Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @jpscloud

Coming to this thread late but wanted to add some thoughts. Firstly congratulations on the 5 day OMAD in ketosis, and also kudos for putting this thread up.

Totally agree with your sentiments about abstinence. Applies to me too. For me it’s not carbs that are the issue, rather certain trigger foods that spark cravings and over-eating. For me they’re high % cocoa chocolate, nuts, nut butters and some savoury snacks. While none of them trouble my BG, they provoke massive over-eating. Trying to manage in moderation doesn’t cut it.

Good luck as you try to fight this.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Yeah - I guess the reason I am officially LCHF rather than Keto is sometimes, often, I eat too many berries. So Ketosis for me is a weaving in and out state. I would need to go carnivore I expect, to knock the berries/sweet tooth thing on the head. But, I don't get the portion size/overeating fear at all, and, probably because of, I have a very hearty appetite. If I started worrying about that on a daily basis I would go nuts and rail against the gods for the dia-blooming-betes more than I do. Don't want to go there. Better for me to go cold turkey entirely on food every now and then, with periodic fasting, and just eat to satiety all the other times. And have stevia sweetened substitutes and keto/lchf bread substitutes made out of almond flour, in my usual/day to day life. At this stage of my life in any case.

If we were in a room and were discussing our metabolisms and food choices and ways of eating choices I think it would make more direct sense - as part of our ways of eating choices is to do with our body types and physical activity levels and so on - all things that you can see in face to face life. And for me - part of who I am and what lead to me to diabetes in the first place is a really strong sweet tooth, and I am pretty active. And, I absolutely want carby things when I am stressed in a majorly way (like with a friend dying, or some such thing). The stevia sweetened/baked substitutes are probably for me, a life saver. My joke is - "I have a really strong sweet tooth. And here I am with type two. Who knew?!"

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks all, I wish we had a thanks button!

I really am grateful for the comments and encouragement, it makes all the difference to me.

So far this week back to attempting keto - while at work I find it not only easier but actually helpful to not eat, so OMAD is turning out to be ideal. Not long ago I found OMAD very difficult because of obsessing about the one meal, but that has changed.

Maybe keto will seem just as natural if I keep working on it.

Lotties

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks all, I wish we had a thanks button!

I really am grateful for the comments and encouragement, it makes all the difference to me.

So far this week back to attempting keto - while at work I find it not only easier but actually helpful to not eat, so OMAD is turning out to be ideal. Not long ago I found OMAD very difficult because of obsessing about the one meal, but that has changed.

Maybe keto will seem just as natural if I keep working on it.
Yup, it will :) and it's not an end in itself and can be modified anytime you need to. Nice job!

I'm eating 2 to 3 times a day as I am water-fasting 3 days a week. Halfway through and my appetite on eating days is very much reduced so OMAD again is arriving naturally.

Reactions: jpscloud

Thomas the Tank

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Many thanks for the tip @Thomas the Tank. If I do another experimentation with sweeteners, and I run out of my present faves, I might give it a bash.

Stevia has the benefit here in New Zealand of growing rather well (it's a native of south america I believe - same lattitude etc) so we are familiar with it, I have even grown it myself it more enthusiastic times. And it is a tried and truly for me, and it took me ages to find a really good relativeluy undoctored granulated stevia product - so I am not too keen on going thru that again with a new fake sugar! But all tips are good.

I did give it a good look - and found this in 'healthline' as an additional possible con for me who is dropping tons of insulin out at a drop of a carb/hat -

"Mogrosides may stimulate insulin secretion. This may not be helpful for people whose pancreas is already overworking to make insulin."
I am not sure I would call either Stevia or Monk fruit Sugar 'fake sugars' no more so than say maple syrup is fake sugar. Not fully understanding why a product that stimulates insulin secretion would cause a pancreas which has to work overtime to make insulin to need to work harder instead of helping produce more easier. Can anybody help me reduce my ignorance please.

and i did find this "

Unlike stevia, there is no evidence of monk fruit extract or sweeteners being mutagenic. As part of the Generally Recognized as Safe (GRAS) determination, lab results filed with the FDA report the “powder extract did not exhibit any cytotoxic or mutagenic potential.”
"With stevia, mutagenic side effects are seen in both lab and animal research." Oh well at least the good old boys at the FDA give sugar a clean bill of health!

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am not sure I would call either Stevia or Monk fruit Sugar 'fake sugars' no more so than say maple syrup is fake sugar. Not fully understanding why a product that stimulates insulin secretion would cause a pancreas which has to work overtime to make insulin to need to work harder instead of helping produce more easier. Can anybody help me reduce my ignorance please.

and i did find this "

Unlike stevia, there is no evidence of monk fruit extract or sweeteners being mutagenic. As part of the Generally Recognized as Safe (GRAS) determination, lab results filed with the FDA report the “powder extract did not exhibit any cytotoxic or mutagenic potential.”
"With stevia, mutagenic side effects are seen in both lab and animal research." Oh well at least the good old boys at the FDA give sugar a clean bill of health!

Insulin production in Type 2 diabetics is usually in overdrive which theorists say leads to the pancreas "burning out". Stimulation in this case would be unhelpful because it would cause burnout to happen faster.

Insulin is the fat-making hormone. As Type 2s, whether small or large in size, have a lot of visceral fat, it is desirable to keep insulin levels as low as possible, by not stimulating insulin release.

This is the purpose of low carb and keto ways of eating - no sweet stuff, less insulin production.

Some sugar substitutes contain zero or very few carbs, yet are thought to stimulate insulin production, which could negate the work a person does to limit insulin production.

Reactions: AloeSvea

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For what it's worth I did try (for science :)) a spoonful of Erythritol last week to see how much of a glucose rise it would give. In my case absolutely none. Xylitol does though. Interesting video here by Non-diabetics on blood glucose rise with different sweetners.

My quoted post is about insulin rather than BGL - it is possible insulin to be stimulated when blood glucose levels are not raised.

Xylitol is only about half the calories of sugar, which may account for your experience, or may not, I don't know!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Some sugar substitutes contain zero or very few carbs, yet are thought to stimulate insulin production, which could negate the work a person does to limit insulin production.

Not to mention triggering cravings.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Things are going quite well in week 2 of OMAD - haven't wavered on that at all, but I succumbed to baked beans (no added sugar, but still way too many carbs) last night. Because of not eating during the day I am still seeing numbers around 0.5 ketones though. Blood sugar is nicely between 4.5 and 6 but I am on three medications for that.

I'm not craving sugar as much as I thought I would, but I do daydream about it quite a bit. Did better tonight, and feeling very full after quite a small dinner. I'm feeling comfortable on OMAD, but weekends are a bit too much of a challenge yet - I'll moderate as best I can and see where I can get with it.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Things are going quite well in week 2 of OMAD - haven't wavered on that at all, but I succumbed to baked beans (no added sugar, but still way too many carbs) last night. Because of not eating during the day I am still seeing numbers around 0.5 ketones though. Blood sugar is nicely between 4.5 and 6 but I am on three medications for that.

I'm not craving sugar as much as I thought I would, but I do daydream about it quite a bit. Did better tonight, and feeling very full after quite a small dinner. I'm feeling comfortable on OMAD, but weekends are a bit too much of a challenge yet - I'll moderate as best I can and see where I can get with it.

Sounds like you’re doing great. I’m the opposite, much easier to OMAD at the weekend when I’m out and about all day.

Lotties

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Superb news!

maltham 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Keep up the good work.

Remind yourself occasionally that the downside is so awful it should be avoided. Who wants to lose a limb or eyesight?

And the upside: cut out the carbs (or most importantly cut any combo of fat and carbs ) and you will find a diet that works, makes you less tired, less hungry between meals and overall feel better.

Worth trying?
And don't forget to burn it of - walk if you can, walk faster if poss....

liza_h

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm sure that I was addicted to carbs too. Since giving up carbs and sugar (except for carrots and berries which I restrict) and going towards lots of veg, salad, some fish, an egg each day and a couple of handfuls of nuts/seeds I've stopped the cravings completely. I feel full for longer too. I've not actually achieved ketosis yet - only just started to go this low with carbs and it's too early to see if my hba1c levels have dropped, but my waist size has which is a start! I like intermittent fasting but it seems to raise my BG levels so I'm going to keep going in the hope that the body will adjust eventually. For me very low carb/ pescatarian keto is going to be my future!

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @jpscloud ,

Thanks for starting this thread- it has been a very helpful read for me.

I am now doing OMAD on most but not all work days. To date I have been prepreparing my lunches on the weekend- spinach leaves, spring onion, betta and smoked salmon but this week plan not to eat lunch on any of the work days.

I still use the artificial sweetener- if I drink alcohol it is usually something with a diet drink - I'm not a wine drinker but did love my cocktails when meeting up with friends- certainly not often but I haven't found a way round it and it is impacting my social life and my mental health. I use thinks like diet jelly when I have a real craving for something sweet. Over the last 6 months that has educed a lot. They are useful when we have a function at our house- next weekend we are hosting my mother's 80th and there will be cake and dessert. I plan a dessert made up of diet jelly and keto custard and cream. It makes it a lot easier for me.

I think it is absolutely an addiction. It is what keeps me 'on the wagon' so to speak. I grieve the loss of carbs -some days more than others but agree- not having them weakens the monster- so I like that analogy

I am aware of the problems with the gut they can cause- not done enough research on it but @JoKalsbeek has mentioned it in some of her posts- I do need to do more research I guess. For me at the moment it is what I can cope with and I'm not sure I can give them up next- it feels like I'm being punished Anyway I also agree that my current favourite treat a teaspoon of peanut butter can be hard to stop at one but I've basically told myself if I can't stop at one teaspoon then I can't have it at all.

I liken it in my mind to any addiction- some people can control their addiction- I'm not one of them- one piece of nice chocolate or one lolly would be one too much at at the same time- not enough. I'm all or nothing so nothing it is at the moment.

Thanks for this thread!

Reactions: AloeSvea

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes this is an interesting subject - whether or not sweet substitutes "feed the monster". For me the jury is still out, so for now I'm avoiding them as much as possible, and will maybe use them to get over serious moments of weakness rather than joyfully embrace them.

They do also tend to distract me from the real business of real food nutitional ketosis and have in the past set off lapses, although those do happen regardless!

Exactly how I feel about it, and try to control it in the same way. Well said.
I’m following a DietDoctor keto meal planner at the moment and the meals are so rich and filling that I haven’t felt the need for a sweet treat this week. Have you looked at them? They do have some very quick and simple meal ideas. Quite a few cold plates with deli meats and cheeses, lots of quick things with eggs etc.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Exactly how I feel about it, and try to control it in the same way. Well said.
I’m following a DietDoctor keto meal planner at the moment and the meals are so rich and filling that I haven’t felt the need for a sweet treat this week. Have you looked at them? They do have some very quick and simple meal ideas. Quite a few cold plates with deli meats and cheeses, lots of quick things with eggs etc.

Winner and agree! Carnivory is helping keep me on the straight and narrow!

Reactions: jpscloud and DJC3

Wilber123

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I have for the first time ever completed Monday to Friday in ketosis on OMAD.

After much reading and navel-gazing and about six months lapsing, I have arrived at the conclusion that a ketogenic diet with fasting will save my life.

Much like stopping smoking saved my life at the age of 30 when I had chronic bronchitis and was treated with hefty doses of steroids to keep me breathing. I always thought that would be the hardest thing I'd ever have to do, but fast forward 26 years and no - giving up carbs is harder.

I vividly remember reading a book that defined nicotine addiction as a monster living inside you that could be killed by abstinence, but only abstinence. After the withdrawal symptoms ended, the monster would be dead and could never bother you again, but if you fed it again before it was dead, you'd have to deal with it's tantrums as it demanded regular feeding once more.

I put that idea firmly in my head and added to it thoughts about how much money was being made out of my misery by the tobacco industry and the government. It worked.

See where I'm going with this? I've decided I need to identify carbohydrates as my current addiction, with Big Food benefitting from my misery.

I know it's not a perfect match but it is sufficient to give me new motivation. I realise I am unlikely, given my track record, to abstain completely from carbs, let alone avoid lapsing ever again, so to continue the metaphor my monster will likely never die.

However I have a chance to put it in a seriously weakened state, where its tantrums should bother me very little. This may be the best I can hope for.

And this week has proven the analogy to hold up very well. I do not feel tempted by carbs once in ketosis. Don't get me wrong, I'm missing them a lot, but I want salvation more.

It may be a step too far to expect to be able to manage the weekend without a lapse of some sort and I'm most likely not going to do OMAD. I'm so encouraged by this week though. I hope anyone feeling as despairing as I did/do who may be reading this will also be encouraged in some small way.

I don’t know why I can’t leave carbs alone. I keep to around 130 pr day. Iv tried to eat less but I am constantly hungry with a ache in the middle of my tummy.
I hate salad. Eats a good amount of veg, all types. I eat cheese all meat and fish. I can’t lose weight. I’m pre diabetic. Am I worrying too much.

Edited by moderator to merge 2 posts that had got separated

Last edited by a moderator:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I keep to around 130 pr day.

That may be your problem.. just enough to keep your glucose topped up and stopping you becoming a fat burner?
Eating less won't help (unless its less carbs of course) as you'll just trigger all your hunger hormones.
The trick would be to cut carbs to an absolute minimum and up protein and fats to trigger satiety. Then once you get into fat burning mode your body will fill in from stores what you don't eat because you aren't hungry. A win-win.

Reactions: anthony113

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello everyone, thanks for the replies and encouragement! After a somewhat off the wagon weekend, I'm back to OMAD for the week and already registering 0.4 blood ketones. Definitely a case of could-do-better at the weekends but being firmly on OMAD with keto eating five days a week every week is great. I've lost a modest amount of weight, I have lots of energy and feel full after smaller meals when I eat.

Due to the carbs at weekend (and more frequent eating) I'm a bit hungry today but that soon goes off. The next thing to tackle is the weekends but I'm going to take that easy for now, I'm just very encouraged by being able to sustain OMAD with keto for five days of the week. It's a keto version of 5:2 I suppose for now. I do understand that my weekends are causing me difficulty with maintaining keto and getting into deeper nutritional ketosis, though.

For now I'm happy that my addiction is learning its place and that this progress is actually possible after being in relapse.

Reactions: DJC3