Confused - Reduce Carbs or Sugars?

saintsteve

Hi. I have recently been diagnosed with type two diabetes and am looking to change my diet. I am confused as to if I should be looking at the levels of carbs or sugars on any packaged food. I have read about cutting out bread, rice and pasta and saw cauliflower rice mentioned as an alternative.

When I looked at packets of each, Long Grain rice had 35g of carbs of which 0.5g is sugars. The cauliflower rice had 7.0g of carbs of which 4.8g is sugars.

Is the level of carbs or level of sugars more important, as I believed that I needed to cut out sugars from my diet and have been looking at the sugar levels on the packaging.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. GPs etc often say you need to reduce sugar. What they should say is reduce all carbs as sugar is just another carb (although it also has no fibre etc). So on food packets just look at Total Carbs.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. I have recently been diagnosed with type two diabetes and am looking to change my diet. I am confused as to if I should be looking at the levels of carbs or sugars on any packaged food. I have read about cutting out bread, rice and pasta and saw cauliflower rice mentioned as an alternative.

When I looked at packets of each, Long Grain rice had 35g of carbs of which 0.5g is sugars. The cauliflower rice had 7.0g of carbs of which 4.8g is sugars.

Is the level of carbs or level of sugars more important, as I believed that I needed to cut out sugars from my diet and have been looking at the sugar levels on the packaging.
Carbs. Every single time. As a type 2 this is what you are failing to be able to process. Sugar is a carb and for many it’s processed faster (relevant more if you’re injecting insulin) but it’s all the same for type 2 really.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sugar is a carb, but it is the carbs that you need to be watching.
Even carbs with no sugar, or no added sugar will raise blood glucose very similarly to the way sugars do.

Reactions: Chunters

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can I suggest you take a good look at LCHF ie low carb higher fat (than typically recommended) methods of eating (keto is just a version of this). It’s how an awful lot of us get our blood sugar levels under control and for some even eliminate medications and achieve remission and also reduce or improve complications. It is often the easiest and most sustainable form of weight loss for a type 2 if you need that. Other conditions often improve including but not limited to blood pressure, joint pain, inflammation, PCOS, and despite the dire warnings of the last few decades it improves cholesterol for most, yes improves cholesterol. Some jump right on it, others edge their toes in a bit at a time. Be aware the the USA count carbs differently so be aware if you look at their counting, recipes or products. They include fibre in their count we don’t. So if it’s USA stuff deduct the fibre to get our figures. (Fibre isn’t generally digested thus doesn’t get counted)

Try clicking these links for more detailed explanations that are well worth readings.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.26870/

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog/jokalsbeek.401801/ for info including low carb made simple

And https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/success-stories-and-testimonials.43/ to show it really works and for motivation

and https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/what-have-you-eaten-today.75781/ for food ideas

also https://www.dietdoctor.com/ for more food ideas and general info of carb content of foods. Excellent site and first port of call for many getting their head round low carb.

Lots of other websites for recipes out there too. Just use the term low carb or keto with whatever you fancy.

Also it’s very important to be able to check for yourself what’s happening so you can make the necessary adjustments day to day and meal by meal rather than wait 3, 6 or even 12 months and then have no idea what had what effect. It also helps keep an eye out that any meds are working appropriately not too much or too little. Getting a blood glucose meter is the only way to do this (no matter what contradictory advice you may have heard - it’s usually budget based rather than anything more scientific). Test before a meal and 2hrs later hoping for a rise of 2mmol or less. More and the carbs eaten were too many! Please ask if you want any guidance on this.

IMPORTANT FOR ANYONE ON DIABETIC MEDS (other than metformin): if you lower your carbs then any glucose lowering meds or insulin increasing meds may need to be adjusted accordingly to make sure you aren’t taking more than your new diet requires. It can cause a hypo if you have more gliclazide or insulin etc than your new carb intake requires. (This is not a concern for metformin on its own). Keep a very close eye on your numbers and do this with your dr’s knowledge. Please don’t be put off by an ill informed out dated rubbishing of low carb diets or being told you should eat carbs to match meds, it should be the other way around.

Mandy2019

My nurse advised buying Carbs and Calorie Counter by Chris Cheyette. Food packaging is confusing it is not a very diabetic friendly world, we can only hope that one day it will be better.

jackois

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think that the importance of 'of which sugars' is relevant in working out how quickly your blood sugars will be affected. Sugar being a simple carb takes less time to cause a rise in blood sugar, than a complex carb. Useful info as to whether a carb will spike a blood sugar, especially for a type 1 who may be having a hypo as they would want a quick rise...

Reactions: jjraak

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)