Statins

richf

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
rainy days
My last annual review at the doctors was almost a year ago and I was told everything was normal - whatever normal is. Unfortunately I didn't pursue the "normal" as I was pleased at the time of the results.
I did ask to see the doctor about my statins and the insomnia. I did spend quite a while in the forces and generally adapted to sleep anywhere, I reckon I could have slept on a washing line. However the advice I got was to take the medication when I got up in the morning instead. Initially it did seem to work but now it is, as it was. Apart from that I am getting thigh and knee pain and also in my upper arms.
So when I go for my annual review tests, and reading about possible detrimental effects of the statins I think i will advise them I will no longer be taking them. I also read on the data sheet that they should be avoided if taking medication for under active thyroid.
I know I have been off the wagon for a while and have a little extra weight, but generally 2 hours after eating my levels are averaging 6.6. Tomorrow I am restarting my LCHF diet.
I would appreciate any advice re stopping the statins, if you can just stop or do you have to reduce them over a period of time.
Thank you.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Whilst we can't actually advise on medication, my view is that statins can raise blood glucose. Unless you have had a cardiac event, I don't think the side effects are worth the risk (personally).

Nor am I happy about the kickback that surgeries get for prescribing them,

Reactions: Gannet

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi richf
Do your homework and make a decision that’s right for you. I choose to decline statins. @bulkbiker posted a thread that may be of interest to you about cholesterol and stains, I can’t locate it unfortunately but I’ve tagged him in so hopefully he’ll respond with a link for you.
Bottom line is your Dr is there to advise not dictate to you. The ultimate decision about meds is yours and yours alone.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Reactions: Bluetit1802

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
My last annual review at the doctors was almost a year ago and I was told everything was normal - whatever normal is. Unfortunately I didn't pursue the "normal" as I was pleased at the time of the results.
I did ask to see the doctor about my statins and the insomnia. I did spend quite a while in the forces and generally adapted to sleep anywhere, I reckon I could have slept on a washing line. However the advice I got was to take the medication when I got up in the morning instead. Initially it did seem to work but now it is, as it was. Apart from that I am getting thigh and knee pain and also in my upper arms.
So when I go for my annual review tests, and reading about possible detrimental effects of the statins I think i will advise them I will no longer be taking them. I also read on the data sheet that they should be avoided if taking medication for under active thyroid.
I know I have been off the wagon for a while and have a little extra weight, but generally 2 hours after eating my levels are averaging 6.6. Tomorrow I am restarting my LCHF diet.
I would appreciate any advice re stopping the statins, if you can just stop or do you have to reduce them over a period of time.
Thank you.

It's entirely up to you. The decision rests in your hands, no one can force you to take them.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I declined the offer of statins by my GP he just said that not everyone gets side effects !!!
My cholesterol levels came down when I upped my good fats and lowered my carbs
Carol

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Statins should only be prescribed if your lipids ratios are bad and/or you have a family history of cardio issues. It's your decision not the GPs.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would add that with familial hypercholesterolemia, it was a decision taken with much reluctance to agree to statins. With many of the older generation of my family, (both mums and dads sides) having heart attacks in their 40s I didn’t want to be adding to the early cardiac statistics. Ihave made it to mid 60s without, so far, having heart or circulation problems, though I have had high blood pressure since my first pregnancy over 40 years ago.

I would not have considered statins just because I am a certain age, and have diabetes, but with family history, and blood tests showing I had the same trait, I took the chance when offered 20 years ago. Would add though, that I became diabetic 4 years after starting statins.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Recovery from statin side effects (the aches you mention, assuming that they are actually caused by the statins) may be helped by taking good quality Q10 supplements.

Actually, the side effects can sometimes be prevented by taking the Q10 alongside the statins from the start, but they are quite expensive, and would increase the cost of statin therapy, so it doesn’t happen.

https://www.healthline.com/health/coq10-and-statins#benefits

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I started to feel more like myself after stopping statins in around a fortnight. I was told they increased BS level in everyone, and could cause type 2 diabetes in some people, but as a type 1 already on insulin, it was possible I would require slightly more insulin. It has always been known that they increase blood sugar levels.

I agree with everyone else. Just stop them, no need to taper the dose off. It may take a bit of time, weeks perhaps, for the aches and pains to wear off - but when it happened for me, it was like turning off a switch it was so abrupt. Good luck with your doctor. Some of them are just a pain to deal with !

richf

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
rainy days
Thank you all for your informative replies,
I find them all very helpful.
It was encouraging to get positive replies and wasn't really sure if I could safely just stop or have to gradually reduce them. I am going to view and read the info at the link from @Bluetit1802, Already I feel more confident having made my decision to cease taking the statins. It was also comforting that no one has the view that they should be continued.
Thanks once again.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Most of the aches and pains I experienced when taking Metformin and Atorvastatin went away fairly fast, but the loss of memory took longer - I am only just beginning to sing without the words again and that is three years, but I had to relearn over 300 songs. Fortunately I had begun to write them down and had already made a fairly comprehensive index.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I was told by a consultant that it would take three years to fully recover from the statin damage - but it actually took double that. I was only on them for 26 days

edited to add: I was very lucky that it was only my muscles that were damaged and my memory wasn't affected. My resting heart rate still hasn't gone back to normal - not sure if it ever will now.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
My hba1c rose from 48 to 54 whilst I was on statins for approx 6 months. When I came off them, with my GPs’ consent, due to other side effects such as sudden dizziness and sleep problems my Hba1c dropped to 43 within 5 months and has remained at non diabetic levels for approx 7 years. I have now had Statin intolerant put on my notes as neither my GP or me want to take the risk of these side effects again.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It was also comforting that no one has the view that they should be continued
I would agree, to some extent, unless there is history of familial hypercholesterolemia, and / or you also have cardiac event history / circulation issues. Even then, though it is debatable what, if any, benefit statins would be.

richf

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
rainy days
The more I have researched statins, the more scary I find their effects. However, today is the first day of the rest of my life without statins. Feeling very confident about it especially with the moral support received here.

richf

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
rainy days
Just an update, it is only 4 or 5 days that I have stopped taking the statins and already I am sleeping better and my muscle pain has lessened too!

Martinjd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Good news richf, I’ve been taking 80mg of atorvastatin daily for two years now following a heart attack and having three stents fitted.
I have the same problems as you with muscle pain and insomnia so might talk to my GP

Vic Man

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve been T1 diabetic for over 30 years now with reasonable control. I’ve just had an appointment with a consultant who diagnosed me with preriferal artery disease, he was very matter of fact and was talking to the trainee doctor rather than me. I’m a little unsure if his diagnosis as I have none of the symptoms?
He prescribed 75mg aspirin and statins. I’m very reluctant to take the statins especially if they’re going to create other issues?