What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fbg 6.9

my daily painting challenge to myself...

View attachment 37847

Took about an hour.
A4. Acrylics.
Hand hurts badly. This is one of the reasons I stopped drawing and painting last few years...the arthritis in my hands also. Thumb is seized up and painful.
But painting always has been my thing.
I couldn't do this without those shaving brushes, they make painting easier, and have chunky bit to hold.
I have ordered some more from China, so I am not cleaning them each time I change the colour of paint.
Even just squishing them on a piece of kitchen towel ((to clean previous colour off) wrecks/pains my hand. So plan is half a dozen more of these shaving brushes and just drop them in a bucket of water (when I need a new colour) to clean later. I also need a shaving brush dedicated to white and one to yellow paint.
Maybe I should have ordered more, they are less than £1 each.
But I do need to see how they paint with first.
But I am not giving up this daily painting challenge just because my hand is painful seizing back up.

Have a good day.
My bins were put out last night!!!!
I need a nap. Been awake since 3:50am.
But first an important email I have to write...(actually I dictate all this, because of my hands, but the software does rearrange what I dictate into a completely different story...)
Be good or not!
Live your life and do what you want to each day!
Hugs freely available to all.

Beautiful. That is one that should definitely go on the calendar (if you do one).

But I am sorry to hear about your hand pain. Back when I was doing a lot of writing I tried to solve writer's cramp by learning to use my non-dominant hand. It was VERY slow going -- the letters looked worse than my first 5yo-6yo efforts, and my hand could not keep up with my thoughts.
I once read a novel about a right-handed artist who learned to paint with her left hand after suffering a stroke, but that was fiction. I don't know if she was based on a real-life painter the author knew ...
I've been trying to learn Braille but not very consistently ...

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks but Sidekick Sid and Trixie will do their usual of demanding that I sit on the floor with them and not caring one jot about my "fragile" state! Jacko used to run into my shins after I had surgery so I will expect no different treatment from these 2!!

Wishing you courage for today and for the procedure tomorrow, and, afterwards ...

maxresdefault.jpg

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks DJC I'm waiting for them to go for a snooze after their mid morning snack...I spent a fortune on Harrington's kitten crunchy biscuits...they've turned their nose up & prefer one of the cheaper (but not the best) ones...they have a check up back at Wood Green on the 26th so the Harrington's will be given to them...they've popped upstairs to use the freshly cleaned litter tray...one of their favourite ways to express their views on my efforts to exert a minimum standard of discipline...as for the curtains they're on their won in this.

Bless them, at least (for now) their likes and dislikes are the same, and you’re not having to buy different food for each.
Daughter’s cat was the same with the litter tray - would hang on and on until I’d cleaned it, then, within 10 mins would feel obliged to Christen it.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 , lovely to hear the Terror of the Slippers is back in da house..and (slightly) running amok.
much more preferable to how it could of been, so i bet your wearing that with a nice smile..(for now..;))

He’s progressed from slippers now, and just dragged my muddy wellie boot into the sitting room, with its cream carpet! The top is already chewed where he attacked it before. But you’re right it certainly beats the alternative outcome.

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OK, I have finished my seascape and don't like it, yes @ianpspurs I am a true Wednesdays Child. So will go back to the drawing board after a break, fed up of the sea. Off to band rehearsal now hope my musical creativity is in better mood than the painting. For what it's worth here is the failure but as it's been done over a couple of days and is huge I thought I had better be true to my daily painting promise and also do a quick watercolour sketch, here they be...

A. The days painting..
IMG_2474.JPG

B. The unliked seascape.
IMG_2475.JPG

Edit.. forgot to say @dunelm and @ianpspurs Yellow is a song in our bands song list, we do an acoustic version with guitar, Mandolin, melodeon, tenor recorder and vocal, great song.

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
in their bed and soothing them with strokes and whispers?
Good idea if only they would get in their bed...as for the soothing strokes they assume it's play time my poor scratched hands are testament to that...they are very affectionate when ready...apart from that it's go go go...they are going 'up' early this evening...I have work tomorrow...so early nights all round tonight.

Reactions: gennepher

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
OK, I have finished my seascape and don't like it, yes @ianpspurs I am a true Wednesdays Child. So will go back to the drawing board after a break, fed up of the sea. Off to band rehearsal now hope my musical creativity is in better mood than the painting. For what it's worth here is the failure but as it's been done over a couple of days and is huge I thought I had better be true to my daily painting promise and also do a quick watercolour sketch, here they be...

A. The days painting..
View attachment 37855
B. The unliked seascape.
View attachment 37856
Both look good to me. Tempted to say don't be so hard on yourself but you wouldn't have gained that level of skill without wanting to be the best you can be.

Last edited:

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

A. The days painting..
View attachment 37855
B. The unliked seascape.
View attachment 37856

Wow, that is amazing for a "quick sketch"! :) I especially like the teal color of the water (as it appears on my monitor).
As for the second one, I really like how the rocks just offshore "mirror"(?) the outlines of the rocks on the beach ... seems very eloquent to me ...

I also want to announce that my problems with posting appear to have cleared up! Apparently it was my laptop and not this site. I did some trouble-shooting, clearing caches, and also extensions (whatever those are), and this time when I left my partial post to check on another page, it was still here when I came back.

I hope your rehearsal has helped clear your "sea roke". ;)

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I keep seeing ads for "pet vacs" that claim to vacuum up ALL the pet hairs -- none I have seen claim to vacuum up all the scattered litter! :D
Its a nightmare Saskia it's clogged up the hoover twice now...all over the bathroom floor so now armed with the sweeping brush...still its a good work out!

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good idea if only they would get in their bed...as for the soothing strokes they assume it's play time my poor scratched hands are testament to that...they are very affectionate when ready...apart from that it's go go go...they are going 'up' early this evening...I have work tomorrow...so early nights all round tonight.
They will settle down as they get older and you will remember these times as a fond memory! @SaskiaKC is on the money with the “Cat Rules” though. Lol.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
They will settle down as they get older and you will remember these times as a fond memory! @SaskiaKC is on the money with the “Cat Rules” though. Lol.

Yeah, and once they're older you could write a book about them.... Nightmare on elm has a nice ring about it..:D:hilarious::hilarious:

So true about the cat rules, btw :happy::hilarious::hilarious:

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Beautiful. That is one that should definitely go on the calendar (if you do one).

But I am sorry to hear about your hand pain. Back when I was doing a lot of writing I tried to solve writer's cramp by learning to use my non-dominant hand. It was VERY slow going -- the letters looked worse than my first 5yo-6yo efforts, and my hand could not keep up with my thoughts.
I once read a novel about a right-handed artist who learned to paint with her left hand after suffering a stroke, but that was fiction. I don't know if she was based on a real-life painter the author knew ...
I've been trying to learn Braille but not very consistently ...
Thank you very much @SaskiaKC for the compliments :)
I don’t have so much control of my left hand. The paint is liable to end up flicked somewhere...
I can write a bit left handed. Always had problems with my right hand and so left hand had to help a bit from time to time, but any writing is double sized.
Never used left hand to paint acrylics with...yet!

I tried to learn Braille too, but you need feeling in the tips of your fingers and I have Raynauds in my fingers and hands. So that knocked that one in the head!

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
She is PM & I cant wait for their 'lazy days' ...the bathroom 7 their room is clear I'm not it's gone down my jumper into places it shouldn't have...as I came down the stairs they were at the bottom both looking at me with those big eyes...I couldn't be cross so just made some coffee & laced it with extra thick double cream...sat down for a break watching a re-run of Friends.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
She is PM & I cant wait for their 'lazy days' ...the bathroom 7 their room is clear I'm not it's gone down my jumper into places it shouldn't have...as I came down the stairs they were at the bottom both looking at me with those big eyes...I couldn't be cross so just made some coffee & laced it with extra thick double cream...sat down for a break watching a re-run of Friends.
They have you wrapped around their little paws..but you do know that! Suggest gin!