Type 1. Just diagnosed. Still in hospital bed.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
@Davemills they like to bring levels down slowly as quick changes can damage the body, especially eyes.
The gym should be ok once you recover a bit. Weights tend to push my levels up, cardio brings it down. Make sure you have your hypo kit on you when you go and test regularly. Take a look at the runsweet website.

Reactions: Davemills

JPW1

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
ok...I think. Readings are still a bit high but consultant today said it will be like that until they fine tune me. He started me on correction dosages so that may help but explained that he didnt want my readings coming down to quickly as I would feel like I was in hypo when I'm not...made a bit more sense today. I'm very into my gym so I kept asking about that which was a bit confusing regarding dosage and food intake. Should hopefully getting the libre thing in my arm soon too

I started insulin therapy just before Christmas, with gradually increasing doses its really only this week that I've seen BG levels returning to within range, still some adjustment needed though, so I wouldn't worry too much about high levels at your stage in the game. I found the gym including running 5-6K put my BG levels up or they stayed the same until later in the day (I think it rises due to increasing adrenalin) when it might drop quite a bit - something to watch if you go later in the evening I would guess.

Davemills

@Davemills they like to bring levels down slowly as quick changes can damage the body, especially eyes.
The gym should be ok once you recover a bit. Weights tend to push my levels up, cardio brings it down. Make sure you have your hypo kit on you when you go and test regularly. Take a look at the runsweet website.
Yeah I'll maybe leave it a bit before trying to gym still all over the place at the moment

Davemills

I started insulin therapy just before Christmas, with gradually increasing doses its really only this week that I've seen BG levels returning to within range, still some adjustment needed though, so I wouldn't worry too much about high levels at your stage in the game. I found the gym including running 5-6K put my BG levels up or they stayed the same until later in the day (I think it rises due to increasing adrenalin) when it might drop quite a bit - something to watch if you go later in the evening I would guess.
Quite long then before they reach 'normal range' then. The consultant did say that I would need to reduce my overnight dose if I go to the gym in the evening. Long road ahead lol

Davemills

Another question. Something for later down the road but just came to me. If yous are out all day/or even maybe away somewhere and need to take more than one shot of insulin. How do you dispose of the needles?

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Another question. Something for later down the road but just came to me. If yous are out all day/or even maybe away somewhere and need to take more than one shot of insulin. How do you dispose of the needles?
Those little pots your testing strips come in are pretty useful for emergency storage once they are empty.

Although a lot of us are pretty lazy about changing needles every time we inject!

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I pop the needles back into my test kit. It is important to change the needle.

DaveHFCooper

Hey.

healthy 34 year male just been diagnosed with type 1. Has knocked me for six if I'm honest. So any help or advice I can gain from this forum will be much appreciated

Life can go back to normal?

Thanks
Dave
Type 2 two weeks ago ! Still confused as to what I'm supposed to do, eat etc but keep positive Dave, at least it's been caught!

rowlyc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
running
Hi Dave, I am fairly newly diagnosed too, 06/12/19. And I am still very much trying to find my new normal. It's the strangest disease ever, everytime I speak to people with it or with children with it, I learn something else which dumbfounds me! I am currently trying to keep as low carb as possible, I find it keeps me from spiking high or going too low (but everyone's different). However, when exercising I eat a banana and test regularly, eating further carbs if needs be. There's lots of negatives out there, so be careful joining social media groups. Try to suck in as much information as possible, but try and take it easy too, as I still find on some days it consumes my thinking. At the beginning everyday it consumed my thinking.....so it is getting less....woo! I do think it will benefit me in ways, my diet is a lot healthier now, I am losing weight (which I needed) and I am more focussed on what's important in life and thinking of me first rather than others. Good luck, I hope you are starting to get your head around it and you are feeling better.

TIGERLILY1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi Dave,

I was diagnosed in July last year so still pretty new too! Things do become the norm very quickly. In regards to disposing of needles, my DSN introduced me to needle clippers and I thought they were the best thing since sliced bread! They're pretty cheap on Amazon and mean you can just snip the end off the needle which is then safely stored inside the clipper.

Hope this helps.

Jx