Skin Irritation with Omnipod

WenB

I am using the Omnipod Insulin pump, which I love, but I am having problems with my skin becoming sore by the third day. When I remove the pod my skin is red, sore and dry for several days.
Can anyone recommend a kind of barrier that can be applied prior to placing the pod to stop this? Nurse at clinic said ask Omnipod Customer Care and they say they are not allowed to recommend and that I should ask a pharmacist, I have tried 2 but they can't help.
I can't believe I am the only one with this problem!!

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @WenB

Welcome to the forum. I can't comment regarding Omnipod problems but I do use Libre and appreciate the potential of skin issues in regard the adhesives. No, I don't expect you are alone with your problems.

Facebook has various pages regarding skin issues in relation to Dexcom, Libre and, I think, Omnipod so maybe have a search around there

Also, I did a quick Google search and came up with lots of links - https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=omnipod+skin+reactions

There are lots of products on the market for 'adhesive' issues on skin and, in fact, will be lots of expertise and experience regarding similiar issues at your local hospital, if you can find the right person(s) ...

Until you get others posting, perhaps have a look at these above.

Wishing you well in this.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Cavilon, which I use under the Libre. Hospital recommended it. I order it from Amazon.

Reactions: Medusa41

Judith Bishop

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am using the Omnipod Insulin pump, which I love, but I am having problems with my skin becoming sore by the third day. When I remove the pod my skin is red, sore and dry for several days.
Can anyone recommend a kind of barrier that can be applied prior to placing the pod to stop this? Nurse at clinic said ask Omnipod Customer Care and they say they are not allowed to recommend and that I should ask a pharmacist, I have tried 2 but they can't help.
I can't believe I am the only one with this problem!!

Hi,
Like you, I love my pod system but I’m having the same issues as you. It is causing me huge problems. My latest batch of pods from February 2020 onwards are causing severe irritation, so much so I’m having difficulty finding a suitable ‘irritation free’ area for a new pod.
Prior to February my previous pods work brilliantly, with no skin irritation but I have just a couple of these older pods left.

This same thing happened in 2016. I was told that the pods glue backing had not be changed/altered. (Much later, I was told that the adhesive had been changed.) At that time I was recommended by a nurse to use Cavilon no sting barrier spray & on top of this I was told to use ‘Tegaderm’ a Hydrocolloid dressing as an additional second barrier. This helped but showering, bathing was near impossible because the heat/water caused the Tegaderm to peel away from the skin.
I hope this might be of some help to you but please let me know how you get on or if you have found anything that has helped you. I’m still searching for a better option.
Many thanks,
Judith BIshop

Post edited by moderator to remove personal information

Last edited by a moderator: