Work

mariposa84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm trying to find a list of work-related adjustments for people with type 1 ie. how many hours between breaks, how often is acceptable to test blood sugars etc. Does anyone know where I might be able to find one?

Apologies if there's already a similar thread.

TIA

KesLouise

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I don’t know if there is any guidance on this but I went to occupational health when I found out and they explained that I needed to have somewhere to inject that was clean and sterile and be able to attend any appointments I needed to without taking it as leave or time owed - but my work are very good and were just wanting to make sure there wasn’t anything additional they could do.

I test when I feel I need to, inject at lunchtime and have not had any issues

:)

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I don't think there are any fixed rules on this. Diabetes is technically a disability, so employers are required to make "reasonable adjustments", but I think it's more of a negotiation process than some fixed rules. (And honestly, that's not unreasonable given that diabetes management varies so much between different people.) There are a number of individual threads on this one.

Some useful info here

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/guide-to-diabetes/life-with-diabetes/employment
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-and-jobs-faqs.html

Reactions: lessci

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @mariposa84, I don't think there would be one specifically for type 1s because everybody is so very different and it affects us all in different ways and we all have different types of jobs. I think if I were you, I would write up what you think YOU need, ie start off with what your normal breaks would be (diabetes or not) and then factor in anything else, such as taking time out to check your levels WHENEVER you feel you need to (feeling low, etc). I don't know your job but if it's one where breaks are dependent upon busyness etc, then factor in a timed break that needs sticking to. I think any adjustment (by them) has to allow for flexibility and incorporate the randomness of type 1 diabetes. That's the basics, on top of that you need to ensure that your work has contingency plans as to what to do if you go hypo or hyper and to know where your emergency stash is and how to apply it. You can always add to the plan if other things crop up. Hope this helps. x

Reactions: More Porridge