Easyjet hand luggage and insulin

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello everyone,
I'm going on holiday in a few weeks and will be flying with Easyjet. I'm a bit worried about their hand luggage rules, which state
Cabin space is limited and there’s only room for up to 70 cabin bags so the overhead lockers fill up quickly. All remaining cabin bags will be put into the hold and can be collected from the baggage carousel on arrival in the terminal.
How does this work with insulin etc? (I will also have pump supplies that I don't fancy misplacing!) Do they give you special dispensation and let you keep your bag with you? I haven't flown with Easyjet for many years so this is all new to me.
Any insight would be greatly appreciated :)

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
They tried it with me once, I just very loudly said “I have insulin in my bag” they let mine on so must have pulled someone else’s. Not sure how tough they are these days though so could be worth calling to see if you can arrange something?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello everyone,
I'm going on holiday in a few weeks and will be flying with Easyjet. I'm a bit worried about their hand luggage rules, which state
Cabin space is limited and there’s only room for up to 70 cabin bags so the overhead lockers fill up quickly. All remaining cabin bags will be put into the hold and can be collected from the baggage carousel on arrival in the terminal.
How does this work with insulin etc? (I will also have pump supplies that I don't fancy misplacing!) Do they give you special dispensation and let you keep your bag with you? I haven't flown with Easyjet for many years so this is all new to me.
Any insight would be greatly appreciated :)
Might be worth paying the extra for speedy boarding so you can get on first?

Reactions: sleepster
D

Deleted member 308541

I suppose you get what you pay for with Easyjet, we never had this problem with Qantaslink and Qantas over the holiday period...

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have just come back from Amsterdam on EasyJet the plane was filled to capacity but we all managed to get our trolley cases in the overhead lockers. As well as trolley cases in the overhead we had handbags which we kept with us in the seat. While we took off and again when we landed we were asked to put our handbags under the seat. I would suggest you take just a small bag with your insulin in which you should be able to keep with you in your seat

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You only get on the bus first that drives out to the plane first. Then it's the usual scrum to find your seat!
That depends if you have to get a bus to the plane. I have just been to Amsterdam with EasyJet and going from Gatwick we had to get a bus out to the plane but coming back from Amsterdam the plane was walking distance so no bus needed

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
@Tipetoo fortunately you don’t have the insulin worry either.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just get in contact and ask for an extra baggage allowance for medical gear. Do not know if EasyJet do that but Jet 2 do ( got a free extra allowance last month ) it’s worth a try.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I suppose you get what you pay for with Easyjet, we never had this problem with Qantaslink and Qantas over the holiday period...

I'm not sure 'you get what you pay for' works here. What you pay for is to get from A to B. If you have a disability then any airline should cater for it in an appropriate way no matter how 'cheap' your ticket. Or should people with disabilities be forced to pay top whack for an airline ticket simply because they have equipment that is keeping them alive with them?

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Ryanair and Easyjet sometimes 'forget' the EU laws about disability.
We can take meds and medical equipment as extra luggage.
I travel with a mobility scooter, drive myself to the door and they take it off to the hold from there - it travels for free and is not part of my allowance, and neither is the battery pack that goes inside the cabinn. A large bag of drugs plus a little low carb food also travels inside with me.

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for all the replies, I've got a few options there to consider :)

D

Deleted member 308541

@Tipetoo fortunately you don’t have the insulin worry either.
No, but I have heart medication that I need to take and which I had available on the three aircraft going to Geraldton in West Australia from Bundaberg recently.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I had my three COPD inhalers with me as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No, but I have heart medication that I need to take and which I had available on the three aircraft going to Geraldton in West Australia from Bundaberg recently.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I had my three COPD inhalers with me as well.

and you shouldn't have to pay for a more expensive flight simply in order to carry them with you in the cabin.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
I'm not sure 'you get what you pay for' works here. What you pay for is to get from A to B. If you have a disability then any airline should cater for it in an appropriate way no matter how 'cheap' your ticket. Or should people with disabilities be forced to pay top whack for an airline ticket simply because they have equipment that is keeping them alive with them?

There are many many exceptions to that rule

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ryanair and Easyjet sometimes 'forget' the EU laws about disability.
We can take meds and medical equipment as extra luggage.
I travel with a mobility scooter, drive myself to the door and they take it off to the hold from there - it travels for free and is not part of my allowance, and neither is the battery pack that goes inside the cabinn. A large bag of drugs plus a little low carb food also travels inside with me.

Neither of them forget it. The information is there on their websites but Ryanair's official policy rules them out of me ever flying with them again. It amounts to being allowed a medical bag on board if you contact them well in advance with a doctors letter detailing a list of what you need and being issued a 'waiver' by them.

Easyjet's is fine - you are allowed to take your stuff on board in a small bag in addition to hand luggage. Had no trouble with them at all.