Thank you for posting this.
Fascinating reading.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for posting this. It's nice to know that what most of us already knew to be true has at last been officially recognised.

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Nothing new but nice to see that proper studies show a significant effect of the low carb diet. Is it too much to hope that the NHS will now change their advice to newly diagnosed diabetics?

Reactions: OrsonKartt

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
I read it all (except for the references) and can only see positive statements about Low and Very Low Carb ways Of Eating.

I'm unsure how influential X-Pert is, but this would still seem like a huge step in the right direction.

It mentions Low Carb for treatment of Pre-Diabetes, of Hypertension and of Obesity.

pete254

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
http://www.xperthealth.org.uk/Portals/0/Low Carb Position Statement 2020 (FINAL).pdf

Issued this week supporting low carb, based on the current evidence.

Thanks for the link @HSSS.

My favourite snippet was:

A 2019 consensus report from the ADA concluded that “a variety of eating patterns are acceptable for the management of diabetes” supporting the need to individualise approaches112. In relation to carbohydrate restriction specifically, this report acknowledges: Glucose requirements can be met by the body’s metabolic processes, thus there is no lower limit of necessary carbohydrate intake

About time!

Reactions: Flora123

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I haven't read the link yet, but bearing in mind how well informed Trudy Deakin is, I imagine it to be a pretty robust piece.

I am particularly interested because X-pert has a T2 diabetes education programme, currently subscribed to by a number of CCGs.

Not too many CCGs write their own programmes, most buy licenses from organisations like of X-pert and DESMOND. Once a CCG chooses their provider, if the provider updates their content, such as might happen on X-pert, I'm not altogether clear what the CCGs do about adopting said new content.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Not too many CCGs write their own programmes, most buy licenses from organisations like of X-pert and DESMOND. Once a CCG chooses their provider, if the provider updates their content, such as might happen on X-pert, I'm not altogether clear what the CCGs do about adopting said new content.

One problem is that X-pert often does not control the staff who run the courses and if the CCG chooses a nurse with a "eatwell plate mindset", it can totally undermine any lowcarb message X-pert try to include.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
One problem is that X-pert often does not control the staff who run the courses and if the CCG chooses a nurse with a "eatwell plate mindset", it can totally undermine any lowcarb message X-pert try to include.

I guess that depends on whom the educators are employed by. Some CCGs buy the use of content, but deliver it themselves, and other buy the course, delivered by staff from the course owners.

It's all a bit miss-mash.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It is one of the reasons I would love to see two weeks of freestyle libre use at the start and end of the course. As it will be very hard for educators to ignore the BG traces that they are leading the discussion about.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Good to see a robust analysis, especially as it points out that some of the 'inconclusive' research fails to address that fact that when low carb leads to reductions in medications just comparing the HbA1c of two groups is very misleading.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I read it all (except for the references) and can only see positive statements about Low and Very Low Carb ways Of Eating.

I'm unsure how influential X-Pert is, but this would still seem like a huge step in the right direction.

It mentions Low Carb for treatment of Pre-Diabetes, of Hypertension and of Obesity.
Dr Trudy Deakin started X pert (it is a charity running diabetes education courses and has some contracts across the country and also sells training to be able to run franchised courses). She has spoken at Low Carb events but her courses do try to honestly discuss the options such as low fat presumably because they need to be 'balanced' to win NHS contracts.
I think they also run type 1, pre diab and obesity courses from memory.

Hooty

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m so pleased to read this. My Dad was diagnosed with prediabetes a year ago, shortly before me. While I’ve adopted a low carb diet and have brought my HbA1c down below the prediabetic range, he’s made very minimal changes and this week has found out he is now diabetic. He told me he’s going on a course, and my heart sank in case it was one that pushed the Eatwell regime, but today I found out it’s the X-pert course, so I am really relieved. It starts on Monday, so hopefully he’ll take on board the information and be ready to accept the advice.