Is this too many carbs?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow you are all so helpful! Thank you!
I don't know what my bloods were before my breakfast as I hadn't found my meter. I have no real idea what the numbers should be or what a big or little rise is. When I found out I was diabetic it was via letter and once I got over the shock, I was in denile for a bit then eventually saw a diabetic nurse. She said I didn't need medication (not the same nurse as now) and if I ate healthy and lost weight it should reverse and she sent me on my way. I was only called in once I was pregnant and had to have insulin. I did my bloods and the machine told me how much insulin to take. I was told to stop after I gave birth. So I really don't know what I'm doing!! All I know is, is that I don't want diabetes and I'd love to loose 3 stone before my wedding, I will be my pre kids weight (my eldest is 11!!).
The peanut butter is no added sugar and 97% peanuts, then oil and salt, so in terms of other peanut butters, it's better! I don't have it often though. Nicole, I like the advice of changing one meal at a time, it feels more manageable and the chia pudding sounds nice. I will also keep testing too. As with regards to the metformin I'm not sure if I should have it or not. I already take antidepressants and a beta blocker to prevent migraines... I don't want to rattle... Also taking medication is admitting I've done this to myself and I find it hard to do that. If anyone has advice on if it will help then I will greatfully listen. The diabetic nurse gave me a leaflet on a different medication when I voiced concerns on side effects although said she would prescribe metformin ‍. My argument was that I don't have side effects from my diabetes so why take medication that gives me side effects for a condition I don't have side effects for?! See I'm in denial But I'm so glad I've found this community, it feels like a weights been lifted
Ooh, a bunch of things to touch on right here... Let's see... For one thing, you didn't do this to yourself. It's a genetic predisposition, not something you contracted by doing something wrong. You gained weight because you are genetically inclined to develop diabetes: You have a problem processing carbs back out, so they get stored, as glucose, in fat cells... After a while those fats cells are full, and the glucose shows up elsewhere, like in your blood, urine, saliva, tears etc... That's when you're classed diabetic. T2 runs in my family and I have an ovarian cyst causing more insulin resistance. I did everything I could do lose weight. (Like following the dietician's advice, which was the exact opposite of what I needed: low fat, high carb... I ballooned.). So, nope, this isn't on you, no matter which way you turn it. I don't want to be a diabetic either. But I am, for life now, so I deal with it. Not like I have much choice. I was a T2 for years before diagnosis. My liver was so fatty they thought it was one big tumor, so rather than worry about the T2, I was led to believe I was going to die in a few more weeks anyway. That was not a pleasant time in my life. I was so fatigued all the time I could barely get out of bed. Tired to the point of pain, all the time. Eyesight wasn't all that either. Obese, morbidly. All of that went away when I got my blood sugars under control. Liver, fatigue, eyesight, weight, all fixed. You don't want to get to the point I was at. Life really wasn't worth living.

No side effects of the condition? Not that you've noticed, anyway. You don't actually see or feel damage to kidneys, arteries, heart, nerve endings, liver, eyes etc until the damage is already extensive. Blood sugars over 8,5 sand away at just about everything. See it as ground glass in your veins. If you do not feel like you have negative effects from T2 now, then, good...! This is the time to prevent further damage, before it does become noticeable.

Metformin, well, it really does depend... I responded badly to it, but then, I respond badly to most medication. And while met can help you with the glucose your liver dumps, it won't do anything at all about what you eat. So if you don't change your diet, the metformin won't fix that for you. So it's something you could try, if you want to. But if you do, do combine it with a change in diet, because it's not a cure-all, alas.

Excellent peanut butter by the way. (I loved the stuff, good on celery sticks, but alas, it was a migraine trigger. Think of me the next time you have some and enjoy it. ;)).

I still am surprised that some people get their diagnosis through a letter... It's a life changing diagnosis and not something to just dump onto someone in a formal bit of writing. It is a diagnosis that triggers grief, and yes, denial, and with no guidance at all right at the start, which is sadly insanely common.... I can imagine you must've felt rather abandoned and scared. Diabetes is scary enough as it is, after all.... It takes a while to get a grip on it. For me, it's the only condition I have a say in. The migraines, rheumatism, hypothyroidism and whatnot just do as they please, but my blood sugars I have some control over. That I can practically micro-manage. ;) As you learn about how to tackle this, it's quite possibly you'll gain some sense of control (dare I say, power?) too. And as you cut carbs and up fats, you'll see the weight drop right off of you.

Well, my migraine meds are finally kicking in so I can go back to bed and sleep a little now.... But I do hope you'll keep coming back with more questions. That's part of breaking through the denial. It's progress. You'll get there.
Hugs,
Jo

CADDICKD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
Through my Doctor's surgery in about September I was invited to join the NHS/University of Surrey program "Beat Diabetes". I started the OurPath program on 7th October 2019. I was sent a scale and activity tracker, recipe Book and instruction book. The program is a low carb diet and low sugar. lots of vegetables, plain or Greek yogurt. One meal a day should have no carbs at all. I have managed to loose 12KG+ and still going. I have reduced my insulin from 35units a day to 12.

This program has been really good.

Reactions: HSSS and Redshank

toncra1

Dislikes
NHS give completely wrong advice.
Hi, this is my first post. I'm frustrated as my diabetic nurse keeps trying to push medication on my but I want to do diet control but she offers no support. In September I started with a personal trainer 2 hours a week (I'm quite sedentary) and gave up dairy and overhauled my diet. The results come seeing my diabetic nurse last week was weighing more than last year (even though I'd lost 7lbs since Sept) and my blood sugar being higher. All she suggests is metformin. The heath care assistant says slimming world. I don't understand how a) I've only lost 7lbs when I've been working hard at making changes and b) my blood sugar has increased when I don't eat processed food any more. A typical day for me is: breakfast is my own mixture of oats, bran, almonds, rice flakes and seeds, 40g soaked in water over night then mixed with plain soya yogurt. Lunch is a mini tortilla wrap covered in eggs (2 or 3) mushrooms, caugettes, tomatoes and any veg in the fridge. Dinner is 60g of pasta or rice or 3 new potatoes with lean meat and lots of veg. Sometimes as a snack I will have an apple or orange. A banana before an early morning workout. Is this too many carbs? I don't test my blood either, should I do that? I'm so confused as to what I'm doing wrong. Can someone please help me? Thank you in advance x

Hi Vikki
Regarding your question.. Your breakfast is almost there, try mixing half teaspoonful of organic Ceylon cinnamon, a full fat Greek plain yoghurt and leave out the rice flakes.. (Cinnamon assists insulin, rice flakes are quite high in carbs)
Lunch, tortilla wraps are also quite high in carbs try leaving it out.
Dinner... Pasta, rice, potato bread, are all no no`s (in fact anything with white or brown flour is bad news for diabetics, causes a glucose rush.)
I know it seems harsh but you will still get a fair amount of carbs from the veg and fruit you have. Drink plenty of water every day.
You will quickly get your HbA1c into the normal range...
I was diagnosed in 2013 and have been well under HbA1c of 41 on every test... I cheat a bit these days and still keep within the normal range, but I don`t push it.
Good Luck you will be ok... by the way my exercise is a good half hour walk daily, seems to be adequate.

Toncra1

Bindo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Try diabetes uk book cals&carbs. It's my bible. Excellent book. Pictures of portion sizes of all types of food. Invaluable . Good luck

Attachments

• 51poh4YkgkL._SCLZZZZZZZ__US284_.jpg
    51poh4YkgkL._SCLZZZZZZZ__US284_.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 298
Reactions: jjraak

srm100841

Hi, this is my first post. I'm frustrated as my diabetic nurse keeps trying to push medication on my but I want to do diet control but she offers no support. In September I started with a personal trainer 2 hours a week (I'm quite sedentary) and gave up dairy and overhauled my diet. The results come seeing my diabetic nurse last week was weighing more than last year (even though I'd lost 7lbs since Sept) and my blood sugar being higher. All she suggests is metformin. The heath care assistant says slimming world. I don't understand how a) I've only lost 7lbs when I've been working hard at making changes and b) my blood sugar has increased when I don't eat processed food any more. A typical day for me is: breakfast is my own mixture of oats, bran, almonds, rice flakes and seeds, 40g soaked in water over night then mixed with plain soya yogurt. Lunch is a mini tortilla wrap covered in eggs (2 or 3) mushrooms, caugettes, tomatoes and any veg in the fridge. Dinner is 60g of pasta or rice or 3 new potatoes with lean meat and lots of veg. Sometimes as a snack I will have an apple or orange. A banana before an early morning workout. Is this too many carbs? I don't test my blood either, should I do that? I'm so confused as to what I'm doing wrong. Can someone please help me? Thank you in advance x

Sorry to say this but it seems as though you're eating far too many carbs. I've been diagnosed as T2 since 2002 and have managed to keep my levels to annual averages of c6 by reducing carbs. This means plenty of dairy, banning oats/brans, rice, tortilla, potatoes, eating just small portions of apple or arrange and banning bananas. On your diet I would be sky high! Have a look at the low carb forum and try that for a while. A lot of your intake is so high in sugar that your levels will keep rising. I'm no doctor but a fellow victim and only low carb has helped me - not my nurse or doctor. Keep looking on the site. Good luck.

S

Reactions: Flora123

Ricky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have just about managed to stay below metformin level for about 17 years now but this is no potatoes, bread, rice, pasta, Breakfast is homemade muesli with large oats, nuts, seeds, a few goji berries, cocoa nibs, coconut shreds, wheat germ, chia - aim is high protein. It is my only carby meal of the day. Rule - I do not eat lunch until I am hungry and my meter says below 6. Unfortunately because of stress at the moment my fasting Blood sugar is often over 7 .
No snacking drink mostly green tea!!
Lunch always salad with cheese/pickled herring and always an avocado- high protein/low carb cracker or one of the low carb Atkins one. Best advice I was ever given was to eat fruit with a meal never on its own so I have a small piece of a couple of fruits each meal which is my carbs which I suppose I should give up.
Dinner is late as I do 2 high impact classes most evenings despite my age!! Tonight I had homemade green soup which would have contained lentils in which I put mushrooms (protein) in and some double cream when cooked. Often I have a load of spinach in a dish with 2 eggs on top sprinkled with grated cheese and microwaved for 3 mins. Pizza means a base of slices of grilled aubergine with olive oil topped with tasty tomato paste, thinly sliced onions, mushrooms, peppers, olives anchovies and cheese and popped under the grill to cook. I do well with meat/ fish and veg , usually broccoli and a piece of fruit. That is it . If I have to snack it will be nuts. If I am hungry before bed which tends to be in the early hours I will have a spoon of peanut butter straight from the jar with some marmite. I have no symptoms and loads of energy.
Hope this gives you some ideas.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome ,

I know I have come late to this thread but wondering how you are going.

It is a lot to take in and like @JoKalsbeek I am unpleasantly surprised to learn that you were given your diagnosis by letter. I had a phone call from my doctors surgery asking for an urgent appointment I took my husband as no urgent drs appointment is good news. It took me over 2 weeks to have a day when I didn't cry about it. It is totally normal to feel overwhelmed and to want to put your head in the sand.

I am on metformin- like you the thought of taking medication was really horrible- I thought that I had dome this to myself- I was a bad person who was being punished. Anyway- doing very low carb I have lost weight without really trying. I don't limit the fats I eat (so far) and I am so much less hungry than before. I too had tried every diet known tom and (except keto lol).

Take care of yourself, use your meter- it will give very clear guidance about how many carbs you can tolerate. Experiment a bit- some people can eat potatoes others can't. Our bodies are all slightly different.

Good luck and let us know how you are travelling.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I took my bloods 2 hours after my breakfast which was a piece of toast and healthy version of peanut butter and it was 12.5!!!!

Before lunch it was 7.8 and then just now it was 9.8!

For lunch I had 3 scrambled eggs and courgettes (fridge is a bit empty) I must say I'm starving but should my bloods be that high after just eggs?

I'm thinking I should go back to the diabetic nurse to chat about this but she's all about the meds .

another one late to game..:D

lots of great advise in above posts,

for the lunch, well done..spot on .

and as said the numbers will alter over days not minutes as the carb intake goes down and the stored glucose oozes out
as higher then expected BG, comparative to what you have eaten v expectation, and even that begins to stabilise over time.

I particularly liked @HSSS take on what is good & healthy for others..is NOT so good and healthy for US as T2's

a major factor in historically T2' being a progressive disease leading to major complications
because they ate as advised and THAT was clearly NOT the healthy option..

While we shouldn't HAVE to, we DO owe ourselves a duty of care to take greater notice of what the FACTS really are and make good informed judgements about what we CAN eat, based on data and experience of others who have the same disease and have proven a way that helps, NOT some shaky lab report or out dated dogma that is propagated by those who will NOT be effected IF that advise is wrong.

For me the LCHF aspect of this way of eating has shown measurable success for me and many others.
are there other routes you could take, yes, maybe, perhaps.
is the doctors advice or the Eatwell Plate one of them, hell NO.

Good luck on your journey.
the road is long, but oh so worth the trip.

This is what worked for my husband (fussy eater).
Breakfast: choice of bacon, egg, sausage with mushrooms, tomatoes, small amount of sugar/salt reduced baked beans or Greek yogurt based breakfast (100g) with berries and 10-15g no sugar granola or vegetable omelette.
Lunch: choice of apple, pear, cheese, peanut butter, lean ham, chicken, hard boiled egg, or soup with slice of Ryvita and reduced fat Philadelphia cream cheese
Dinner: portion of chicken, salmon, cod or other lean protein.. Plus half a plate of veg such as cabbage, cauliflower, sprouts, leeks, mushrooms, peppers, green beans and 1/8 plate swede, carrot, sweet potato. He only occasionally has brown rice or new potatoes. Basically fill your plate with veg and watch portions by weighing everything. No alcohol.
He has been T2 diabetic for 20 years and started this diet in January 2019. He has lost 3-4 stones in weight and his GP has taken him off some medication and reduced others as his blood sugars reduced. Until this eating pattern was established he used MyNetDiary to count calories. There are others but this one gives a breakdown of fat, protein and carbs. You just have to make up your mind to do it for yourself.

We1shbiker

Try cutting out rice, pasta, root veg, bread. .this lot are heavy in carbs. Too many nuts is fattening and don't forget muscle is heavier than fat

Reactions: JohnH2019

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Try cutting out rice, pasta, root veg, bread. .this lot are heavy in carbs. Too many nuts is fattening and don't forget muscle is heavier than fat
1ilb of muscle weights exactly the same as 1ib of fat, what is different is the volume, that's how your weight can stay the same but your measurements change, the muscle takes up less space than the fat

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Noisy dogs and loud music especially low-note drumming
I am not going to give you a detailed answer it would take too long and too many pages. My attention was drawn to your comment "Sometimes as a snack........" and would say for most of us a banana in any of the three condtions is not suitable for Diabetics - I learned this when I first joined here many years ago when I mentioned my breakfast comprised a banana and two Weetabix - some members fainted I think hahaha. BUT they were right - out went the banana and my sugar levels dropped. I have heard people say that they cannot eat one apple without their bloods skyrocketing on this Forum. But - the ORANGE has so many negative reports on Google and, again, for me I started to have headaches, nausea, wind and generally out of sorts that I am suspicious that it has any benefits for humans. A friend of mine (God rest his soul) found that his knees became has large as footballs on one orange - too much bullshine is written about the benefits of Vit C in my humble opinion. I think you are WRONG not to test your bloods - how on earth can you check which diet (or various foods) is/are best for you? It's ok for those that are so disciplined and successful with their sugar levels they have no need to test daily (not Insulin users I hasten to add)

Apulahra

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am type 1 so this isn't my story but I would question why you are against metformin per se? It is one of the better drugs and will help your liver to stop producing glucose quite so much which means you won't be releasing insulin so much (a good thing). Whilst I agree that your 'healthy' diet (low fat,high carb, healthy wholegrains etc.) evidently isn't working or you, it seems that your body has become more insulin resistant and perhaps your pancreas cannot keep up with the demand just now. Metformin plus a lower carb diet could really help you regain your metabolic health. Other diabetes drugs usually don't help reverse the condition and none of the drugs is as good as going low carb. One difficult mindset to change is the fear of gaining weight because this diet is about counting carbs not calories and is based on the theory that fat gain is due to the process of becoming diabetic and not the reverse. Therefore if you do the blood tests and 'eat to the meter' (finding you own personal limit) you will improve your blood sugars and as a consequence will lose fat as a side effect.
I think DietDoctor is a great place to start for education plus recipes. I am a busy mum too but have managed to go low carb over the last few years and have a stable weight with much less tummy! I did this by changing one meal at a time and breakfast is a great one to start with. Mine ranges from chia pudding through bacon,eggs, mushrooms, tomatoes at the local greasy spoon (hold the toast), coffee by itself or with a spoon of nut butter (not sure what healthy peanut butter is btw?!) or CarbKilla bar (low carb junk but sometimes a convenient meal is needed).
I have been type 2 for 4 years now and I take Metformin with no ill-effects. However, I now have high cholesterol and have been prescribed Atorvastatin. I’m not following low carb because I constantly experience gnawing hunger and just can’t cope with it. Now, I have to take fat intake into account which restricts my diet even more. At least I know that the metformin is keeping my blood sugar down.
Any dietary suggestions would be appreciated.

nettie 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

nettie 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi No wonder you are confused. You are not on the right "diet"
I have attached the diet that my diabetes dietician gave to me when I was first diagnosed. I hope it helps you
It is all about carbohydrate counting. The less carbs the better
I lost 18kg on it in the first year. I never went hungry although I had cravings. In time I managed to find substitutes fo satistfy me.
Good luck
Regards
Diana

Attachments

• diet plan_resized.jpg
    diet plan_resized.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 313
Reactions: VikkiB81

nettie 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for all your advice. I took my bloods 2 hours after my breakfast which was a piece of toast and healthy version of peanut butter and it was 12.5!!!! Before lunch it was 7.8 and then just now it was 9.8! For lunch I had 3 scrambled eggs and caugettes (fridge is a bit empty) I must say I'm starving but should my bloods be that high after just eggs? I'm thinking I should go back to the diabetic nurse to chat about this but she's all about the meds .
It was probably the toast. I have bran or weetbix for breakfast most days and 1 slice of low carb keto bread with eggs other days

nettie 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It does not spike my blood sugars
It is within the allowable range of carbs per meal.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
It does not spike my blood sugars
It is within the allowable range of carbs per meal.
The allowable amount of carbs is very individual, some of us can eat that much with a problem but others cannot. So many rephrase as 'the allowable amount for me'?
When I was first diagnosed and decided to go low carb instead of drugs I could not have eaten weetabix without spiking too high.