Lower leg itching and non healing blotches

Andy hd

Hi. My legs are deteriorating fast. Blotches and hives with constant itching. Has anyone else experienced this and are there any creams or solutions.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. My legs are deteriorating fast. Blotches and hives with constant itching. Has anyone else experienced this and are there any creams or solutions.

the most important is to get blood sugar down by eating fewer carbs.

And then you need to use your legs, take some long walks if you can or shorter walks, and then don sit all day move, and move at least every 15 minutes in the day time, get up standing every 15 minutes, it also helps blood glucose get down...

but do you actually know anything of how to count the grams of carbs you are eating?
try to count the number of grams of carbs and stay under in total under 100 grams and if that doesn't help do go lower in total...never more than 30 grams in a meal

Andy hd

I’m very active through my work. I was wondering if compression socks or cream such as aloe Vera could ease the symptoms but thank you for replying.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.

I see from your first post that you have weight problems.
Can you please tell us a bit more about yourself?

Things like test results, medication you are on, the type of foods you usually eat, if you regularly (or occasionally) test your BG and if so what the results are.

We can give generic advice like trying to modify your diet to reduce carbohydrates but without knowing more detail that is about all we can do.

Lower leg problems and poor healing suggest poor blood glucose (BG) control as the main cause, but I would be guessing there.

If poor BG control is your main problem, treating the symptoms with creams and lotions isn't going to do much good long term. You need to tackle to root cause.

Welcome to the Forum; look around and you will find plenty of (often good) advice.

Reactions: Andy hd

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes. There is a thread on this just now. However if it is severe then some kind of cortisone type cream is needed first, from your GP.

Lower carb higher fat dieting cured this in my case.

This condition was the most significant driver that led me to this forum, in search of a solution.

Once the broken skin condition is resolved then this is the cream I used to manage the condition until I changed my diet:

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/recommendations-for-cream-for-feet.171135/

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello and welcome @Andy hd .

Have you seen the useful, recommended info provided for new members yet?
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.17088/
Have a read, and ask questions. Lots of knowledgeable folks sharing experience.

Regarding your current leg problem... We really cannot diagnose, so you need to get that checked by GP. As others have mentioned, your weight problem, and liking for beer could exacerbate the problem though. I would be inclined to get a proper diagnosis and treatment before the leg problem gets worse, as if the skin breaks you could end up with leg ulcers. Sorry if this worries you, but I am trying to urge you not to neglect this. Please seek GP advice, and do let us know how you get on.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you seen a HCP with this? That seems the first step to me.