Difference in beef mince fat

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
So I used to buy 5%beef mine. Since I’m doing LCHF I’ve upped it to 20% mince. But I’m thinking do you have to go as high as that?
I think I’d rather have more meat than fat? But should it be the 20%. Was thinking even if I go 12%.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think the fattier mince is a bit cheaper too.

I normally go for the fattier mince these days. When I go to buy it I spend as little time as possible and quickly flip through the choice in front of me. Whatever is the higher of the options in fat ( 12% v 20% ) I buy.

Reactions: woollygal

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve swapped from 5 to 20% via 12% along the way. I think it’s a bit arbitrary anyway. If there’s too much fat floating around for my liking I just drain a little off but find myself doing that less and less often as I’ve adjusted to it.

Never ever would have believed I’d be eating the fat I do as I’ve always loathed the taste of it regardless of any other considerations. I’ve even eaten belly port (apart from some large soft lumps of fat that needed more cooking)

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve swapped from 5 to 20% via 12% along the way. I think it’s a bit arbitrary anyway. If there’s too much fat floating around for my liking I just drain a little off but find myself doing that less and less often as I’ve adjusted to it.

Never ever would have believed I’d be eating the fat I do as I’ve always loathed the taste of it regardless of any other considerations. I’ve even eaten belly port (apart from some large soft lumps of fat that needed more cooking)
My wife eats belly pork. She prefers it. She kind of overcooks it till it is crispy and then dips it in a soy type sauce or similar. I always objected to it but now I have given it a try I found I liked it. Has to be well done though.

D

Deleted member 308541

The leaner minced mar is for making spag sauces, cottage pies etc. the fatter minced meat is for hamburger patties, resoles etc. for cooking on a barbeque.

Thomas the Tank

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The leaner minced mar is for making spag sauces, cottage pies etc. the fatter minced meat is for hamburger patties, resoles etc. for cooking on a barbeque.
Yea! we have a mince Connoisseur who knows, apart from price, why there is different amounts of fat in Beef mince. I have been buying mince for many many years and only found this out about a year ago.

D

Deleted member 308541

Yea! we have a mince Connoisseur who knows, apart from price, why there is different amounts of fat in Beef mince.
Thirty years of experience in the retail and wholesale meat industry, and still keeping my hand in by cutting up bush kills.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I think it depends on how much fat there is in the rest of your food - I have been known to cook mince and leave it in the fridge overnight so as to get the fat off the top for cooking the next mornings breakfast after finding I not got any fat for frying or roasting.

Reactions: woollygal

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd agree with @Resurgam that it may depend on the overall amount of fat you actually need to eat to feel satisfied after your meal.

I tend to go for the higher fat mince, partly on price and partly as there's a bit of fatty juice that can help things from being too dry - as I don't like gravy.

But there's no low carb rule that dictates that you have to stuff your face with fat - all you should be doing is eating enough fat to replace the fuel you previously got from high quantities of carbs, and how you obtain that and how much you feel you need to eat is individual to you. I've always eaten normal full fat foods, and my interpretation of "low carb high fat" simply means higher in relation to the low/"lite"/reduced fat foods normally eaten in a high carb diet.

Robbity

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
I'd agree with @Resurgam that it may depend on the overall amount of fat you actually need to eat to feel satisfied after your meal.

I tend to go for the higher fat mince, partly on price and partly as there's a bit of fatty juice that can help things from being too dry - as I don't like gravy.

But there's no low carb rule that dictates that you have to stuff your face with fat - all you should be doing is eating enough fat to replace the fuel you previously got from high quantities of carbs, and how you obtain that and how much you feel you need to eat is individual to you. I've always eaten normal full fat foods, and my interpretation of "low carb high fat" simply means higher in relation to the low/"lite"/reduced fat foods normally eaten in a high carb diet.

Robbity
That makes a lot of sense thank you

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
I never knew that thanks.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
There is such a push for lower fat - my daughter in law even eats a low fat diet whilst breastfeeding her children, even though I have warned her against it.
I don't use lots of fat when cooking, just take the natural fats which come with the meat to roast or fry, so when I forget to take along any olive oil on a trip, I have to improvise.
I used to have a local butcher, bought whole carcasses there and used to render the fat or save some after roasting. I do miss having that now.

Reactions: Lotties

pdc1981

I think the fattier mince is a bit cheaper too.

I normally go for the fattier mince these days. When I go to buy it I spend as little time as possible and quickly flip through the choice in front of me. Whatever is the higher of the options in fat ( 12% v 20% ) I buy.

You’re quite right on the price difference. I checked when out shopping today and 20% was £1.80 for 500g whereas 5% was £3.40 for 450g.

Win win for those of us on LCHF

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I get quite upset when my local co-op has only 5% or 12% beef mince in and none of the 20% mince for one thing it just tastes better to me.

Reactions: Lotties

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I get quite upset when my local co-op has only 5% or 12% beef mince in and none of the 20% mince for one thing it just tastes better to me.

Our butcher minces rump steak. It's the only mince he does. They are mainly a butcher into the hospitality and care industries, and the care homes they have contracts with want lean mince. For them, it's easier to do one sort of mince - take it or leave it.

I have no idea what percentage fat it is, but if we want so fat, they are happy to add it, gratis.

For example, we had boneless forerib at Christmas, whichever came with an extra package of beef fat, for cooking.

They know, and comment positively to that fact we're not fearful of fat, so are happy to help us out.