feeling really low

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Are the restriction and regulations as stringent if you did it as a charity or voluntary type concern with folks making donations rather than 'paying' as such?
Are there any charities that use private homes for respite type situations?
Don't know anything about this side of things but someone might.
Good luck, hope you find some way of doing it as it sounds a lovely idea.
Angie

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
If you are starting up a B&B you need to be very careful to conform with Fire Safety Regs. Best to check with your local Fire Safety Officer as some areas interpret the Regulations differently.......

Get the right advice before you start. There are plenty of websites on the Net where you can find out the basics and avoid coming unstuck.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
That's the point really that I do not want to do it as a business at all. I just think that for myself I would love to be able to go to stay somewhere in the UK that had an easy come and go easy life but somewhere that I could get nice meals that I don't have to worry about the carbs etc, storing insulin vials in a fridge etc, and it is just that I would love to be able to offer others the opportunity of this in beautiful surroundings and a lovely bungalow with lovely home grown fruit and veg in season.

I really son't want to be classified as a B&B, as I enjoy home cooking and enjoy people staying and we have spare bedrooms, bathroom and lounge. The idea of a donation is a very good idea, but it is getting some sort of advertising going that doesn't involve being classified as a hotel or b&b really....truly amazed that yet again, people offer advice that I hadn't thought of....thank you all so much....also all I need to find out is whether people would be interested in such a thing, as it os ok having an idea to do something but not if nobody would be interested!!!!!

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Sharon.
The only way you could do such a thing is on a non-payment basis but even that is fraught with danger. Anything happens and you would need Insurance to meet any possible claims against you.

Once any money changes hands then it is a business and there is a myriad of things that you become subject to. Health & Safety Regs, Fire Safety Regs etc.........

Nice idea to share your house but you really need to take professional advice about this first and foremost. It isn't like the days where if you had a spare room or two you could just stick a notice in the window....Vacancies. everything is tightly regulated now because of disasters in unsafe premises.

Anyway, do you have a room free in June........I'm house trained !! :D

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Ken

If you like beautiful walks between black mountain and brecon mountains, with lovely rivers and castles.
If you like beautiful beaches.
If you like good home cooked food.
If you like to be able to come and go as please and use our home as your own, i.e making cups of tea and coffee when ever you want-as long as I am included.
If you like to pay the toll on the M4 to come in to Gods country (as the welsh call it!!)
If you like to have a laugh and relax.
If you don't mind 2 gorgeous old dogs creeping in to your bedroom to wake you up.
If you like to do what you want and to come and go without feeling that you have to invite us too.
If you like the rain (always visit Wales with a mac and brolly, and sometimes wellies.
Then we have space in June....

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Sounds very tempting dd! :)

Nigel

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Sharon.

You sound like the advert for Wales on the telly !!

Wales......beautiful place. Spent many years with the kids down there. Always had a great time although we always came back a trifle 'rusty'.........got through a lot of brollies too !

You never know........it's veeeery tempting. :wink:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
cugila said:
got through a lot of brollies too !

Was the wife whacking you over the head with them for getting on her nerves? :lol:

Nigel

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Seriously though, this is why we can't really find away around doing what we would love to do, because of the health & safety, insurance regs, etc....it's so sad really, because we are lucky to have a beautiful place and could offer 'good choices' of carb counted food etc where anybody could feel at home in the kitchen area too, but it seems that we won't ever be able to find a way around to do it.

I just think (especially since having a pump) that some people would like to get away to have a short break, without worrying about where they can store their insulin, sets, cartridges etc, and somewhere that they know has somone that realises the regimes of carb counting etc...I know from having travelled the country with one of my jobs previously that I always made sure that hoteliers knew I was diabetic, and that my work colleagues who also stayed in the hotels with me also knew, and that I always had to arrange for special storage for my insuiin. My job involved staying in particular hotels for months and only travelling home at weekends to do the washing!!

I think there is too much red tape for us to get round. We were both welcomed as Vulnerable Adult Placement Carers, our bungalow was the only one that they had in the Council's area, and we went through a huge long process to be accepted etc, all the fire extiguisher and blankets etc, collapsible toilet rails etc but in the end my fibromyalgia meant that the care of someone that was both mentally and physically handicapped was more than I could do.

We lost our CAB advisers here, as they have gone to prison for fraud, so there is not an easy access to legal advice in our town, but I will definitely do some phonecalls in the upcoming weeks...thanks for the advice from everyone....

cugila

Master
Dislikes
noblehead said:
cugila said:
got through a lot of brollies too !

Was the wife whacking you over the head with them for getting on her nerves? :lol:

Nigel

Nah ! I was much fitter then ......she could never catch me......... :arrow:

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Sorry, I sort of hijacked that posting with invite to good wholesome carb counted food and invites to Wales!!

I hope that Clairlloyds is feeling more upbeat now about eating and not feeling so low....let us know how you are and how whether you need anything....best wishes...Sha x

Clairslloyd

No worries. Was a good read, I was tempted to jump in the car :lol: Have phoned the DN and have to phone after 2 to see if she will start my medication so fingers crossed. I maybe able to stay awake for awhile then :D

HpprKM

Dislikes
Self absorbed and rude people! Motorists who are oblivious to the rest of the world, and really don't give a ****!
Hi Claire, sorry to hear you are also feeling under the weather - re: my post and your remark. Sadly diabetes seems to take its toll from time to time, but as the old adage goes and I keep trying to remind myself, 'it could be worse'. Cold comfort when you feel down I know! What I hate is the inexorable battle to rid myself of any ailment, such a long, slow process. Hoping you are feeling better, today my arms and legs feel like lead - but I am able to move around, and do things by giving myself breaks - that is more than some people can do :(

Also know about the not feeling like I have had enough to eat, ultimately because I fancy chocs and 'nice/forbidden' things, when I feel like this and do not give in to temptation I eat a slice of bergen bread toasted with marmite, or some kind of fruit. I was quite bad on holiday - in Canada - and on top of trying to keep a good diet, very difficult on holiday, I managed to eat two maple topped donuts, I always said I was going to eat one.... just because they are only on offer in Canada, but two :oops: Guess I am paying for it now - must get back on track with diet and exercise.

Wishing you well, and just to let you know that you are not alone - there are always people on the forum who can reassure you of that :wink:

Get well soon.

HpprKM

Dislikes
Self absorbed and rude people! Motorists who are oblivious to the rest of the world, and really don't give a ****!
Just noticed date of original post, guess I am a little out of date with reply!

Clairslloyd

Hi HpprKM, it was really nice of you to comment on my post even though it was a while ago. I am still in the same situation and completely disallusioned with everything. Have today been told that I will be on Ramipril for the rest of my life and may now need surgery on my knee. This comes after a wonderful holiday with the children and arriving home to discover we had been burgled (they even took my sons Lego). Am still trying to look on the bright side but it can be difficult. Also having frequent headaches due to the change in pain meds - which have been increased. I will persevere and hopefully overcome :)

WhitbyJet

Clairslloyd - I do feel for you, what a nightmare it must have been coming back from a holiday only to find your home has been invaded. How low some people can get is beyond me.

My brother and family, currently living in Manchester also came home from their holidays finding their house ransacked, they took all they could get and damaged all they couldnt take with them, ie slashed the sofas, curtains.....
Takes ages to feel comfortable in your own four walls again, be patient with yourself, you are going through a very stressful time here.

I note you say you are watching your carbs but are missing treats, I prepare myself for these cravings, I always have low carb bread ready, freeze it in slices, I always have low carb home made chocolates and bounty bars in the freezer. Have a look in the low carb section I posted various bread recipes and a whole thread of chocolate paradise all low carb. My children enjoy making these chocolate treats, guiltfree stuff this is. See if something inspires you.

I am just about to try out some new pizza recipe, if its a success I will post that too. I adore cooking, searching for new recipes, trying them out.

All the best to you