My type 2 journey

STfan

Hello,

I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in December 2018 with a Hba1c of 76 and was prescribed metformin and sent to the nurse.
The nurse explained to me in a crude way of the effects of to much sugar in my blood (which was actually enough to take it seriously) and recommend eating lower GI foods.

I weighed 136 kilograms

Immediately I bought a glucose monitor and the book the nurse recommended (GI & GL counter).

I started by eating lower carb and started loosing weight and monitoring my blood sugar to see how it was reacting to what I had eaten.
Over time this has developed into low carb basically no grain no sugar and no starch.

August 2019 my Hba1c was 41 and my weight was 117 kilograms, in my visit to the nurse she noted that I hadn’t been on the diabetes education course but immediately said after reading my Hba1c score that I didn’t need to go on it and to carry on doing whatever I’m doing.

January 2020 my Hba1c is 38 and my weight is 102 kilograms. My diet is now what I would call low carb good quality fat and I have started doing intermittent fasting.

So that’s me :)

Reactions: ShelleyMcD

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Congratulations and excellent work. Great method checking your bloods and adapting your way of eating to keep lowering it. Good luck too moving on to add in intermittent fasting IF was a game changer for me - weight loss wise especially - keep up the good work you’re doing really well.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome to the forum @STfan . Well done on your achievements, you’ll fit in well here, many of us Type 2s have got good results from low carbing (plus IF for some).

Rosiegough_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Evil beings. Destroying our beautiful Planet X

ELAType2

Well done, sounds as though you have really got to grips with it. I’m just at start of journey and been awful so far. Was diagnosed in September 2019 with Hbac1 of 83. Prescribed Metformin but had bad reaction to it so changed to Sitagliptin. Was doing ok but getting increasing pain in arms and legs and lots of pins and needles. Advised to stop so now in limbo. Feeling very scared and overwhelmed. So far been so unwell due to medication and very worried about what’s next. Don’t know all options but not good so far.

Can anyone please share experiences of meds ina way that gives me much needed hope!

Thanks

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done, sounds as though you have really got to grips with it. I’m just at start of journey and been awful so far. Was diagnosed in September 2019 with Hbac1 of 83. Prescribed Metformin but had bad reaction to it so changed to Sitagliptin. Was doing ok but getting increasing pain in arms and legs and lots of pins and needles. Advised to stop so now in limbo. Feeling very scared and overwhelmed. So far been so unwell due to medication and very worried about what’s next. Don’t know all options but not good so far.

Can anyone please share experiences of meds ina way that gives me much needed hope!

Thanks
Hi and welcome
Have you thought about changing what you eat in order to avoid medication?
Many of us have...

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome to the forum.

There are many people who control their diabetes by diet, cutting out carbs as far as possible.

Tagging @JoKalsbeek for her great info. You are going to be the fine.

Reactions: JoKalsbeek

ELAType2

Hi and welcome
Have you thought about changing what you eat in order to avoid medication?
Many of us have...
Hi yes, I’m very keen to control this with diet but don’t know where to start and docs want me on some type of Meds at this point. Worried if I don’t take anything I will cause damage and worried if I take something I will be ill! Don’t know where to turn but stress is actually causing mist problem right now

ELAType2

Welcome to the forum.

There are many people who control their diabetes by diet, cutting out carbs as far as possible.

Tagging @JoKalsbeek for her great info. You are going to be the fine.
Hi, thanks. I’m desperate to control this with diet but don’t know what to do for best. Docs insisting I need meds but making mri well and really stressing out

Bildad

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome @ELAType2 Firstly don't panic Type 2 diabetes is controllable without meds. My Hba1c was 78 in March and with a low carb diet was at 37 in September. I have also lost almost 4 stone. Like you I could not tolerate Metformin in any form. I did have Dapagliflozin for a couple of months but soon stopped it. I now eat very low carb (under 25g per day) and am doing some fasting too. Do you have a blood glucose meter (I self fund one as the GP surgery were set against type 2's having them.) I found that really helpful to know what food causes my blood glucose to shoot up and what doesn't. We are all different. Have a read round on this site and ask questions in my experience they are a friendly bunch with lots of experience and will probably have faced any problem already and have an answer to it!

Reactions: ELAType2

Rose22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow that is amazing! You must be so pleased with the results you have managed to achieve! Keep going...it’s a life long buddy diabetes.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi yes, I’m very keen to control this with diet but don’t know where to start and docs want me on some type of Meds at this point. Worried if I don’t take anything I will cause damage and worried if I take something I will be ill! Don’t know where to turn but stress is actually causing mist problem right now

Well its all about carbohydrates and restricting their consumption greatly.
I'll copy a link to the useful intro piece here

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.26870/

Do you have some weight to lose?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Thanks
Hello @ELAType2 ,

https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html is the info mentioned by @xfieldok . You might find it helpful. T2 doesn't have to be treated with medication if you tackle your diet. For quite a few of us some changes in how we eat was enough to not have to take any medication at all. Your HbA1c is high, but I've seen much higher come down in no time at all this way. You're going to be okay. I know it's a scary time and you're a bit lost at sea now, and everything you've been given thus far has been far from helpful, but... You can do this without medication. Just learn about what diabetes is and what foods mean. Start with the provided link: It's a lot of information put as simply and straight forward as I could. Basically everything I wish someone'd told me when I was first diagnosed and the metformin made me too, very ill. It took me a while to find this place, otherwise I would've gotten things straight a lot quicker. But you're here now and it is a wonderful, supportive place to start. When you catch your breath and feel ready for more information, there's loads more on this forum's website (diabetes.co.uk, NOT .org!), and dietdoctor.com.

For now, all I want you to take away from this is that there IS hope, and there IS something you can do which won't cause you pain or gastric issues. Hang in there.
Hugs,
Jo

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello,

I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in December 2018 with a Hba1c of 76 and was prescribed metformin and sent to the nurse.
The nurse explained to me in a crude way of the effects of to much sugar in my blood (which was actually enough to take it seriously) and recommend eating lower GI foods.

I weighed 136 kilograms

Immediately I bought a glucose monitor and the book the nurse recommended (GI & GL counter).

I started by eating lower carb and started loosing weight and monitoring my blood sugar to see how it was reacting to what I had eaten.
Over time this has developed into low carb basically no grain no sugar and no starch.

August 2019 my Hba1c was 41 and my weight was 117 kilograms, in my visit to the nurse she noted that I hadn’t been on the diabetes education course but immediately said after reading my Hba1c score that I didn’t need to go on it and to carry on doing whatever I’m doing.

January 2020 my Hba1c is 38 and my weight is 102 kilograms. My diet is now what I would call low carb good quality fat and I have started doing intermittent fasting.

So that’s me :)
Excellent work! :)

ELAType2

Welcome @ELAType2 Firstly don't panic Type 2 diabetes is controllable without meds. My Hba1c was 78 in March and with a low carb diet was at 37 in September. I have also lost almost 4 stone. Like you I could not tolerate Metformin in any form. I did have Dapagliflozin for a couple of months but soon stopped it. I now eat very low carb (under 25g per day) and am doing some fasting too. Do you have a blood glucose meter (I self fund one as the GP surgery were set against type 2's having them.) I found that really helpful to know what food causes my blood glucose to shoot up and what doesn't. We are all different. Have a read round on this site and ask questions in my experience they are a friendly bunch with lots of experience and will probably have faced any problem already and have an answer to it!
Hi, thanks so much for the reply and hope! I did buy a meter as GP wouldn’t supply one and been keeping a track of where I am. Think I need to take more frequent readings and watch what exactly affects my levels. Under 25g carbs is very low but must be effective for you to achieve such a great result. Wouldn’t have thought to go that low. Do you plan to stay at that level of carbs always?

Bildad

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am not sure if I will stay that low @ELAType2 I have a chocolate and carb addiction so I just tried to cut out carbs as much as I could. I have found it reasonably easy as I haven't been hungry. I still miss chips and toast and most of all chocolate but I know if I have one bite I will be back to square one eating a high carb diet.
I was never a great fruit eater so haven't really missed that.
I would encourage giving low carb a go. Don't set your carb goal too low and see how you get on and where your readings take you. Treat it like an adventure!

GGPFC

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@ELAType2
I agree with all that is said above, low carb has been a game changer for me as I was on last chance before insulin - you can and will get on top of this, I know its very daunting at first and confusing at times but stick with the sites and links suggested above and keep coming back to this forum if you need advice, I find it incredibly helpful

@STfan - well done!

Norfolkmell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tattoos, carers calling me lovey or duckie when I've only just met them
Good job you've got a meter, are you recording your readings? I find that testing before and two hours after along with what I've eaten and carb content helps to keep me on track. Also helps to take it when I see consultants and my GP so that they agree I don't need Metformin tweaked when I have a blip which I did in November.
Everyone is different in the way they react to carbs because I stick to between 80-100 carbs a day I can still have my toast for breakfast and the odd potato dish and my reading support that.
When I need inspiration I look at Dietdoctor so many recipes that I want to try out. Especially the chocolate fudge!

ELAType2

Good job you've got a meter, are you recording your readings? I find that testing before and two hours after along with what I've eaten and carb content helps to keep me on track. Also helps to take it when I see consultants and my GP so that they agree I don't need Metformin tweaked when I have a blip which I did in November.
Everyone is different in the way they react to carbs because I stick to between 80-100 carbs a day I can still have my toast for breakfast and the odd potato dish and my reading support that.
When I need inspiration I look at Dietdoctor so many recipes that I want to try out. Especially the chocolate fudge!

@Norfolkmell

Yes I’ve been recording readings and looking at amount of carbs I have. Levels are not great at moment but trying very hard to figure out what is affecting it. I did ok today but then suddenly spiked at reading taken before dinner. Not sure if going too long before eating could cause this?

Also, is it possible to get a reasonable reading 2hrs after eating but then it spikes 4/5 hours later due to what you ate at last meal? Thinking I did ok with lunch based on reading but spiked several hours later.