What alcohol is it OK to drink over Christmas with T2 please?

D

Deleted member 308541

What ever mixer you like as long as it’s sugar free
I do not mix soft drink into spirits, just plain old sippin' whisky on it's own...
be5Za.gif

Reactions: JohnEGreen

bigjim19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
a lot of food im supposed to eat yuk
I do not mix soft drink into spirits, just plain old sippin' whisky on it's own...
be5Za.gif

Being a Scot you’ll think I take whisky but I can’t stand it
I’ve tried just about every drink you could possibly think of and settled on voddy and coke

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Drink to your meter?
Although you have to be careful because alcohol can delay a BG response after food.
I drink beer but don't recommend it. One of my weaknesses.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
One more thing: If you go for a low cal mixer with your vodka don’t use Fever Tree Naturally light tonic. It contains about 6g carbs and caught me out once before. Now I drink gin with soda water - 0 carbs and I can taste the gin better too.
Dry red wine is also pretty good but, as with all alcohol the problem comes afterwards with the lack of willpower when you get peckish. Don’t have too much.
Cheers! enjoy your tipple.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Being a Scot you’ll think I take whisky but I can’t stand it
I’ve tried just about every drink you could possibly think of and settled on voddy and coke
Diet coke I hope though if it's between coke and pepsi give me pepsi every time..

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Mind you best not to drink too much of it though.

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
One more thing: If you go for a low cal mixer with your vodka don’t use Fever Tree Naturally light tonic. It contains about 6g carbs and caught me out once before. Now I drink gin with soda water - 0 carbs and I can taste the gin better too.
Dry red wine is also pretty good but, as with all alcohol the problem comes afterwards with the lack of willpower when you get peckish. Don’t have too much.
Cheers! enjoy your tipple.
So many pubs serve that Fevertree when you ask for a slimline tonic. Its because they make a good profit, but it does you no favours. I've only crossed my beloved scrumpy off the list, these past few years. I'm happy to have the odd Guinness or ale in the local but at home it's Merlot and whisky all the way.

Reactions: DJC3

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Just been up to my local Co-op shelves loaded down with Fevertree tonic I won't be buying any not only carb laden but tonic water of any kind is not on my shopping list quinine not very good for me.

Reactions: DJC3

Mike Sixx

+32% proof alcohol has no sugar, so it really does matter what type spirit you drink they all have 0 carbs or any other nutrition, just ~2200kcal per liter. But alcohol itself is a neurotoxin. So REALLY not good for diabetes, and if you have any neurological complications it's pretty much last thigh you should take.

Cortana

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being sick
Red wine - I mix mine with soda and ice - sounds weird but tastes just fine also alternating between water and wine helps keep my levels low I noticed. Am newly diagnosed so am on the discovery journey of what I can and can’t wat and drink. Have tried white and red wine and neither causes me any problems or spikes.

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
So how did we all do?
My excursions off piste were the occasional ale. And maybe a spoonful of pudding. And maybe a choccy...
But I'm back on track now, exercise routine back in place and a string of 5's on my monitor!