How do you get to see a diabetic nurse?

Guna108

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi.
When I was first diagnosed with T2 at the beginning of June 2019 my G.P told me not to aks him any questions as he would refer me to a diabetic nurse. Despite my emailing the surgery several times, this has not happened. I have found a lot of good information on this forum, but is it important to be seen by the diabetic nurse?
Also, I have now had 2 HbA1C tests in the 7 months since diagnosis and have gone from 9.5 to 5.6 to (last week ) 5.3. Is that now considered stable b.g or does it have to be in the 4s? When would I need to have my next test?
Sorry for all the questions :)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
5.6 is nicely in the non-diabetic zone :)
You should be tested at leas annually but usually it's more often, not only for hba1c but also for kidney function and lipids, so both blood and urine.
If you're in the UK, you should have been given an appointment for a diabetic eye test shortly after diagnosis which should be repeated either annually or every 2 years, and a DN should have a look at your feet and speak with you about how you're doing as a bare minimum.
I'd keep nagging your GP's office!

D

Deleted member 308541

but is it important to be seen by the diabetic nurse?
My GP's surgery does not have a diabetic nurse, but a CDE is available by appointment there. I had a couple of appointments with her that helped me sort my T2 out.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Despite my emailing the surgery several times, this has not happened.
Can you phone them and ask for an appointment time on the phone? Looks like your emails are being ignored.... Mind you, if you've been getting the blood tests then they haven't forgotten that you're T2, but as @Antje77 said you should be given appointments to have your feet and eyes checked.....

Guna108

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My GP's surgery does not have a diabetic nurse, but a CDE is available by appointment there. I had a couple of appointments with her that helped me sort my T2 out.
Sorry to ask, but what is a CDE?

Guna108

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can you phone them and ask for an appointment time on the phone? Looks like your emails are being ignored.... Mind you, if you've been getting the blood tests then they haven't forgotten that you're T2, but as @Antje77 said you should be given appointments to have your feet and eyes checked.....
I have had to phone to ask for the letter to get the blood tests at the local hospital. I was not told anything about eye test or feet checks. I read that on here and paid to have them done privately. I have not been given any info by my G.P.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah - your GP might be sulking. Mine is, once I lowered my Hba1c below diabetic levels all interest waned.
Fortunately I require an annual test for thyroid hormones and I insist that Hba1c etc is done at the same time.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have had to phone to ask for the letter to get the blood tests at the local hospital. I was not told anything about eye test or feet checks. I read that on here and paid to have them done privately. I have not been given any info by my G.P.

Gunna, I'm not entirely sure where you are located, but Diabetes UK publishes a document, which you can download, and private as a .pdf, whichever might help out with your GP.

The URL is here: https://www.diabetes.org.uk/guide-t...entials/what-are-the-15-healthcare-essentials

Some of these, as a T2, we're unlikely to get, but the BP, kidneys, feet and legs, emotional support and so on are important.