My Mum has been diagnosed as Type 2, I’ve been Type 1 for 13 years.

kay2409

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi!

I’m just looking for some advice regarding Type 2 and using Diasticks!

My mum has just picked up her prescription of Diasticks, which has printed on it “Use as directed”. However there is no information given in how many times a day/ week etc she needs to use them. She’s currently on 500 mg of Metformin a day.

She has a doctors appointment in a fortnight but other than that she’s in the dark regarding what to do.

I’m trying to help as much as I can but Type 1 and Type 2 are quite different.

Thank you

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
She would be better off with a meter. Does she have weight to lose, would she consider changing to lchf?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd agree its worth her getting a meter and testing various meals (before eating and then 2 hours after first mouthful) to see the impact on blood glucose levels.
Do you happen to know her HbA1c on diagnosis?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi!

My mum has just picked up her prescription of Diasticks, which has printed on it “Use as directed”. However there is no information given in how many times a day/ week etc she needs to use them. She’s currently on 500 mg of Metformin a day.

She has a doctors appointment in a fortnight but other than that she’s in the dark regarding what to do.

Thank you

Hi,

Another advocate for getting a proper BG meter. I remember the T1 managment days of test tubes then pee sticks.
It is quite possible for you to help your mum immensely with support, being familiar yourself with how certain foods & drinks can affect us..

I wish you & yer mum all the best!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi!

Thank you

As others have said, Diasticks are rather a blunt measuring too.

When I was diagnosed, I too was given some Diasticks, but no matter how I'm fate nor I used them, I never saw sugar register. At that point my HbA1 was 73, so I clearely had an issue.

The reality is Diasticks only indicate glucose at a blood glucose level of around 10. Whilst she's trying to,get her numbers into a better place, it's not too likely she will find them too informative.

Without doubt, a meter would serve her much better.

kay2409

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you all for the advice! It’s greatly appreciated! We have already started with a change of diet/ portion sizes.

She was in a bit of shock when she was told so forgot what her HbA1c was.

I’ll hopefully be with her at her next appointment so can get more information then!

I’ve tried testing her with my meter which I use occasionally now (as I use a Freestyle Libre to monitor my levels) but was unable to draw blood from any of her fingers.

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I frequently have this problem when the weather is cold. HCPs tell you to run hot water on your hand, but that can result in running the hot tap on it , drying hand, trying to get blood, failing and returning to hot tap almost endlessly. I have found that a better answer can be making a hot drink and wrapping a hand around the mug for a short time. You can move your hand if it begins to feel uncomfortably hot and return it a few seconds later. Sometimes just resting the tips of your fingers against the hot mug for a few seconds at a time can do the trick.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Urine testing? But I thought that nothing below 10mmol/l would register - not much use for fine tuning the diet there.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have also found that it can be more difficult to get that drop of blood if I am even the slightest bit dehydrated- having a hot drink might fix a couple of issues. The other thing I find is that some of my fingers see a bit easier to get blood from- and for me they vary I have no idea why.

It will be good to get her first HbA1c as that will tell her her starting point.

Good luck- she is fortunate to have a supportive child who at least has some idea of carbs etc.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fair warning, this video is designed for tests requiring more blood than a simple blood glucose reading, however it is excellent for priming the fingers. https://monitormyhealth.org.uk/instructions

I have used MonitorMyHealth several times for thyroid testing (as generally, the NHS just doesn't do an adequate panel) and find their service excellent.

I have no relationship with them, except as a satisfied customer.