Is a Vegetarian diet really healthier than Omnivore?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
My thoughts are somewhat darker than one might assume.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Oldvatr, well you're a bundle of laughs tonight, nearly put me off me plonk! Anyway I wouldn't worry about it too much, us old fogies will be long gone before any of that stuff happens.

If I were you I'd forget about that and focus your attention on that sausage situation going on in your fridge! The way it's going there's a very real danger it could mutate and evolve into a deadly strain of something deadly that will sweep across the globe killing everyone, except for vegans of course, well it was a vegan sausage roll after all what did you expect. And it will be all your fault! Just think of it all those future generations of surviving vegans will revere you as their saviour and deliverer. They may even build shrines in your honour! How you going to feel about that now? And all because you left that vegan sausage roll in your fridge. :):):)
I tried to bury one in the cat, but she gave it a wide berth. Thinking of sequestering the CO2 emissions by burying the fridge in the back garden. Nah that silly - easier to send it to landfill in the recycling. Don't have a compost heap ever since the rats moved in there otherwise that could be a good place for them - might act as an ant killer in the summer?

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The only way to curb GHG is to stop burning fossil fuels....

Stopping the burning of fossil fuels is correct. The explanation is outside the boundaries of this thread or even forum. I did post a good video on the explanation some months back but it was deleted.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Last edited:

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Stopping the burning of fossil fuels is correct. The explanation is outside the boundaries of this thread or even forum. I did post a good video on the explanation some months back but it was deleted.
I am sat here, in front of my woodburning stove, my only source of heat, hot water and cooking facilities. In a village with no gas.

I had a discount for installing my system, as it was sold as an environmentally friendly thing to do.

Our diesel car is on the drive. We bought it as we were told it was a better option than petrol and more environmentally friendly.

We can't afford to replace either. I can't afford all electric heating etc. Solar panels are not an option.

There are many in this position, having bought what was considered the environmental options a few years ago, and now look askance at for having them.

Same with food. The goalposts keep changing. The cynical side of me thinks it's due to a lot of money being made by forcing us to keep buying different things, which is not an environmentally friendly thing to do.

D

Deleted member 308541

I am sat here, in front of my woodburning stove, my only source of heat, hot water and cooking facilities. In a village with no gas.

I had a discount for installing my system, as it was sold as an environmentally friendly thing to do.
So, burning wood / timber is environmentally friendly...
0y4h3.gif

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...fire-smoke-drifts-to-south-america-un-reports

Reactions: jjraak

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Our diesel car is on the drive. We bought it as we were told it was a better option than petrol and more environmentally friendly.

We can't afford to replace either. I can't afford all electric heating etc. Solar panels are not an option.

There are many in this position, having bought what was considered the environmental options a few years ago, and now look askance at for having them.

Same with food. The goalposts keep changing. The cynical side of me thinks it's due to a lot of money being made by forcing us to keep buying different things, which is not an environmentally friendly thing to do.
You are correct also. What chance do we have...

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, Queensland has a lot of resources, all of that coal we have sitting there waiting to be mined and shipped off to India and China... :D
Yeah, to make electricity. I often wonder where people think this vast increase in electricity is coming from.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, Queensland has a lot of resources, all of that coal we have sitting there waiting to be mined and shipped off to India and China... :D
Watch out for what’s under Coober Pedy.

D

Deleted member 308541

Yeah, to make electricity. I often wonder where people think this vast increase in electricity is coming from.
It's got to come from somewhere, burning wood for electricity generation is inefficient.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I agree with the first part of what you say. But the final paragraph is where I would love to agree with and was they way I used to view this matter. Unfortunately the Climate Change movement is going to severely limit my choice and force me to becme what is essentially a vegan.

The effect of the proposed World Diet To Save The World limits everypme on earth to a token beefburger of animal protein a month, and the rest will be plant based. We will be forced to eat chemically reinforced soya because there will be no alternative. All the animals and fish will be consumed illegally, but no longer farmed, so this will lead to mass extincction of life as we know it. This will be the legacy we leave our children and grandchildren. Animals will be saved becasue they will never be born. That is the sad outcome from the current plans to save the planet.

I have seen the proposed Climate Change Act that was nearly passed into law except that prorogation of Parliament prevented it. It will return later this year, and unless defeated, will use laws and taxes to force an 80% drop in animal protein. The proposed target that MPs were to agree on was the reassignment of agricultural land from livestock to biomass production at the rate of 20% per annum starting in 2020 and completing by 2030. The compounded effect of this will give the total target of 80% by 2030. This will also allow realignment of the imported soya crop from livestock to provide biomass in the form of mass produced plant protein products,

It is important that we do understand how to use a vegan diet to survive with diabetes, since this is what is facing all of us on this forum. I currently low carb, and have what I consider a healthy diet due to the ability to use foods that supply my complete nutritional needs, Post Apocalypse, I will have to eat Impossible Burgers and swallow pills to make up the differences, and I will be forced to use insulin to control my diabetes. I have not seen anything on this forum that gives me hope to be able to follow my path of choice for the rest of my life.

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...roduction-key-to-climate-crisis-leaked-report

Not "all of us" on this forum! This is very country-specific, what you are talking about. Especially the parliament ref! :). I live in a country that made a very comprehensive and pretty darned successful re-creation of Scotland and England for immigrants from Britain here, by deforesting the native flora and fauna (rainforests) massively, with a much smaller human population and a benign climate - the upshot being absolutely masses of grass covered fields with masses of cows and sheep - and they aren't going anywhere any time soon, I promise! Definitely not by 2030!!!!

I feel for you, re this possibility, and really appreciate your writings on it re your country. (I won't go into what else I feel for Brits about, re, ah, current politico-economic dramas!) If what you are saying does come about - my guess is there will be a huge black market in meat and seafood and fish - that being a very basic natural part of our species' food. I think you have mentioned this too in past posts? Quite right.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not "all of us" on this forum! This is very country-specific, what you are talking about. Especially the parliament ref! :). I live in a country that made a very comprehensive and pretty darned successful re-creation of Scotland and England for immigrants from Britain here, by deforesting the native flora and fauna (rainforests) massively, with a much smaller human population and a benign climate - the upshot being absolutely masses of grass covered fields with masses of cows and sheep - and they aren't going anywhere any time soon, I promise! Definitely not by 2030!!!!

I feel for you, re this possibility, and really appreciate your writings on it re your country. (I won't go into what else I feel for Brits about, re, ah, current politico-economic dramas!) If what you are saying does come about - my guess is there will be a huge black market in meat and seafood and fish - that being a very basic natural part of our species' food. I think you have mentioned this too in past posts? Quite right.

Yes, it does seem your gov is trying to barter its catbon footprint away by borrowing heavily from the Paris Agreement carbon capture scheme. Looking at the 2050 target of zero emissions, it seems they will fall short by about 47% for biogenic methane and will have to take other measures as yet unspecified.
http://www.legislation.govt.nz/bill/government/2019/0136/latest/LMS183848.html

Of course, if everybody else is cutting their meat imports to zero, then your market will shrink, and there will be a natural reduction in output accordingly. I do not think you will be immune from the fallout. especially if the carbon trading scheme is not able to absorb the levels of borrowing due to other players not meeting their targets either.

Status
Not open for further replies.