Calculating your I:C ratio

neilSavage

Is this something you have to work out for yourself, using a trial and error approach? I was diagnosed 7 months ago and taking Levemir and NovoRapid. I think my initial intake was calculated by pulling a number out of a hat, but 7 months on I am taking;
Levimer 15 on morning and 13 on evening.
I have found that with the NovoRapid, if I take 15 units before each of the three meals daily, I manage to keep my levels between 6 and 10.
However, I am certain this is absolutely Not the way to be working it out.
Can anyone offer any advice as the medics are not helping me much at all, they suggested 1 unit of NR to 10g carbs, and I know that would send me into a hyper.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Keep a detailed blood sugar and food diary with carbs for every meal.

How confident are you that your basal (Levemir) is correct? That needs to be right before you can calculate your ratios (both correction doses and insulin for carbs.)

My clinic usually give me revised figures after I've kept a food diary for a week, but it's not rocket science and I reckon I could work it out myself. Be aware that ratios can vary by time of day, and are also influenced by exercise and illness.

The 1 unit per 10g ratio is a fairly typical starting guess, but individual ratios vary widely so you're best working out your own ratio as soon as possible. And if you're T1/LADA you're probably still in a honeymoon phase so your insulin needs may well go up. Personally I'm slightly insulin resistant so I need 1 unit per 3g carb.

Good luck.

Reactions: Marie 2

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
That sounds like a set dose of insulin with each meal? You really want to learn to carb count and adjust the amount given at meals. That is why you are asking?

Not sure about NR insulin, it is hard to take and adjust because it works over a longer time frame and can be more variable. I am more familiar with Novorapid, humalog, novalog etc. So this is in relation to those not NR insulin.

It really is trial and error. You are given a starting point and you kind of go from there as we can be so different. Some people are 1 unit per 3 carbs and some are 1 unit per 20 carbs. Plus since you are fairly newly diagnosed you are usually in what is called a honeymoon period where you still make insulin sometimes for a few years until you don't. That makes it more complicated.

Start carb counting your meals and that way you can compare the carbs eaten with the 15 units you take and that will give you an idea of how much you need. So if you are eating 45 carbs and you are taking 15 units, that is 1 unit per 3 carbs. If that makes you fall in the right range that is what you need. But if you are eating 75 carbs and taking 15 units that is 1 unit per 5 carbs. So start carb counting and seeing how the 15 units of Novorapid in relation to the carbs you are eating are doing.

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
All very good advice above @neilSavage . There are so many variables in the equation, I often feel it's like shooting arrows at a moving target on a windy day.
If you want some very comprehensive information and help about managing diabetes with insulin get a copy of "Think Like a Pancreas by Gary Scheiner" - It's available in print and as a Kindle edition and I found it tremendously informative. One suggestion in the book is to keep a written log ( there's even a link to a log you can print) and I've been keeping a log for the past several months and have found that it really does help me.

neilSavage

Thanks for all of the advice, I totally agree with the moving target comment, and I guess the real issue that I cannot get my head around is two days can start out the same, same carb intake at breakfast, same Novo Rapid injection, yet by lunch time, my blood reading on day 1 can be totally different to day 2. Seeing a diabetic dietician soon so maybe they can offer some direct advice based around my individuality.
Thanks again everyone.