Is it normal to lose weight???

BAZZA_P

Hi guys not been on here for a while Diagnosed with type 2 in april this year was put on 2 x500g metformin a day - Ive lost nearly a stone in weight since then - I have started eating healthy and cut out the snacks but does this sound normal? I have gone from what i thought a modest 10st 8 pounds to nearly a stone less in nearly 6 months. The Nurse reckons its just my "body changing" due to the diabetes (maybe she means metabolism) and also that it could be the Metformin. Anyone else expieriencing this? oh and my Hba1c end July was 5.6.

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
Hi Bazza

That all looks good. The metformin is getting your insulin working effectively and that will be magnified with your change to a healthy diet with a curb on the snacks! The weight loss itself will help that process and your HbA1c backs that up. Well done for your first 6 months.

Regards

Doug

BAZZA_P

Thanks its just i don't want to lose anymore as i wasnt really that overweight anyway if overweight at all - Also i still tend to feel sluggish some mornings

danielJP

Agreed, sounds normal - I am heavier than you and shed 7lbs in 4 weeks (on the same meds).
I used to have a big appetite (& thirst) but the Metaformin has really killed it (which is great)
If not doing so already, consistent exercise will help with the morning sluggishness (it will take time & effort) - I recommend a 30 minute brisk walk or for low impact a cycle ride or 45 minutes length swimming in the pool - combine them and your practically a tri-athlete :)
Because you are light, you will quickly start to feel more energised as you become fitter.
Best of luck.

markd

You don't say how tall you are; if you look online, you'll easily be able to calculate your BMI from your weight and height.

From your weight, unless your weight is over 6ft, your BMI isn't likely to be too low, so not much much to worry about losing a few pounds - just the reverse in fact.

markd

Grazer

I'm not on metformin, I'm on diet only, but I've lost well over a stone since diagnosis because of the snacks and sweet things I've cut out of my diet, and I wasn't overweight either. I'm trying to put weight on by eating loads of "decent" food, but it doesn't work! So it might not be down to the metformin alone, but the dietary changes as well. I'm not worrying now. Like you, my BMI is fine and better a bit underweight than over

Sanober

Dislikes
Not really knowing what's going on inside my Endocrine system!!!
I'm similar to you in terms of age, weight and weight loss (I'm a girl too :D )

I'm 34, 5ft 4 , currently weight 9st 1 and was 10st 4 in Dec 2010.
Weightwatcher website suggests for me - my weight range is 8st 5lb to 10 st 6 lb.
so like me you're bang in the middle. Personally 8st 5lb would be too low for me as I would really up the exercise/diet to get to that and then maintain it (I reached it once thought).
Over the years my body generally seems to move from 9st 4 to 10st 4.

Weightwatchers seems to suggest for 5ft 5 (doesn't allow half inch) that your weight range is
8st 8lb to 10 st 10 lb.

My personal concern is I've shed 5 pounds in a week and a half so I need to watch this as this is pretty quick for someone who's normal weight and my exercise has been on the lower side.

I'm not on any meds, but I'm certain with changes I've made over the months since December i.e with increased exercise and monitoring my eating habits this has contributed to weight loss.

So like me you were nearer the top of the range initially and now in the middle. I would say unless it's starts to drop more dramatically and quickly and you've not made any further reduction in calories/exercise etc and you feel fatigued/run down and generally ill to go back to the nurse.

Incidentally with your 'bodily configurations' have they mentioned T1.5 /LADA to you or are they certain you have insulin resistance which is more typical to T2.

They're murmuring T1.5 at me lately. Feel free to PM me if you need to.

BAZZA_P

UPDATE

Went to the Dr today - he checked my weight and height and said i am the right bmi but i need to come in every month to check the weight loss and im having another hba1c in December - he said the weight loss may be due to the metformin as it was used in the past to help people lose weight - he said if the weight loss continues and my hba1c changes then i might have to have a test to see if i have "another type of diabetes as its possible you have" im guessing he means Lada or type1.5

Grazer

Arnold said:
Just to use fresh juices in your breakfast and do walk daily at least 30 minutes. If you walk 30 minutes daily it will burn 100 calories of your body.This is useful of your health.

Umm, agree that walking is healthy but he's not looking to lose calories right now!

derek1960

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
Veg of any kind.
When i found out i was type 2, i stopped everythink, beer snacks sweets, changed to brown bread with bits in and all the rest, lost 2+ stone in 6 months, missed it all, but my readings are down and with the right help things will change.
Best of luck for the future.
Derek.

Sanober

Dislikes
Not really knowing what's going on inside my Endocrine system!!!
Oh my god, Bazza's a boy, why did I think you were a girl?

Sorry.