cheesecake. Much lighter and less sweet than British version, with no biscuit base, means it just squeaks into allowable foods at 28g per slice.
2 glasses of San blanc
Bedtime tea. Managed only one round of remedial exercises but after a week can now hold the two most uncomfortable for five times a count of five. Improvement from 3 @ 3 seconds.
Have also noticed slight increase in range of movement.
Building work is moving on really well now. The upstairs spaces are insulated and have ceilings. The replacement windows are in. Rooms have been marked out and construction of walls has started. It's all very exciting.
My daughter phoned. She plans to visit in the summer. We will need three bedrooms for her family. Crack on guys.

Winnie-the-Pooh

If the egg/veggie thing wasn't made by you it's possible there could be something carby in it. Also mash and banana are two things that would send my BGs shooting up. I find berries are a better choice. Do you test to see the effect of various foods?

That makes sense . Yes my GCM tells me how i react to food but I need to eat each item I’m suspecting about alone . Today I was better .

Winnie-the-Pooh

Today :

Breakfast: Half an egg with one spoon of beans and pieces of cheese for breakfast - and black coffee

Lunch : 2 small pieces of steak , some veggies

Snack : a string cheese

Dinner plan : will have sausage and green leaves .
Dessert: raspberry

Alternative plan: Might bbq my teddy bear and eat him (joking but he is too cute so I’m tempted )

Edited typo

aard

Heres my confessional of my abject failure of low carb diet,

breakfast: half tin peaches(no juice), bacon(no nitrates), wholemeal bread and jam(not of to s good star)

lunch: pork loin and carrots. yeah no potatoes

bored at work: bottle coke and big packet of crisps ( all downhill from here)

still bored: 2 apple and a pear.

dinner: 2 bacon steaks & salad

snacks: peppermint tea instead of milk&tea (small victory)

just before bed: half a packet of bourbon biscuits, brought on by depression from watching youtube diabetes vids

Tomorrow will succeed.....

Winnie-the-Pooh

Heres my confessional of my abject failure of low carb diet,

breakfast: half tin peaches(no juice), bacon(no nitrates), wholemeal bread and jam(not of to s good star)

lunch: pork loin and carrots. yeah no potatoes

bored at work: bottle coke and big packet of crisps ( all downhill from here)

still bored: 2 apple and a pear.

dinner: 2 bacon steaks & salad

snacks: peppermint tea instead of milk&tea (small victory)

just before bed: half a packet of bourbon biscuits, brought on by depression from watching youtube diabetes vids

Tomorrow will succeed.....

We all have those days . Even my Endocrinologist told me : “let yourself to enjoy every once in a while ( like a bday or festival or when u feel u emotionally need it . It’s ok as long as it does not happen too often)” .
So when I have those days that I crave something bad, I don’t regret it . Instead I enjoy it and try to be good the next days or weeks .

What I find annoying most is when I accidentally eat something that is meant to be healthy and low carb / low sugar but it’s not . Then I feel I’m cheated out of my potential cream puffs - because I could have otherwise eaten a cream puff, which is my ultimate life goal :p

If I get bored at work or tired or overwhelmed or just need a break , I often have a lemon tea or nuts or cheese or keto snacks ( ***** bears with no sugar and no carb ). Or I just go and talk to a colleague about some random idea or go for a walk around campus . Worst case , I txt my bf a really scary vampire picture and he pretends that he is so scared so I feel good and go back to work .

Reactions: Chook and ziggy_w

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks all, much appreciated, he bought gluten free Knorr it’s 0.6 g carbs per cube and tasted wonderful. Might have a warm bath and another mug in a bit. Pain is lessening.
Mr C is happy I’m tucked up in bed as there is only 1 chair downstairs now and we were ‘discussing’ on the way up how we would decide who sat in it.
Bg before stock drink was 6.9 blimey!

DJC3 - bearing in mind it seems you have a big appointment (today?), you've likely also been seeing some stress impact on both your bloods, and maybe a little on the tum too?

Stress is vile, and not always possible to control, in an acute phase.

Huge best wishes for your appointment.

On a lighter side, when I moved into one house, I had been camping out with friends for a while, pending "big work" being completed. Typically it took longer than anticipated, and I ended up moving in with a deckchair, and bed, with a few boxes out of storage, and the companionship of a cement mixer in the living room.

That cement mixer was a decent listener and knew all y frustrations - only one of which was it.

(All before the days of MrB.)

Quinn1066

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Today 09/01/2020
Breakfast: 45g rolled oats, 4 blackberries (38g), 50g full fat greek yoghurt, 22g protein peanut butter
Lunch: 91g sprouted bread (1 and a half slices, I need to slice it myself), 40g hummus, 158g raw tomato, 48g 50% reduced fat cheese, 80g pepperberry sauerkraut
Dinner: Stir fry that I divided into three, water sauteed vegetables with a bit of lemon pepper seasoning salt consisted of mushrooms, carrot, snowpeas, green capsicum and onion. With two boiled eggs and an egg white. Lets see how my stomach goes, it's improving and eggs are a nice protein source, I still can't stomach meat.

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
Today 08/01/2020
Breakfast: 45g rolled oats, 60g full fat greek yoghurt
Lunch: Two white corn tortillas, 100g kimchi, 40g classic hummus, 111g peeled cucumber, 67g spicy tofu (the last slice)
Dinner: 189g carrot cabbage slaw, 167g butternut squash, 50g kalmata olives, 130g roast salmon

course of tablets for thrush ran it's course, didn't clear it up completely, but the tablets and coming off keto did a number on my digestive system, and general well being, starting to feel much better today. Still using peppermint tea and ginger and lemon tea but tummy is behaving much better. I think I developed an intolerance for eggs after using so many of them while doing keto, not uncommon from anecdotal evidence, as I never ate a lot of them before. Can still cope with diary thank goodness, and beans don't seem to be a problem. Went and purchased some fresh blackberries and planning to try to see how they go on my porridge tomorrow. Also purchased some sprouted sunflower kernels and sprouted khorasan grain sourdough bread to try. Lets see if I can have vegemite, tomato and cheese on a slice of toast, it was always a favorite growing up. When I was first diagnosed and hot my A1C down to 30, I was still eating rye bread with hummus and tofurky slices. So lets see what this sprouted bread does. Linky for those interested, but by god it's expensive, $12 Australian dollars a loaf. Will test more specifically in a fortnight when I get a blood glucose monitor, but for now just going from what I ate right after diagnoses, till about 6 months ago. https://purelifebakery.com.au/product/sunflower-sourdough/
I've heard about sprouted bread but agree at $12 a loaf never brought it.I'll be interested in how you find it.

Reactions: Quinn1066

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not much makes me laugh out loud but that did! :joyful::joyful::joyful:

I was just amazed what I could learn to live with for a while. The other "special feature" was a wall mounted gas fire that looked too similar for comfort, like a dalek .

I could not decide what I wanted to do (aside be rid of it), so ended up accepting I'd not rush the job.

Several months, yes, months, visitors would end up transfixed by it if the called. I had just learned to ignore it. They were undoubtedly questioning what on earth I saw as attractiveness with the thing.

It is now very, very long gone.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
After a night with torrential rain we've had a beautiful sunny morning and now at 2pm the sky has gone such a dark grey that it seems almost dark. Very strange.

I'm just getting over having a teary moment after watching an item on the BBC news at lunchtime - someone decided the best way to get rid of their dog was by tying it to a rock by the side of a river where (I think) they thought it would drown. Thank goodness a couple of dog walkers noticed and saved her. Absolutely horrible.

My BGs are getting better - last night's bedtime test was 7.2 and this morning's FBG was 7.3 - better than yesterday's 9.1! Getting there... VERY slowly... but getting there. I've got my annual blood test for HbA1c and other stuff early next week but I doubt I'll have a low result this time like I have before. No doubt the DN will try to talk me in using insulin (again) and taking statins (which happens every time and every time I refuse). That is, of course, if it is a DN or not just the cleaner like it was last time. (I call her the cleaner because she didn't know anything about diabetes and just kept clicking things off on her computer screen - every time I asked her a question she told me to make an appointment with the doctor :banghead:)

Today's food was/will be:

B: Mozzarella chaffle with a heaped teaspoon of almond butter
L: The last of the Christmas dolce gorgonzola with a few cherry tomatoes and cucumber slices
D: Not 100% sure yet but most likely to be something light like a 2 x egg mayonnaise salad with cress and a few salad veggies. I'm finding that I'm just not feeling hungry in the evenings.

Drinks: 2 huge mugs of black decaff coffee, diet caffeine free Pepsi with meds, plenty of water and maybe a glass or two of carb free lime tonic.

@maglil55 - so how many eggs did you order for your first week of DD? Not 4 dozen like last time, I hope? :dead: I must try to find that old thread - every time I think about it I don't understand why I ordered so much cabbage for just one week - I can't believe I ever thought I would be able to eat it all. In fact its pretty much put me off (green) cabbage - we only have it if Mr C requests it now (which is rare). @Brunneria - do you remember this?? :wacky:

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I was just amazed what I could learn to live with for a while. The other "special feature" was a wall mounted gas fire that looked too similar for comfort, like a dalek .

I could not decide what I wanted to do (aside be rid of it), so ended up accepting I'd not rush the job.

Several months, yes, months, visitors would end up transfixed by it if the called. I had just learned to ignore it. They were undoubtedly questioning what on earth I saw as attractiveness with the thing.

It is now very, very long gone.

I've had to live in building sites three times - twice without working kitchens for six months or more. I think back and wonder why on earth I was thinkinig to do something so daft when my daughter was just two years old the first time and 7 years old the second time! The first one I moved in to in a November and none of the windows fitted and no loft insulation so it was absolutely freezing. I had those dalek like calor gas heaters everywhere and the windows ran with condensation. Its amazing how quickly I forgot about the hardships and did it all over again - and then again many years later. The second time I managed to get the cooker fitted on Christmas Eve which was a relief as I had been having nightmares about having to BBQ the turkey.

Reactions: maglil55