Disposing of used Dexcom G6

Chouette31

Hi all,

I've recently started to use the dexcom g6 and I just wondered where people dispose of the used applicator please?

I know that the actual patch can go in my sharps box but the applicator part it quite big and I don't think itll fit into my sharps box because really it is only designed for small needles.

Has anyone requested a larger sharps box and if so where from please?

Any help much appreciated

Thanks.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello and welcome @Chouette31 I contacted Dexcom with this query and the advice I was given was that it has to go into general waste as cannot be recycled.

Reactions: Chouette31

videoman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

I've recently started to use the dexcom g6 and I just wondered where people dispose of the used applicator please?

I know that the actual patch can go in my sharps box but the applicator part it quite big and I don't think itll fit into my sharps box because really it is only designed for small needles.

Thanks.
Hi I have a simular problem with the libre and I asked for a sharps bin with a lose top so I could remove the top and drop it in the box and when they came to collect the sharps bosI fitted the lid down

boxing

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all,

Thanks.
I just dump mine in the general garbage

Bill166

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was told that the applicator counted as a sharp as well, and I needed a 7L sharps bin to easy get rid of them. Mentioned that to my GP and now have a really big sharps bin!

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In Leeds Libre applicator has to go in a 7l sharps bin. Not allowed to go in general waste. Made me laugh as didn’t find this out til NHS prescribed. Had self funded nearly two years and had dumped in bin.

David2040

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I have a simular problem with the libre and I asked for a sharps bin with a lose top so I could remove the top and drop it in the box and when they came to collect the sharps bosI fitted the lid down
There is no "Sharp" parts in the applicator. Just plastic junk!

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There is no "Sharp" parts in the applicator. Just plastic junk!
There is a sharp needle which is used to insert the sensor.
I would argue there is nothing sharp in the sensor. It is a thin filament.