Type 2 Yaltormin Pain

philip123

I feel that I'm alone, my GP surgery is just around the corner but they seem like a 100 miles away. I've recently started Yaltormin (currently on 3x500mg per day just after my evening meal). I feel terrible - my arms and legs ache all day and all night; there's no escape from the pain. Its not joint pain but muscle pain. I took up cycling to help myself, and I expect that has made my aches feel worse, but I've paused my cycling for the moment just to try and get rid of this pain. I eat and drink better, a lot better, and I've got my numbers down from 23 mmol to a regular 8 mmol in just 5 weeks. I want to be happy about that because I know that is a real success, but this pain is so bad. I want someone to tell me to persevere with the medication because the pain will subside but at the moment all I can think of is the pain that these tablets appear to be bringing to my life, rather than the success I've had in putting my life back on track. If there is anyone out there that has suffered real muscular pain with these tablets please tell me it will get better.

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I just had a look at the Patient leaflet for your tablets and muscle pain and cramps are indicated as a side effect, I suggest you read it and if the pains started when you started these tablets you go back to your GP and tell him you shouldn't be having this pain.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As Satindoll says a return visit to your GP is in order, however can I ask if you were out on a statin (to treat cholesterol levels) at the same time as they are notorious for causing muscle pain.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had the same thing - threw the tablets in the bin as I had dreadful side effects from the Metformin and Atorvastatin - it took over 18 months for the last niggling ache to go but I felt so much better in only a few days, though I still can't drink tea as I associate it with the strange alteration in my sense of taste I experienced. I used to do storage testing for Allied Lyons, so my sense of taste is - was - acute. Fortunately I can still enjoy coffee.
I never needed the tablets in the first place.

Reactions: Jasper27

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
If that's the side effect, I'd stop them ... not on

philip123

I had the same thing - threw the tablets in the bin as I had dreadful side effects from the Metformin and Atorvastatin - it took over 18 months for the last niggling ache to go but I felt so much better in only a few days, though I still can't drink tea as I associate it with the strange alteration in my sense of taste I experienced. I used to do storage testing for Allied Lyons, so my sense of taste is - was - acute. Fortunately I can still enjoy coffee.
I never needed the tablets in the first place.
Wow, 18 months is a long time - I've stopped the Yaltormin for now and my aches have subsided, but they've not gone away completely. Just enjoying long/hot baths and loads of Deep Heat to ease the final aches, but its not much fun having these aches, especially at night. I'll restart a bit of cycling tomorrow if the weather gets bit better. I keep telling myself I'm doing the right thing.

Reactions: Daphne917

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow, 18 months is a long time - I've stopped the Yaltormin for now and my aches have subsided, but they've not gone away completely. Just enjoying long/hot baths and loads of Deep Heat to ease the final aches, but its not much fun having these aches, especially at night. I'll restart a bit of cycling tomorrow if the weather gets bit better. I keep telling myself I'm doing the right thing.
I did the same after I started taking statins - I suffered dizzy spells and sleep disturbance so told my doctor that I wasn’t going to take them anymore which, after talking it through, he was content with.